Widget ImageLittle kids and music | Random Topics | Community

Welcome to the new Moody Blues Today forums. When using the below forums you will need to create a new username and password than what you had used on the old forums.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Prove your humanity

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Little kids and music
July 15, 2016
6:39 pm
lunazure
Forum Posts: 3294
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Thought I'd write about something positive. I've started teaching my grandson piano, his mum and I decided it was a good idea, and she needs the break too, being ready to drop my grand daughter at any moment. Poor girl, she's huge and it's not cool here either. Orion is almost 5 (turns five ten minutes after Justin's birthday ends) and is pretty sharp.

Anyway we had a really good start last week, we learned Middle C, and a simple scale A, B, C, D etc. I also followed Justin's advice about "letting them just goof around" and I also showed him what my piano teacher called "thirds" which is a mini chord, C/E. D/F. E/G. We're sticking to just the white keys right now, 'cause that's how I remember learning at first. Makes sense.

He's good for about 10 min at the keyboard, then he seems to think he can tear over to the computer and dial in a song on youtube. At least he's playing ABC songs. We got one yesterday, ABC swimming, and he was going "Yeah yea that one!" which was pretty funny. Kid loves water, that's in the gene stream I'm afraid, my dad was part fish, and my brothers and I are too. (My son flops in the water.)

Then yesterday, I got the gremlin for an hour, got to feed him (fish sticks... he's picky like his dad was) and we reviewed Middle C. THEN I got out the white board, and drew the treble clef and E G B D F. Used the mnemonic Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge. He got the Fudge part GREAT. hehe. Making it a game. And we picked out "Twinkle Twinkle little star" which was remarkably easy, I can see why Suzuki used it. He liked that too. He was starting to get "bass, treble" too, so that was cool. He's very curious for his age, a good sign.

Little at a time I figure. We ate lunch, I watched Star Trek and he watched Dora the Explorer, so it was a nice afternoon.

Anyone have thoughts on what would be good to teach a small hopping child? He likes guitar too, but want to teach him the basics.

July 17, 2016
3:29 pm
leslee
Forum Posts: 3631

Nope.

I started when I was five, and we just went through the John Thompson books.

I've never taught a tot piano for long. They will learn a song they really like, but I've never worked with one who had the discipline for formal lessons - but then I never encouraged parental support by taking mom's money for it.

July 17, 2016
8:48 pm
lunazure

LOL I remember the Thompson books! They may even be around here somewhere.

My grandson is pretty bright, I have high hopes for him and music. He was asking all about car engines today... had the gas and the electricity mixed up so we tried to get that straightened out. My daughter in law is going to hatch any day... and full moon is coming up. Life is a bit nuts come to think of it.

December 9, 2017
8:44 pm
leslee

So, I was asked to get out from behind the piano this week and conduct the kids' music instead. I think it was the first time anybody has ever asked me to sing - well, except when Justin asks everybody to sing in "Question." As they say, Jesus loves the little children, so he sent a mighty snow storm, bad enough we won't have church tomorrow.

December 31, 2017
5:30 pm
leslee

My buddy got re-called to lead music for the little kids. We passed int the hall, and she gave me a big hug and said, "The band's back together!"

January 18, 2018
1:57 pm
lunazure

Very sweet! I have to sing in classes sometimes too... avoid it if possible of course. Sometimes it does get attention. I was doing Drama yesterday, and all the kids were very sweet and well behaved. Several were singing here and there.... teaching drama is very free form, a bit like leading music class, you have to let them do their creative thing. About five dancers in one class, all doing free form stuff with their bodies. Good thing they got me to sub, anyone else would have run out of there with their eyes burning. hehehe.

I had forgotten our Sunday School was so filled with music. Yes it was. I always enjoyed that as a kid.

Hope you guys get done with that snow!!! Very disruptive to LIFE but that IS winter. Stay in and bank your fires.

June 18, 2018
1:10 pm
alexsharma
Forum Posts: 51
July 6, 2018
8:17 am
maitrishah1
Forum Posts: 253
This topic is locked
Forum Timezone: UTC -4

Most Users Ever Online: 87

Currently Online:
5 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

nancyg: 5192

moodytoni2: 3981

leslee: 3631

lunazure: 3294

moodyballetdancer: 689

forevermoody: 291

maitrishah1: 253

Eastojamson: 245

milkwhitegown: 190

MagicalBlueTail: 166

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 2655

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 7

Forums: 20

Topics: 604

Newest Members:

simonaragazza, MarkBerger, hefide9605, melvinburk, Billie34, Evanyost, Jenny110, bomojiy124, Doby1996, Josiaheyes

Moderators: Andy Martel: 0, Michelle: 0

Administrators: admin: 0