Widget ImageSay Something Nice about the R&RHoF | News and Info | Community

Welcome to the new Moody Blues Today forums. When using the below forums you will need to create a new username and password than what you had used on the old forums.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Say Something Nice about the R&RHoF
February 10, 2018
9:15 pm
leslee
Forum Posts: 3631
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I would feel very bad if peeps from the R&RHoF were lurking here and seeing all this disdain for their efforts. So, what could possibly go well with the Moodies' induction?

Maybe some Cars or Bon Jovi fans will get turned on to the music.
Maybe the Moodies will bump into a promoter who wants to run a residence in my home town.
Maybe the band will play after all, and the fans will be delighted.
People who have been working so hard on this will feel like they've been heard, and that's always nice.
Maybe the band will get more airplay. (Nothing of the sort is happening around here.)
Maybe it will be a beautiful spring and lots of flowers will be out on a sunny, warm day.
Maybe people in attendance will make new friends.
Maybe John's grandchildren will see his picture on the wall.
The Moodies don't have to pay for their own tickets.

February 10, 2018
11:56 pm
lunazure
Forum Posts: 3294

I forget how John put it in the Storyteller, talking about how he tried to get a bunch of tickets for his family (he has quite a clan, I don't keep up with them) and they said he only got one comp. "They're coming!" he commented.

The more I think about it, the more I'm glad I'm sitting home in my own home and will see it on simulcast, and not far far back in that huge impersonal cow palace. I like Dire Straits.... and want to see how they present Sister Tharpe.

February 11, 2018
1:07 am
leslee

Cow palace? I'd fit right in, but security will probably be extremely tight, and I don't think I'd enjoy that.

But this is supposed to be a positive thread, so I'll say I hope people are not treated by cows by security and they don't have to wait in long lines in bad weather unless they want to.

Something good about the R&RHoF? Justin's going to be there.

February 11, 2018
10:50 pm
lunazure

It's a big place.... I haven't been to the Cow Palace in SF (is it even standing still I wonder) but that used to be where they did all the political conventions in California. This public hall is the same, just a big box to keep everyone in out of the weather. A huge box.

It will bring much economy to Cleveland. That is good for someone.

February 12, 2018
12:40 pm
leslee

Maybe lots of people will see the Moodies on TV and fall in love with them; or as the case has been with many of us, they'll be inspired to be better somehow.

I knew better than to ask what I could Google, so I did. Then, I had to find out why it was called that, and that led me to, "Why, when people are starving, should money be spent on a 'palace for cows'?" We've been asking the same since 1935, according to Wikipedia. I've given our local leaders a hard time over their 10-fold economic multipliers they calculate for giving multimillion-multinationals corporate welfare. I even contacted the developers of INPLAN, the software they use to calculate them. The developers told people getting multipliers more than 2-ish were likely abusing the product, and yet the routine continues. Well, recently, the now former assistant county manager who used to handle those presentations admitted the community is not feeling all these returns they were promised.

The big entertainment box is another thing that disturbs me. We have so much spec development and open building plans. Then, people who make entertainment venues don't even furnish them but expect audiences to mosh. The economy is so out of balance, people can't finish what they start but have to sell it half-baked. Or, they buy a space, polish the concrete floors and turn it into a meditation room. The owner can appoint himself yogi and tell folks to bring their own yoga mats and help pay the rent. That's not an economy.

I can go on for hours, but if I do, I won't be doing the piddly, uneconomic stuff I get paid to do.

February 13, 2018
3:08 pm
leslee

Oooh. Now, they've done it. MBT is offering cobalt blue glasses to commemorate the R&RHoF. Cobalt blue glass. It's so beautiful, I want to eat it. I could binge on cobalt blue. Put me on a tropical island with cobalt blue glass and Justin Hayward, and I would ask nothing more from life. You could even take away the island, and the glass ...............

February 13, 2018
5:14 pm
leslee

.......... except those last comments from me were exemplary of a selfish, objectifying creep. I shall scorn my stupidity and go back to trying to fix my personality.

February 13, 2018
9:10 pm
lunazure

I'll check into the glasses, thanks.

I have NOTHING good to say about the RRHOF. I have no idea why they felt they needed to sell simulcast tickets, in my experience people sell these so you can crank it through your computer while you're in Belgium or something, so I stupidly bought one.

The creeps. YOU HAVE TO BE AT THE RRHOF MUSEUM to see the simulcast!!!! Now WHAT earthly good does THAT do?? What tightwads!!! All they have to do is just let in members, and let them watch for free. That's the last straw, I don't care if the Moody Blues fly off singing hosannas after they are TINK inducted and made all golden and sparkly. RRHOF is a bunch of crooks!!!!

I VMed them today, and just now emailed them, want a refund. I've already talked to my charge card, and they said try to do it through the merchant first.... we'll see if they are "gentlemen" or not about a refund, but I see no reason for their charging for the simulcast. What a rip off!!! Insult to injury!!!

OK rant over. Confused

February 14, 2018
1:07 am
lunazure

HERE... something very nice about the RRHOF

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/moodybluesattitude/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=25705&p=197980#p197980

"Just keep smiling"

February 14, 2018
11:35 am
leslee

It wouldn't be rock-and-roll without the ticket mysteries. I recall listening to a couple fans once saying people just don't know how to get tickets. I didn't bother to ask them how, since I considered myself a person.

February 14, 2018
11:39 am
leslee

P.S. I didn't realize Public Hall was so small. I thought it was arena-sized. I still haven't decided if I should be kicking myself for letting that seat, halfway back in the back, go.

February 14, 2018
3:32 pm
leslee

At least you got a ticket. It sounds like the simulcast is based on the cruise concept of a party venue.

My problems are more like: Er disse koncerter rigtige eller ej? Skal jeg købe en flybillet eller vente til priserne er uden for rækkevidde?

(That was Google Translator.)

As I say several times a day anymore: Nothing works.

February 14, 2018
5:03 pm
leslee

Something nice about the R&THoF:

Wasting $90 on a bum ticket isn't as expensive as paying 6-7 times as much for a bum airline ticket from a shifty online broker for concerts that probably won't happen anyway.

February 14, 2018
5:32 pm
leslee

Was I complaining about something? A miracle happened and that is all null and void. Strange times, strange times.

February 14, 2018
8:07 pm
lunazure

Did you get a ticket? Hope you have a nice time if so...

February 14, 2018
8:26 pm
leslee

I didn't even try. I may be an old fogey, a holdout, but I still prefer people to screens.

Letting the cat out, I'm trying to work out logistics for another venue, but there are so many buts is all. I don't know what it means that tickets are on sale and neither Justin nor Mike nor Julie are acknowledging the existence of eight of the shows on their web sites. Then, tickets don't seem to be going very fast, either. I can't quite understand why unless people don't know if the shows exist. Then, to get an airline ticket for a show that might not exist, I need to work with a cut-rate company with bad reviews. They may be perfectly good, but it is nerve-wracking. Visions flash before my eyes of taking a chunk of time off, blowing a chunk of money that could go to other shows, and sitting, a stranger in a foreign land, with no Justin show after all. I could wait, but then airfare will be $3000, and it might be too late to find a substitute here and who knows what-all.

February 14, 2018
9:02 pm
lunazure

I toyed with going to a European show, but I know it would just be too much, and half way through the trip I would be very depressed and very sorry I had engaged, sorry I had done it.

Yet more discouraging words about the RRHOF. I'm starting to get a very funny attitude toward the whole thing... LaughLaugh

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/travellingeternityroad/steve-miller-rips-rock-n-roll-hall-of-fame-after-h-t11953.html

February 14, 2018
9:45 pm
leslee

$10,000! We could almost buy our own ship for that!

As I said before, in my life, people who want to give me awards normally want something in return. Do you remember those Who's Who books that went around? They'd send letters about how famous you were and wanting you to list yourself for a fee? All they were were a way to make money with little capital investment. That's the angle of flattery, which I consider a vice, for money.

Another reason people bestow awards is to be exclusive and grant access to their exclusivity - academies, for example. I don't like to play that kind of game, but if you're in the entertainment business and you have to stay in the good graces of promoters and record companies or go work as a secretary, chasing nitnoids everyday until you've no creative energy left, it would be in one's rational self-interest to play along. It's a catch-22, though.

Again, I personally avoid award ceremonies because I can't take myself that seriously, and I recall at least two plaques I refused to even touch because I didn't want to be a part of a Mickey-Mouse charade. (OK. I did gloat gloat when every department bestowed every award on me at my HS graduation, but I assumed it was because I was so sickly they felt sorry for me. There were smarter kids.) The work is its own reward.

On one hand, fans really love the band and working on getting them inducted is their way of showing it. So, I wouldn't want to kick any of them in the teeth by spurning their efforts. (I was going to type, "We all love imperfectly;" but then I thought about Justin and remembered to never say all.) On the other, I respect the rockers who see the emperor has no clothes. Justin's wise. I trust he'll say the right thing. He's got a good track record for not being manipulated and keeping his sights on something higher than self, at least that's how he comes across to me.

What, me ramble?

February 15, 2018
10:58 am
lunazure

Last paragraph, aye.

I remember one award I missed.... in the Navy, I got advanced to first class (which is a good jump in pay actually) and I was at the same time, in some training thing, taking a test. I finished the test rather than go to the awards... they had other awards to pass out, and I figured I'd never be missed, or someone would pull my award, understanding where I was. I guess no one picked up on it, and the Skipper stood there with my crow, wondering where I was in front of the whole assembled squadron. It was mildly funny but I still would like to have been there. I wasn't in charge of scheduling was my response.

High School, I was high honors but no one bothered to tell me THAT either, I'm like the person who disappears, and in my lifetime, I've found that a plus rather than a minus. I was really out of the loop in high school. They at least noticed you.

I suspect the Moodies will be gracious, then break their legs getting out of town afterwards, unless some of their friends go to a cocktail party, they'll go to talk to friends. The rock community is relatively small.

This topic is locked
Forum Timezone: UTC -4

Most Users Ever Online: 87

Currently Online:
1 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

nancyg: 5192

moodytoni2: 3981

leslee: 3631

lunazure: 3294

moodyballetdancer: 689

forevermoody: 291

maitrishah1: 253

Eastojamson: 245

milkwhitegown: 190

MagicalBlueTail: 166

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 2658

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 7

Forums: 20

Topics: 604

Newest Members:

nasv6262, orbeau, malansanni70, simonaragazza, MarkBerger, hefide9605, melvinburk, Billie34, Evanyost, Jenny110

Moderators: Andy Martel: 0, Michelle: 0

Administrators: admin: 0