Widget ImageFavorite song | Random Topics | Community

Welcome to the new Moody Blues Today forums. When using the below forums you will need to create a new username and password than what you had used on the old forums.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Favorite song
March 23, 2014
11:45 am
Goldhart23
Forum Posts: 1
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi, I'm new here, from New Hampshire, USA. I've been an MB fan since 1973. Just thought I'd say hello and ask what your all-time favorite Moody song is? Mine is "New Horizons."--Barb

March 23, 2014
3:36 pm
leslee
Forum Posts: 3631

I can't decide.

March 23, 2014
6:23 pm
lunazure
Forum Posts: 3294

Nee meither. "Ask me to choose among the stars in the sky"

Oh ok. Driftwood.

March 23, 2014
7:01 pm
mushertom
Forum Posts: 60

"The Day We Meet Again". Unfortunately it is rarely heard in concert. If memory serves me well they played that in Wallingford back in 2012, but I could be mistaken. I do know I have heard it once live. Could have been 2010 in Danbury...

March 23, 2014
7:33 pm
melomaniac
Forum Posts: 45

Very hard to say for me as well; sort of depends on the day and mood. It's "Gypsy" right now.

March 24, 2014
7:24 pm
lunazure

Justin was doing keyboards on "Day We Meet Again" for quite a while in concert. I think it was a really nice idea myself, he got out of his box a little.

"Gypsy" does a real head trip on me in concert. I love it, but it scares me...........

March 24, 2014
9:42 pm
leslee

"Truth be told," as Justin says, my favorite may be "Want to Be with You" off Sur la Mer.

"The Voice" was the big, life transforming one, but it has burned over the years.

Then, I absolutely dug escaping with the entire second side of In Search of the Lost Chord.

Ask me tomorrow.

March 26, 2017
7:08 pm
lunazure

Close to my favorite song of all time.... I have the original sheet music. It was originally included in The Cocoanuts (Marx Brother's movie, 1928) only Kaufman said "It Stinks"...... me mum made me sing this at the piano.

The don't write good stuff like this anymore. I've always thought the Moodies were heavily influenced by the movies myself.... there was some good sound tracks put out between 1928 and 1955.

March 26, 2017
7:16 pm
leslee

I enjoyed the nice paintings - lots of color, good use of light and capturing of character.

I'd have to think too hard to have a favorite song right now.

March 26, 2017
10:02 pm
lunazure

I guess I was supposed to pick a Moody song.

Western Skies perhaps.

Actually I was just watching War Stories on the telly (the Boss might like that, it's on Fox Business channel) and they were doing some Pacific WWII documentary. It ended with a love tableau of a tropical beach after dark and a bonfire. Sigh... brings back lovely memories, after work with some hootch and friends just getting looped and maybe playing volleyball. At midnight.

March 26, 2017
10:35 pm
leslee

I nominate this in the moment. The love in their eyes makes me cry, and then I think of how fragile we are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neycPuntcYY

March 27, 2017
1:33 pm
lunazure

They are both excellent performers, leslee. You would benefit from a year in the middle of a college drama department. You could learn all about head games, fake out love, naughty things in the prop room.... a very eye opening view on humanity no doubt about it. I believe you are lover of voices, from your selection. I'm very very picky about voices and often would rather just listen to the music without a bunch of hystronic gasping or screeching... (not naming names, too often gasping passes for dramatics, and screeching passes for "soul")

I really have a hard time nailing down my favorite song of all time. I hear lots of songs and bits go by and always say "Man that's my FAVORITE" and enjoy it at the moment.... then forget about it until the next time I hear it. Some I love for beat, other for lyrics, some for melody. Just heard Bach's Bradenburg #3 trio on the way into work this morning... I listened to that SO many times on *Switched on Bach* that I know each note and nuance... this morning it was the real thing, all with a real orchestra and wicked violins played by VERY good artists (it really moved out speed wise) (and not the Moog wielded by Wendy) anyway that was a lovely jamm, driving along the shoreline to my job .... it builds so nicely and is so architectural. How does music get any better than THAT?

March 28, 2017
9:59 pm
leslee

Brandenburg Concertos give me flashbacks to the time I played a rhythm correctly and so did my friend Carol. The teacher said we played it incorrectly and demoted us to third and fourth chairs, respectively. Then, when our fulltime teacher returned, having been out for an auto accident, we played "Downtown" for chair tryouts. Again, I played a rhythm correctly and Carol followed suit. First and second chair played it wrong. The teacher said something like, "You guys played it correctly, but the other teacher must have put you in third and fourth chairs for a reason, so I'm keeping you there." And there we stayed, playing whole and half notes all year as "leaders" of the second and third violinists.

I'm waiting for a web site where one can hum a few bars into the computer and get the title of the song.

March 28, 2017
10:15 pm
leslee

Back to Marie and Andy, I miss Andy. When I was a kid, we knew who he was and all. I liked his songs, and we referred to him as "Brother Ondie," since there were three of us and three BeeGees. I hadn't thought about him much through the years, but when he died, me and my sister both knew about it before it hit the news - dreams/impressions/etc. I wish I knew why.

I'm going to disagree with you on the acting. I read every comment and loved to see so many other people loved to see them in love. I'll give them the benefit of a doubt.

March 29, 2017
8:34 am
lunazure

Oh sorry.... I was thinking Donny and Marie. I didn't realize Andy Gibb had died even.... it was sorta on the edge of when I switched to the US Navy and semi country music. Those were days when music simply hung on the edge of my cosmos.... I had my head in machines, grease, planes.... that and finding a shower at the end of the day was my world. Oh yes, also trying to get my pre-Kindergarten son on the right track in life while deploying over seas. Etc... whine whine whine... . I did enjoy the BeeGees at the time, but I wasn't much into following their personal lives. Didn't know Andy and Marie were an item.

Anyway.... yea I felt the same when when I got put with the altos and not the sopranos once. Then I consoled myself with the fact that I could keep a straight harmony line and the sopranos could not. Sounds like you and your friend could actually find the counter point, syncopation, whatever you call that "anti melody" that comes into compositions.

I dunno it's a mystery of the cosmos. I wish I could figure out why my cat likes cheerios, you know?

April 2, 2017
2:40 pm
leslee

I didn't know they were an item until after watching the video. I'm keeping that there as my favorite song. The composition wasn't that great. It was on the radio during high school, which was a very depressing time of my life, so the songs from that time bring back a bad feeling. HOWEVER, the beautiful colors of the backdrop and the way Andy and Marie interact and harmonize makes it a masterpiece, a piece of heaven when everything in life seemed to coalesce with perfection. And then they both spiraled into tragedy. At least Marie seems to have survived. "Bye-bye stubborn belly fat."

Yes. Back in the day, music was in the background. The girls liked to roller skate to "Shadow Dancing," and I wasn't into it because there was too much rhythm (as a percentage of other musical qualities). Andy and the Bee Gees were on the radio all the time. My very first single was "Staying Alive." My dad got it for me because I liked it and was singing it all the time. It was the chord transitions that turned me on. I couldn't care about "I-I-I-I" or "stayin' alive;" but now it seems rather cogent since only Barry is left with us. I just recently was blown away at how prolific Barry Gibb was, and how amazingly good his songwriting was. I think I therefore owe my sister-in-law an apology.

April 4, 2017
12:42 pm
lunazure

What I heard of Bee Gees.... yes they WERE good. I think I passed a documentary on them some years ago and watched it.... had no idea they were Ozzies.

Chuckle, I remember the roller skating craze. That was a fun time that I missed, I was too busy working and my skates were in storage. Grappling with with a messy marriage to a very stick in the mud dude, and then full time work on a flightline, then having a baby... .trying to do it all. The 80s WERE a lot of fun... I just sorta missed them! Chuckle I just sorta missed the 60s too, I was too YOUNG for that and too OLD for the roller skate 80s. The in between, the 70s were just plain weird and heavily laced with drugs and sexual dissipation.

If only my Ex had enjoyed roller skating. Ah well. He didn't like any of the same things I did come to think of it. Can't imagine why I chased him down and married him. Bad mistake.... then again you can't tell an obsessed person anything, they have to find it out for themselves.

A LOT of good music went by in the 80s. A good era, yes. I was just far too busy during it to have fun.

April 5, 2017
6:36 pm
leslee

On one of the vids I watched, Donny, Marie, ONJ, and KC were performing. Donnie and Olivia sang "You're the One That I Want" from 'Grease,' and Olivia was going after Donny making viper eyes. It was hilarious. She had a lot of personality, something I missed seeing her only on magazine covers back in the day. You can probably Google into it, but I gotta do taxes.

P.S. As an aside, after watching Bee Gees/Andy Gibb so much, one night, I felt a tick crawling on my leg. Guess what I said?

See 2:53 below:

April 6, 2017
11:58 am
lunazure

How to politely put this. Andy cannot sing like Justin Hayward. Yes he has the same shaggy mullet (?) blonde hair so many girls swoon for. Andy was a boy toy singer, a worthy performer, but he does not play his own instrument... probably did not write his own songs... has no depth or resonance to his singing tones. Great back up orchestra tho, no doubt about that.

Long live the boy toys, because with promo, they can make a lot of money for all concerned. I just ran across a blurb with Chris Pratt, who was living out of a van before getting cast in Guardians of the Galaxy. Wow. He can keep right on dancing on MY telly.

I'm glad you've found Andy tho. We all need to love something.

April 10, 2017
8:01 pm
leslee

I'll post the video again for everybody's viewing pleasure. I don't know what happened, but it put me under a spell. I wanted to demand the universe to have those two get married. They looked so perfect together in every way possible. I wore the video out. I'd never seen anything like it. Marie can be very methodical to my annoyance. She's much the way I fancy Julie Ragins: If the boss says learn to play the trombone while tap dancing by Monday, that's what you do. I thought Andy was a scumbag flirt, but the two weeks of research has proven me wrong. After seeing the "magic" in that video, I had to tear the internet apart. What was I seeking? It was like the guy building the mashed potato mountain in ET. I've never been one for gossip, but I was doing historiography on things like articles from 'People' magazine. (I didn't bother to touch the 'National Instigator,' though.)

Well, today I think I found what I was looking for - the gossip story that tells the story the way I wanted it to be, even if it didn't have a happy ending. I think if you click this it will take you where I want to send you, since there are no pages and the material is copyrighted:

https://books.google.com/books?id=Uzv_AgAAQBAJ&pg=PT790&lpg=PT790&dq=olivia+andy+marie&source=bl&ots=MxHfvY9omh&sig=_WsHuNiXiyPwpREWgr6o--Mg6tM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi7gueYhZvTAhVFQCYKHYu-AnA4ChDoAQgiMAE#v=snippet&q=marie&f=false

I just want to cry. This is worse than Romeo and Juliet. Their parents had good reasons to keep them apart, and whose to say if anything would have been better either way. It just breaks my heart this didn't work out, with all due apologies to Marie and Steve. (What on earth is going on with me?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neycPuntcYY

This topic is locked
Forum Timezone: UTC -4

Most Users Ever Online: 87

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

nancyg: 5192

moodytoni2: 3981

leslee: 3631

lunazure: 3294

moodyballetdancer: 689

forevermoody: 291

maitrishah1: 253

Eastojamson: 245

milkwhitegown: 190

MagicalBlueTail: 166

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 2658

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 7

Forums: 20

Topics: 604

Newest Members:

nasv6262, orbeau, malansanni70, simonaragazza, MarkBerger, hefide9605, melvinburk, Billie34, Evanyost, Jenny110

Moderators: Andy Martel: 0, Michelle: 0

Administrators: admin: 0