Widget ImageCan anyone answer my Tour Bus question? | Ask the Band | Community

Welcome to the new Moody Blues Today forums. When using the below forums you will need to create a new username and password than what you had used on the old forums.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Can anyone answer my Tour Bus question?
April 5, 2015
1:27 am
kuklagirl
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi, this has been driving me crazy for years!
I saw a tour bus in 1985 or 1986 in Maryland heading into Pennsylvania early on Thanksgiving morning. The tour bus had a planetary landscape mural on its entire side and the word "VOYAGER" in huge gold and white letters across the back end of the bus. I was convinced it was The Moody Blues' tour bus! There was also another tour bus trailing behind but it was just different shades of blue. In 1986 the Moodies were on tour for "The Other Side of Life", and I remember that they were touring with Glass Tiger. Can any of you great fans confirm or deny that it was their bus? Thank you!

April 5, 2015
11:37 pm
lunazure
Forum Posts: 3294

A nice question. I'll try to remember and look up the dates of tours in the 80s. I've never seen a photo of this (hopefully others who were there then will pipe up). In the early 90s they had a purple painting on the back with a big eagle. These days they tend to have generic designs on the sides of their buses.

I'm afraid this isn't a very active website. Facebook seems to be where all the Moody Blues action with fans is these days.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I checked the dates for your question. 1985 they were no where near the USA for Thanksgiving. 1986, they were in Illinois or Kentucky for Thanksgiving. MD and PA are not on the tour, but of course, things could have changed at the last minute, that has been known to happen. Sounds like a nice bus.

April 9, 2015
11:42 am
kuklagirl
Forum Posts: 2

Thanks so much for your reply and checking the tour schedule. Is there any chance at all they were en route from a previous venue to Illinois/Kentucky?

I can't believe it, but I forgot to mention previously that above the planetary landscape was a spacecraft that looked like Voyager from their album cover. That was what had me convinced!

I might as well tell the rest of the story. It was really early that morning when I saw the bus. I was hoping they would stop at a restaurant in Breezewood, PA before I picked up the PA Turnpike and headed west toward Pittsburgh. If they did, I was going in! But, no, they pulled through the turnstile and then pulled over. I went through and then I pulled over in front of them. I thought maybe they were waiting for the other bus to catch up. So I waited too! But the longer I did, I thought I might be missing my only chance. It was about 6 AM and still dark, but I got out of my car and went up to the bus and knocked on the door! (I am not making this up!) A big man came and stood on the steps and opened the door. I think he was the bus driver as he looked like the one driving when I had passed. The other thing I should mention was that I could see a TV on in the back of the bus, so I assumed someone had to actually be on the bus. Anyway, he was like "Yea, what do you want?" And I was all fan-girly, "Hi, I'm just wondering are The Moody Blues on this bus?" And he said, "No." And I said "Oh, well I am a big fan of theirs and this looks like their bus." "They are not on the bus." "Are they on the other bus?" "No." "Is this is their tour bus." "No." "Aw, come on, man!" He just looked at me. "Are you sure they're not on the bus?" "There is no one on the bus." "Then why is the TV on in the back?" He just looked down and I realized I wasn't going to get anywhere, all the time hoping that one of the band would just waltz right out to say hello to me. LOL! So, I stalled as much as I could, but he was wanting to get rid of me, He started to close the door so I said, "Well if you see the Moody Blues... (and now I'm thinking what can I possibly say?)...just tell them they're the best!" "Ok, but they're not." "THE BEST!" and he was like "Yea, ok." and closed the door. I went back to my car and after waiting a few more minutes, I drove home for Thanksgiving.

As soon as I thought it was a reasonable hour, I called my brother then his best friend (we listened to the Moodies together, loved them, went to their concert together) and described the bus without any hint of my belief, and they both were like "IT WAS THE MOODY BLUES! It had to be!"

So there ya go. That's the story. And I've wondered ever since.
Thanks!

April 9, 2015
2:44 pm
lunazure
Forum Posts: 3294

wow that IS a good story! LOL. The Moodies are sorta famous for being reclusive like that, and besides some of them were probably sleeping. That DOES sound intriguing! What you can do, is check the tour dates yourself. Here's the link.... just go up to the top and click on the year you wish to look at. It would probably help to know what day Thanksgiving was on so you can pinpoint the date. The keeper of this site "Juice" Kelley hasn't been keeping it up lately I don't think, I hope she's ok. One of the good guys in the fan base.

http://www.webwriter.f2s.com/m.....s/list.htm

As you can see, there are a lot of dedicated Moody researchers out there, this is but one. Interesting stuff for the serious Moody fan

http://www.webwriter.f2s.com/m.....nks/av.htm

Another site you might enjoy for pure "just the facts" sorts of things would be

http://www.moodybluesattitude.yuku.com.

If you can find Moody Jill on Facebook, she'll give you membership and you can then post and interact.

If you want to find more action with other fans, might I recommend

http://www.travellingeternityr.....d.yuku.com

There are a LOT of Moody Blues Facebook groups, I'm on about 9 myself, and the folks on there can be very kind and friendly, helpful with nailing down band history. There's always a new Moody adventure around the corner! Laugh

Hope that helps! Great story again... and sounds about right, from the bus driver's behavior (boy they hire some GRUMPS) it probably WAS them!

July 22, 2018
5:16 am
maitrishah1
Forum Posts: 253

cool this post free gift card

This topic is locked
Forum Timezone: UTC -4

Most Users Ever Online: 87

Currently Online:
5 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

nancyg: 5192

moodytoni2: 3981

leslee: 3631

lunazure: 3294

moodyballetdancer: 689

forevermoody: 291

maitrishah1: 253

Eastojamson: 245

milkwhitegown: 190

MagicalBlueTail: 166

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 2658

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 7

Forums: 20

Topics: 604

Newest Members:

nasv6262, orbeau, malansanni70, simonaragazza, MarkBerger, hefide9605, melvinburk, Billie34, Evanyost, Jenny110

Moderators: Andy Martel: 0, Michelle: 0

Administrators: admin: 0