Widget Imagechristmas and seasonal stuff.... all holidays welcome! | Random Topics | Community

Welcome to the new Moody Blues Today forums. When using the below forums you will need to create a new username and password than what you had used on the old forums.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
christmas and seasonal stuff.... all holidays welcome!
December 2, 2013
12:13 am
lunazure
Forum Posts: 3294
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

feature=youtu.be

And Ian Anderson again... playing I believe a Gibson mandolin. I love the rhythm to it.

feature=youtu.be

December 2, 2013
4:26 pm
MagicalBlueTail
Forum Posts: 166

I was hoping someone would start a Christmas thread so I wouldn't have toSmile so thanky Lunie....Wink If it warn't for the music, the season would be...uhm...I don't wanna say meaningless...no not at all, but.....you know....point is: the music MOST DEFINITELY matters!!

December 2, 2013
10:09 pm
lunazure

yep, the music and the lights keep me going at Christmas. It's a very cold depressing time of year.... I put up the house lights this year early (like over this weekend, since the weather was good).... very cheering... we have very early darkness here in the PacNW.

In fact think I'll go make some tea. If anyone is a tea drinker, might I recommend "Candy Cane Lane" green tea by Celestial Seasonings? It's VERY good. Can't get it any other time of year.

Early to bed with a good book and cuppa.......... 'night!

December 4, 2013
8:17 pm
lunazure

Thought I'd put up one of my favorite scenes from my favorite ballet video... because it's very American. One year I taped a bunch of "Nutcracker" videos off line and really looked at styles and such. The Americans have a MUCH more fluid feel to their dancing.... looking at the Royal Ballet (the RAB I think) UK, they have hyper extensions on their turn out that is really painful to look at. The Russians groups often look really lumpy and muscular. Anyway I really like this video, I bought it back in the 80s, seems at the time I read about it, and they combined the Portland OR ballet with the Seattle ballet for this video. Maurice Sendak (Where the Wild Things Are) did the designs, and I think the Seattle ballet still uses those sets....

Biggest technical flaw is the "broken wrist" that some American ballet groups have..... I think it came out of the Los Angeles group. It drives me nuts now, but I see a lot of it in American dancers. European dancers get their arms whacked if they pull that.

Must see about getting a ticket when I have a chance, and can afford it.... I could use a day in Seattle. Yea a lot of ballet people cringe over *The Nutcracker*, but it's yearly "bread and butter" to working dance troupes. I really love the melody in the first part of the pas de deux, and of course, the Waltz of the Snowflakes has marvelous rhythm shifts in it.... the best piece in the entire ballet IMHO. It's one weird fairy tale if you ever find time to read the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....17FA41C5A9

December 5, 2013
3:49 pm
MagicalBlueTail

that is my favorite version of the nutcracker so far...Stepping on that mouse's tail started the whole she-bang!Wink This is a nice quiet movie I fell in love with a few years ago...a hallmark presentation with Richard Thomas, Annette O'Toole and Maureen O'Hara

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....yNhCohTjmI

7+7=14

xoxox
Sphinx

December 5, 2013
9:27 pm
leslee
Forum Posts: 3631

Nutcrackers are like puppets - Eek!

Anyway, Thanksgiving I was with some friends, and a song came on their computer. I was trying to follow the conversation, but I was having trouble placing the melody. Then, I remembered. It was an instrumental version of "In the Bleak Midwinter." It reminded me of that emotional night two years ago when when we watched the orders drop almost to zero on the temp job I'd taken. Our shift rocked. We all wanted to do a good job, my coworkers were smart, and we got along wonderfully. We knew it was a temp job, but we had all expected we'd see each other for awhile. We barely had a chance to say good-bye.

I was sad, and I didn't want to go home, so I went to my old apartment. It was in the Summerfield Apartments. (I moved there before Justin's song was published, so don't get any silly ideas about my motives - I mean, go hog-wild with the silly ideas. That's why we come here, right?) The place was now a barrio, and I didn't feel safe. I drove instead to the parking lot of the 24-hour supermarket to contemplate the universe and let the smarting stop before I headed home. About two songs later, WTZQ played the Moody Blues singing "In the Bleak Midwinter." It was perfect.

December 10, 2013
10:17 am
lunazure

:)

A link to all the Justin songs at Canterbury Cathedral a few years back. Or was it only last year??? (the mind goes first)

http://moodybluesattitude.yuku.....qch1eKWRdc

thank you for the recommend on *The Christmas Box* that was a nice one, Blue. I hadn't seen it.... a good way to spend the evening........

Back atcha.... speaking of angels, here's one of my favorite angel movies. The wonderful part of the movie is, you never see the snake, but he's a snake of good taste, and only bites the people who really deserve it. Possibly my favorite Bogie movie, it's a masterpiece of comedy.

OH BTW I was talking to some well informed 1st graders today who had seen *The Nutcracker* recently... in the version they saw, the Rat King got his tail pulled off!!!! ICK!! (now was that part of the show, or a costume goof up??? LaughLaugh)

December 11, 2013
10:45 am
leslee

Does the swearing in of new city council members count as a holiday? I arrived half an hour early, so I took a nap in the council chambers. I fell fast asleep and dreamed of scoring Chicago's "Street Player." I got the rhythm down. Then, I got to a sust chord, and I couldn't figure out if I needed an E or an A. Then, I woke up. They had the meeting, and I noticed the new mayor's son had fallen asleep in the chair next to me. I told my mother the story, and she asked if the lad told me the note I needed when he woke up.

December 12, 2013
9:24 pm
lunazure

you need to go back and watch The Christmas Box..... they probably built city hall on top of an old graveyard.... the angels are talking to you ;)

BTW I'd send Christmas cards to you leslee, and Blue too..... only I'm not sure of addresses.... a bit upsetting when the same is true of some of my family!!! Sigh so little time and so much to do yet. Need to get presents organized this weekend....

The good news is I can finish the afghan I'm crocheting now! I'll have to post a photo when we get done. Need more blankets, fast!!! brrrrrrr

December 13, 2013
11:38 am
leslee

Nah. I didn't catch it the first time. All I watch anymore are musicians on YouTube, and that's more than I used to watch.

Don't worry about the Christmas card. I haven't sent them out in years. I don't know about my address, either.

December 18, 2013
12:49 am
lunazure

hehehe........ I'm a little old fashioned that way, I enjoy cards. But I understand. Actually the gal I'm teaching her class this week is sorta a friend.... yikes she turned up with an appendectomy last Saturday!!!! Not funny at age 60! So part of the lesson plan tomorrow will be to make her some cards.... holiday, get well, whatever they want.

Found some very fun videos, thought everyone could use some Christmas cheer. I'm happy, got all three packages ready to go.... did well this year, got it all done finally, no "down to the wire" stuff, just some gift cards to buy now. All done! :) Seriously you have to watch these videos!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/science.....latestnews

http://www.aol.com/article/201.....aing-grid7

December 18, 2013
11:10 pm
lunazure

Putting this up hoping to annoy someone............... actually I went looking for Dancer, Prancer and Nervous (the singing reindeer) but alas it is blocked!!! What killjoys, if I could buy the thing I WOULD but I haven't seen it in years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....E35Hcz8MBP

December 20, 2013
10:13 pm
leslee

We had a holiday miracle today. I've been house sitting, and with help from a couple friends and a heavenly host, we got the place back together before the bossman saw it. In just minutes, the accounts will all be straightened out, and I shall go to catch a bus. Whee.

December 20, 2013
11:45 pm
lunazure

Miracles DO happen! :) just being alive sometimes......... glad things are going well there!

This is pretty weird, but it IS the solstice.... happiness to any who celebrate!

December 21, 2013
6:40 am
moodyballetdancer
Forum Posts: 689

LOVED Alvin and the Chipmunks!

December 21, 2013
11:24 am
moodytoni2
Forum Posts: 3981

Everyone on here, have a great Holiday Season!!

Toni

December 23, 2013
11:54 am
lunazure

And WHAT may I ask is wrong with cranberries???? Eat them with a little turkey, and wait for the mad explosion in your mouth......... it goes good on turkey sandwich too!

http://moodybluesattitude.yuku.....rhZlbSWRdc

Sounds like all new stuff, Uncle Joe, Gray and Justin must have done it when they were over here in the Fall. Thank you Jill!

Hope it doesn't get blocked, how Grinchy that would be! Laugh

December 23, 2013
4:04 pm
MagicalBlueTail

moodytoni2 said

Everyone on here, have a great Holiday Season!!

Toni

Ditto--and to all a safe a happy Christmas...(interesting that GF Handel wrote this piece in the springtime, so not sure he meant it as a Christmas celebration but it works out well enough --esp since LSO has really topped everyone with their festive rendition) enjoy the music, at least (the video slides...meh, I must close my eyes while listening and imagine my own-like a full orchestra with a giant chorus Wink)! Laugh

12+10=22

December 23, 2013
4:29 pm
leslee

I've decided to look at the season anthropologically. Rather than letting the family push my buttons, I will embrace the culture. It is like being in a room of screaming Latinos. It hurts your sensitivities, until you realize it doesn't mean anything to them. Play "When in Rome." So, last night, the sister, the mother, and the father were all screaming about the proper way to exchange mashed potatoes for vegetables. I was in the kitchen rolling my eyes. Then, I realized I needed to get in the fray and start screaming my Rube Goldberg, my-way-or-the-highway solutions. I didn't. Maybe next time.

December 23, 2013
11:38 pm
lunazure

Blue I have to agree with you on the LSO "Joy to the World" .... they have a light touch with that version! And the choir blended nicely too, no one off key etc. Can't say I've ever heard the lead in and lead out portions, usually we just sing the middle portion as a Christmas carol. I too closed my eyes... I don't know where some folks are coming from with the slideshows often, I do go to youtube to find music and such, but sometimes they really need to forget the slideshows. Alas that goes for some of the fan generated slideshows for Moody music on youtube. It's gilding the lily.

I'm very sorry for those stuck in nasty family situations. Christmas was always a mellow time for our family, a truce was declared I guess you could say. Unlike Thanksgiving, which was always really really stressful. Mom had a thing about cooking I guess.... Thanksgiving is this big feed, perfect meal thing, while Christmas was just... eh throw it on the table. The kids all helped and were engaged. Everyone got something fun.... no ugly memories of Christmas.... OH except that one Christmas Eve my brother spent in the emergency room.... and even that didn't last too long and he could come home.... on crutches.... LaughLaugh yeah come to think of it, Christmas was the only holiday my Dad didn't pick a fight during.... I just realized that. Easter too.

I'm going over to my son's tomorrow, and we're going to have dinner (I'm taking a salad) and open presents with my grandson. No fighting here! My son and I get up and leave if fighting happens. We're not into arguments! Some people do enjoy it though... .

Went out for my walk tonight, and the stars were so lovely.... how could anyone be unhappy this time of year? Take a deep breath, and enjoy the magic. It's there if we let it be.

Three by Enya..... if there's one thing I'm glad I did in High School, it's that I took Latin, and actually understand it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v.....I4Y5DN9UDg

This topic is locked
Forum Timezone: UTC -4

Most Users Ever Online: 87

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

nancyg: 5192

moodytoni2: 3981

leslee: 3631

lunazure: 3294

moodyballetdancer: 689

forevermoody: 291

maitrishah1: 253

Eastojamson: 245

milkwhitegown: 190

MagicalBlueTail: 166

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 2658

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 7

Forums: 20

Topics: 604

Newest Members:

nasv6262, orbeau, malansanni70, simonaragazza, MarkBerger, hefide9605, melvinburk, Billie34, Evanyost, Jenny110

Moderators: Andy Martel: 0, Michelle: 0

Administrators: admin: 0