Widget ImageRock and Roll Hall of Fame | News and Info | Community

Welcome to the new Moody Blues Today forums. When using the below forums you will need to create a new username and password than what you had used on the old forums.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
October 9, 2017
10:04 am
lunazure
Forum Posts: 3294
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Anyone reading, please be aware that the Moodies have been nominated to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. This is the first time, and fans have been begging for this for years. Please vote once a day. Yes your vote counts, we have risen from #3 to #2 now. Let's make it all the way to the top!

https://www.rockhall.com/fan-vote/2018-fan-vote

Some background for those who don't follow such things.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/moodybluesattitude/2017-10-09-early-fan-vote-favors-bon-jovi-moody-bl-t24960.html#p194068

December 13, 2017
10:25 am
lunazure
December 16, 2017
3:23 pm
lunazure

This IS a good group..... and I can see how they would connect with the audience and get the votes they did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsPh-EgH65M

I'd forgotten how much I liked that video..... yea that's the way you do it!

In fact they are so good, they get TWO posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Y11hwjMNs

December 16, 2017
3:24 pm
lunazure
December 17, 2017
1:52 pm
lunazure

Denny Laine is going to be part of the RRHOF induction!!!! News is on his website.

YIPPEEE!!!

December 17, 2017
7:08 pm
leslee
Forum Posts: 3631

In one of Justin's interviews, he was asked what he might play. I thought he should do "IKYOTS" a la Cars, as in that video serving as evidence of Justin's testimony in that awful court case. I had no clue Justin was influenced by Nina Simone.

As for the induction, I'm not whelmed. I maintain music is its own reward.

December 19, 2017
12:39 am
lunazure

Excellent comments.

I was thinking "Vintage Wine" might be a really nice song to play. Gosh if they have six of them, and Norda and Billy to help out... that's gonna be some interesting logistics to put together a band.

December 19, 2017
10:09 pm
leslee

They could do a "We Are the World," make a live album, and donate proceeds to Puerto Rico, California, or whatever may be the disaster du jour. Nina's dead, isn't she? (I know that because her childhood home isn't far from here. She's got a statue and all down there.)

December 20, 2017
1:01 am
lunazure

Nina was big in the civil rights movement I guess. I found some recordings with her which were really low energy... then I found one I really liked... some of her videos seem to be, perhaps like Billie Holiday, she may have turned to substance abuse toward the end. Not what you want to call perky videos. I was voting for Nina and for Rosetta Tharpe both, because they seemed like underdogs, and I really liked that picture of the gal with the guitar.

Soul and Blues I sorta have to be in the mood for, it tends to be depressing after a while, far TOO emotional. As aforementioned, I do really love Billie Holiday, always have. My mom turned me on to her, played the songs on the piano and made me sing them. I have a photo somewhere, before it was politically incorrect, of my mum in "blackface" and a gardenia in her hair, singing (in nightclub dress etc.) so I guess she performed as Billie somewhere in her past. (Mum was pretty dark herself.... Native American) I'll find that photo someday, it's sorta lovely. She had the voice for it too.

Nina and Sister Tharpe have both "walked on" as we say.

Newest Justin interview does not sound optimistic for Ray or Mike showing up, and ditto for the Moodies staying together. Hope this isn't the swan song, but if it is, it is I guess. I just hope John tours his solo band near me next year.

December 20, 2017
7:42 pm
leslee

I enjoyed the last Justin interview. I was in trance, and, as always happened, it ended. "Why do these interviews always have to end?" I demanded.

I'll roll with the punches. It's a bummer Justin's people are going to be playing so far away again. From what Justin's said in other interviews, I get the impression he wants to keep playing no matter how ridiculous it gets. I want to keep going to see him even though it got ridiculous long ago. I'm toying with the idea of kidnapping The EVO! for my next concert series.

I don't see the point of dark music. My parents listened to AM radio and classical composers, so I have no nostalgia with the blues. I liked soul-lite, as one would hear in jazz fusion/pop songs, though. I liked to imitate the guys, but there are very few female vocalists I really enjoy. Nina Simone's bio reminds me a lot of Bettye LaVette's. I'm familiar with some of her works, but I never knew it was her. For the longest time, I just assumed she was a local character - like nobody outside Detroit has heard of Bob Seger. Wink

My posts on the board today echo, "A wise man speaks because he has something to say. A fool speaks because he has to say something." So, I'll quit while I'm behind.

December 21, 2017
12:26 pm
lunazure

How odd, I took a bathroom break, opened my Almanac I keep in there and turned right to a story about jazz singers... Ella Fitzgerald among them Ella was marvelous, I got to see her live once with Roger Miller, one of those odd events where a bunch of us theater majors drove from Cal Poly into Hollywood and went to one of the television shows (Dinah Shore) Ella was well received by all, she was advanced in years, and so gentle and nice (sweet). She and Roger did a little scatting... very fun stuff!!! Roger was hilarious. My family was pretty red-necked, but Mom liked ALL music styles (she sang operetta for Christmas programs) ... we got classical too. Katchaturia and Billie Holiday, and Bob Wills, that was our family music. If you've ever seen *The Color Purple*, there is a wonderful Honky tonk scene in there... that stuff was for real, and my uncle used to take his guitar and play in places like that. Very back woods.

The Blues.... it's for sad days. Your loved one just dumped you sort of music, emo, early Goth I suppose. Your race is on the bottom rung, sort of sad music. The music of injustice and tragedy. Marvelous music IMHO. I think in America, the youth HERE took that sound and jazzed it up (Hendrix called it the "Chitlin' Circuit") added the wild dancing. In England, it was the music of rebellion, the poor kids in inner cities related to the sadness of the Blues, Sonny Boy Williams, all that. From "Johnney B. Goode" in 1955 to the Beatles in 1963, is a strange set of years... all mixed up, sad moaning blues, and jiggling dancing, early hip hop ... all from soul music, blues, jazz. Many soul singers were more popular in the UK than in America.

Sister Rosetta.... WOW could she play the guitar! She was quite a performer, I was impressed to find her.

Here's one of my early memories, this guy Lloyd Thaxton came on after my favorite cartoon show (I was pretty young) this was like very early 60s. Anyway I remember the guy's theme song, and it was very Blues. Los Angeles had their own Blues movement.... our own signature sound. But the *Lloyd Thaxton Hop* actually had some good bands on there, some were soul. A bit of history from that "mixed up period". The open rebellion of youth hadn't started happening yet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd_Thaxton

Happy Solstice! I just found something out.... I knew on the Winter Solstice, the sun rises in a certain part of my yard, behind this double trunk pine tree. It turns out, if you stand in the front door and look toward that tree, the sun comes up right behind it. I have my very own wood henge!

December 29, 2017
8:04 pm
leslee

I loved the Mancow interview.

January 18, 2018
2:03 pm
lunazure

Word now is that pre-sale will happen on Feb 6, but you have to be a member already.

I guess I'm going. I just hope very deeply that the Moodies don't schedule anything on top of it, because once I get the train ticket, it's difficult to change .... not to mention expensive. I hope they have all their plans in place by the end of this month so we can make decisions.

I'm not sure the Moodies have committed to appearing at the RRHOF yet.... they are being very mysterious. Three deceased members, one who may or may not come, and four who haven't played together for a long time if ever. Rumor is Norda and Alan haven't heard anything about appearing as backing band (RUMOR mind you, about third hand gossip)

Really would like to know their plans. Subtle hint if "anyone" is reading. Confused

January 26, 2018
10:52 pm
leslee

I'd prowly drive up, arrive as toast, and drive back to work as burnt toast. I don't know. Are tickets $1000? If so, do I pay that and make myself sick of driving to sit behind a bunch of Bon Jovi fans? I wonder.

January 27, 2018
2:11 am
lunazure

Tickets are around $90 in the cheaper seats. I have no idea what they will put up for sale for the pre-sale.... maybe just the high buck ones.

Guess I should go nail the venue seating chart prior. No I would not pay $1000 for a full Moody show, much less a three song set that they didn't seem overly enthused about during the Storyteller. I've never seen the Great Lakes area so that's a minor adventure. I'll be happy to share my hotel room if you do show up. Take a day or two and don't beat yourself up. If you go.

I like Dire Straits and would enjoy them as well. And I like Sister Tharpe too... wonder how they will portray the lady soul singers?

January 31, 2018
9:25 pm
leslee

Where can I find out more about ticket pricing?

February 1, 2018
12:18 am
lunazure

Go prowl around their website (google it) and they should have a mailing list. I get two copies, one for each email. Lucky me.

February 1, 2018
3:41 am
leslee

I went a-prowling and signed up, paid the membership, asked for the spam, and ... nothing.

February 1, 2018
9:27 am
leslee

Oh, I see. I had to be a member by December 31, 2017. The cheese stands alone!

February 1, 2018
8:07 pm
lunazure

If you want to go I'll buy two on the 6th, but you gotta repay me.

I'm not going to pay for front row seats!!!!

Probably a lot of reasonably priced tickets will be left for Feb 8 on sale.

This topic is locked
Forum Timezone: UTC -4

Most Users Ever Online: 87

Currently Online:
2 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

nancyg: 5192

moodytoni2: 3981

leslee: 3631

lunazure: 3294

moodyballetdancer: 689

forevermoody: 291

maitrishah1: 253

Eastojamson: 245

milkwhitegown: 190

MagicalBlueTail: 166

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 2658

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 7

Forums: 20

Topics: 604

Newest Members:

nasv6262, orbeau, malansanni70, simonaragazza, MarkBerger, hefide9605, melvinburk, Billie34, Evanyost, Jenny110

Moderators: Andy Martel: 0, Michelle: 0

Administrators: admin: 0