Widget ImageFavorite children's books | Random Topics | Community

Welcome to the new Moody Blues Today forums. When using the below forums you will need to create a new username and password than what you had used on the old forums.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Favorite children's books
June 26, 2014
4:54 pm
lunazure
Forum Posts: 3294
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I *really* think we need to open new horizons.... starting a new topic. Being a teacher, I'm always into children's books, some are quite instructive, give good life lessons. Some serve an agenda. Some........... well we'll see where we go. Anyway, it's end of year, and I was just putting my "read to" books back where they belong for the summer. We shall see them again in the fall, adieu.

One I've recently revived is *Thidwick the Big Hearted Moose*. I don't see it pop up often in classrooms, mostly because most teachers are flaming liberals. And I think Dr. Seuss was making a subtle stab at welfare recipients. Either that, or Dr. Seuss was just really tired of people moving in on him and freeloading. Laugh I read it for some kids the other day and they got a huge kick out of it. I think I'll read it even more in the future.

Another one with a similar theme (the hunters come in the end) is *Lafcadio, the Lion who Shot Back* my parents were absolutely irresponsible (or very enlightened, haven't figured it out yet) when I was young, and left *Playboy* magazine laying around the house. This story was marvelous and first appeared in that magazine, I still have the original issue pages around here somewhere. Uncle Shelby is one of my favorites. Kids love him too. The days I get to teach poetry are the best.

So anyone have other titles to share?

June 26, 2014
9:07 pm
leslee
Forum Posts: 3631

Yes. That is a good idea, but you caught me entirely off-guard

I enjoyed a book about a wise Judge Ooka. That was because I wanted to be wise when I grew up, and look what happened. I remember one story where a dude claimed a pauper was stealing the smell of his fish to flavor his rice. Ooka declared the complainant to be correct, and demanded the pauper pull out a number of coins from his pocket and drop them from one hand to the other. Then, Ooka proclaimed he had paid for the smell of the fish with the sound of his money. It was a good lesson in externalities.

Another one I enjoyed was ‘The Avion My Uncle Flew.’ It taught basic French words in a story, and it ended in a letter in French that the author wrote to his uncle. That was when I had the teacher who took me for a dummy. When I had to give my oral report, she asked if I remembered any of the words. “Pish, posh!” said I, not in so many words, and translated the whole thingy for her. Little did we know at the time that I had something wrong with my brain that gave me the ability to comprehend French and even proofread. I doubt I still have it. Even monkeys guess aright sometimes.

Then, we had this illustrated encyclopedia of the United States. I fell in love with the one Alabama/Alaska/Arizona one and daydreamed of the vermillion and orchid mountainsides, the warm desert sun, . . .

Then, there was “Uncle Arthur’s Bedtime Stories,” which I read when my mother used to go to visit my grandmother in the hospital. It was a collection of stories on faith. I remembered reading one, I believe the title was, “Jesus Understood.” It was about a little boy who was in a bad accident. In the hospital, a friend told him about Jesus, and said Jesus would stop by if he put his hand in the air. The little boy was too weak, so he asked his friend to prop his hand up. The final words haunted me, “In the morning . . . Bobby was dead, but Jesus understood.”

I liked biographies, the 200-page ones. One of my favorites was the one on Babe Ruth. I also wanted to read anything I could about explorers of the Western Hemisphere. When I got older, the stories got grosser, though.

There was one I enjoyed at an older age. It was probably the girls I was babysitting that I enjoyed more. It was called ‘The Christmas Witch.’ She taught that one could do anything with courage and imagination. The girls I babysat were very nice. One time, we were watching a movie, and G-rated movies are a bit hard for me to take. So, this dude was up in a blizzard, and I thought I saw a body in the snow. They must have seen me wince, and came to the rescue. “It’s a doll!” they assured.

June 26, 2014
9:38 pm
lunazure

OOo I like Judge Ooka. How Zen. And oddly I think I remember Uncle Arthur too.

History was incredibly boring until I became an adult, and COULD read the disgusting parts.

Alas you can't take G-rated? I enjoy all ratings..... a story is a story, is my attitude. I've seen bad stuff at all rating levels. For example *The Matrix* was incredibly well directed but I have no desire to see it ever again, too unsettling. And some of the G-rated tripe I've seen shoved off on children should be outlawed. I have a very fun Disney "G rated" version of Tarzan, animated... wonderful Phil Collins music, one of my favorites. I take that to school sometimes on rainy days for the critters. I'm a real Disney fan.

Babar was all in French, I can remember the first English translations, and my mom teaching me to read cursive. I think they published it in *Life* mag.

OK stay on topic, has to be a children's literature book. No movies! Didn't you ever read Dr. Seuss???

June 26, 2014
10:34 pm
leslee

I read Dr. Seuss, but not as a child. That, like Sesame Street, was what the Progressive children were into. I do, however, as an adult, find myself having to recite from "Green Eggs and Ham" every fer months.

June 27, 2014
1:38 am
lunazure

Thidwick is NOT a progressive fairy tale! LOL....... nor is *Horton Hatches an Egg*. One must analyze and assess these things for oneself! After all, cancer is progressive too. Biggest problem I had with Sesame Street was that Cookie Monster used atrocious English.... I was constantly correcting the Beastie at our house. "Me wanna cookie" indeed! I do however think highly of The Count.

June 27, 2014
9:11 am
leslee

I grew up in a household where rock and roll, blue jeans, and long hair on men were disgraceful. Rather than calling them "Progressive," I probably should have said they were what the cool kids read. I have not thought of any other titles, but then, I haven't thought a whole lot since the last time, or since around 2002.

June 27, 2014
11:04 am
lunazure

There were a few arguments around our house about the long hair as well. In my brothers' case, it was more like "bushy hair" than long hair however Wink I can still see them trimming it and trying to stuff all that bush under their sailor dixie cup hats for inspection. My parents finally gave up about the time Jim Morrison came around (Mom liked his voice). And we WERE screamed at if the music got too loud, mostly rude invective involving racial slurs. My mom very much enjoyed the Moody Blues, the orchestral DOFP was accepted.

This was a huge debate in the 60s, whether folk, or rock n roll was more pleasant. Moodies fit an "all the above" category. Which is what kept them viable in a mad changing market.

The funny thing is, now that I'm older, my parents WERE right about a few things, and I have to thank them for keeping me more or less protected in those years (even if I did miss out here and there). Other friends didn't have parents who cared, and have more trauma from that time period than I do, to overcome. Embrace the past, learn to love it, and move onward into your own informed choices. That's what life is about.

June 27, 2014
2:02 pm
leslee

I'm amazed at the number of women who whiled away their lives in front of the kitchen sink, and then all those others who lived in servitude or died too soon in war. Why should my life matter? I'm not off-topic. There are probably some good children's books that addressed that very topic. I just missed them.

Back on topic, what do you think of Maxfield Parrish? I liked his art, but I did not like his children's book illustrations. I knew a girl who wrote and illustrated children's books. Her artwork blew me away. I don't know if she ever got published, though. She was one of those talent powerhouses living with mom and dad.

June 27, 2014
10:55 pm
lunazure

I don't suppose you still know her? I could use an illustrator. would split the proceeds 50/50

Children's books about wasted time. No such thing. I have a lovely book *Grass Sandals* that has no point, it's about Basho who wrote Haiku, and just wandered around Japan doing Tao. Very beautiful book, but it has no plot. Basho just does stuff. *I* like it because it's very very very Tao....... kids want something with a plot. It doesn't work in class, and I rarely take it and read it.

Some people are content with no plot to their life. Thus being in front of a sink is as meaningful as sitting in front of the World cup with a beer in your hand.

Buddha sat before a wall and was enlightened, after all Wink

I'm very fond of Maxfield Parrish! Once in a while I see something he did that I don't like, but overall pretty good. I couldn't talk about the children's book specifically. I have a collection of very lovely art deco children's books (with a different artist, I'd have to look up the name). One set of six "Bookhouse Books" have been with the family since 1926. Wright, Parrish, all of them came from a different art world than we have now........ overall I'm very fond of art deco. We have the original story of *The Little Engine that Could*, it actually came from a Bible story book, a very old one. I tell it a bit differently than the modern versions ;) family favorite.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I think my two favorite stories as a kid were "East of the Sun and West of the Moon"............ that's a retelling of *Cupid and Psyche* and also *Beauty and the Beast* very cool stuff.

The other is *Snow White and Rose Red* and that's the one with bears snuffling around the door. I should re-read that one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
leslee you sly boots. Look what I found about Parrish's children's illustrations:

"This week I decided to focus on Maxfield Parrish - one of my favorite early illustrators that we have been introduced to in this class. After studying and practicing art in college, Parrish’s talent was quickly sought after for illustrations in children’s books. His work appeared in classics such as Mother Goose in Prose, Poems of Childhood, and Arabian Nights. In the 1910s and 1920s Parrish started working for magazines and advertisers. I chose The Lantern Bearers from this chapter of his career.

The Lantern Bearers stood out to me in Parrish’s body of work. Its bright geometric forms cause your eye to continually move around the image. I was not surprised to find out that Parrish created his compositions according to geometric principles such as root rectangles and the golden ratio. All of his compositions seem to make sense - every cloud and leaf in its place, and a comforting use of color throughout the piece. Another interesting part of his technique was the use of photography and projection in order to get proportions extremely realistic. Parrish would take photographs of his models posing however he desired the characters in the piece to pose, and than he would get transparencies made of these photos which he would project onto his canvas. This explains his ability to get so detailed in the folds and patterns of fabric, not to mention keeping the figure's proportions on point. The result was a very convincing image that was a mixture of photorealism and classical painting. Parrish worked very large; sometimes his figures were even life size.

The Lantern Bearers was featured in Collier’s magazine. It’s inspiring to me to think that Parrish put in so much time and effort on a large-scale work of art to be featured in a Magazine. Sure, oil paintings were the norm in the early 20th century as far as illustrations go, but it makes me feel good to know that editorial illustration is rooted in classical art practices and standards."

http://illointro.blogspot.com/.....rrish.html

June 28, 2014
9:17 am
leslee

What's a sly boots? I'm not sure I make the connection. Still, I loved the surrealistic nymphs in the paradisaical settings more than the coneheads to which you hyperlink.

As a child, I was more into what the grownups were doing. I am still searching for a children's book I loved. I was more into playing Legos, playing amateur architect, running around outside with friends, and having intergalactic beauty contests with re-assembled dolls. I got kicks from theology and philosophy, too. In perpetual retrograde, I should start reading children's books anytime, now.

June 28, 2014
12:02 pm
lunazure

Yes you should. Nothing beats a good summer read. Thankfully I got plenty of reading in my very tiny years....... had to sneak into the boys room to do the put together stuff. Froebel blocks. Cool

Do I need to mail you my spare Robert Heinlein books? You need a good adventure.

June 28, 2014
12:35 pm
leslee

No. I didn't enjoy Henlein. He's more libertine than I care to handle. Besides, it's a slow news week this month, and our leaders are snubbing my requests for interviews. I will therefore have to do a lot of book reviews on economics and public policy. It would be cute if there was a children's book, a little fable, that taught about opportunity costs or something.

I need to send you ESJ's, but I remain in mortal fear of sniveling back as the persona non grata I be. It's the scar I wear for trying to be nonjudgmental. Yippee.

June 28, 2014
10:55 pm
lunazure

so what's wrong with a few libertines? Yo ho yo ho a pirates life for me............. all sailors are pirates down deep underneath. Long ago I read something Moody roadies said "You're a pirate on the road, you take what you want and you're gone in the morning".......... thought that was cute. All true. A very irresponsible race of critters, roadies, sailors and pirates....... and rock stars......... gone in the morning...... Confused

June 30, 2014
5:16 pm
leslee

It is for me to judge no one, only my own choices, and I don't want to be that way. It brings me down.

And yet, they're there at the next show. I seen 'em!

June 30, 2014
10:43 pm
lunazure

It must have been nice to be a pirate. The wind in your hair........ all that blue water. lovely palm trees........

July 1, 2014
8:59 am
leslee

I'd rather be a producer. It creates jobs for pirates.

July 1, 2014
3:43 pm
lunazure

hehe we call that the "Executive Rat Syndrome".......... long story, but it was a study at UCLA.

It seems to be a fact of nature, that the more in control we feel about things, the less our stress. Me, I'm in control of my own life, Mostly. I only take control of the helm if the ship seems to be wallowing under incompetent management or if requested. Usually the best solution when the ship wallows is to find another ship, and leave the rest of the rats to flounder with their wretched management. I'm a natural follower and avoid confrontation.

I think I'll write a story about a rat on a pirate ship. That might be funny. Laugh

July 1, 2014
8:18 pm
leslee

All I ever wanted was a job with a nice view, and I"ve got that. Wherefore do I complain as the sun sets on the misty mountains?

July 3, 2014
1:35 am
lunazure

well, enjoy the view! Laugh

your attitude determines your reality

July 3, 2014
8:37 am
leslee

I can fly through this wall!

Did you see the Geico ad about why Pinocchio doesn't make a good motivational speaker?

This topic is locked
Forum Timezone: UTC -4

Most Users Ever Online: 87

Currently Online:
3 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

nancyg: 5192

moodytoni2: 3981

leslee: 3631

lunazure: 3294

moodyballetdancer: 689

forevermoody: 291

maitrishah1: 253

Eastojamson: 245

milkwhitegown: 190

MagicalBlueTail: 166

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 2658

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 7

Forums: 20

Topics: 604

Newest Members:

nasv6262, orbeau, malansanni70, simonaragazza, MarkBerger, hefide9605, melvinburk, Billie34, Evanyost, Jenny110

Moderators: Andy Martel: 0, Michelle: 0

Administrators: admin: 0