Widget ImageLying with Statistics | Random Topics | Community

Welcome to the new Moody Blues Today forums. When using the below forums you will need to create a new username and password than what you had used on the old forums.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Lying with Statistics
July 13, 2015
3:28 pm
lunazure
Forum Posts: 3294
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Putting this up for leslee, but it's a subject I find hilarious. I learned about this long ago in Human Factors class.

July 14, 2015
11:16 am
leslee
Forum Posts: 3631

I'm not interested. I know statistics lie. That's why I have been calling it "the black art" and rejected an opportunity to teach a college course in it in lieu of teaching unwieldy high school kids. A am, however, delighted that you do not take statistics as seriously as the local politicos. Frankly, it matters little that people are lying with stats when the general population acts like it cannot comprehend the numbers before them. Trillions in debt? Negative interest rates? Insurance to consume my paycheck and not cover broken bones? What's that to my negative IQ? Actually, you have caught me in a bad mood when it feels like everything human around me is lying, but the worst of all is me; I can't say one sentence without somebody showing me a thousand errors and misrepresentations which I inserted in the interest of oversimplification or for fault of my inferior linguistics.

July 14, 2015
11:19 am
leslee

What's more. I gave up on math. With enough bosses telling me they don't have enough time to teach me to read a clock, divide hundreds into four equal parts, count change, figure out 10 percent of 100, what the blank do I care about being so brazen as to act like I can add. I'll get told to hush and listen and stop being so insolent. This I get from those who tell me Einstein proved you can travel backward in time and E=mc^2. Today is a good day to find a hole in which to crawl.

July 14, 2015
12:51 pm
lunazure

Was it Job who had all the trials.... ? You have to shake the dust off your sandals................. We all have things that bug us. Keep smiling and find the nice things in life!!!!

Bigger fleas have little fleas
Upon their backs to bite 'em
And little fleas have lesser fleas
And so ad infinitum..............

(stolen from a Robert Heinlein book)

July 24, 2015
1:39 pm
leslee

I make my own trials. I long to be free, but I don't know how.

July 24, 2015
7:07 pm
lunazure

Freedom is in the mind..... and yes we do make our own trials. Indeed we do.

July 25, 2015
1:55 pm
leslee

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose. That's why on errands I considered my dissident status. Feeling like a Soviet hero of sorts for holding my ground and believing in Newton, Coulomb, and classical fields and finding nothing but leaps of logic in Einstein. Call me schizo for explaining Michelson-Morley in terms of Coulomb chain reactions. If I'm schizo, I can roll down the windows of the car, let my messy hair blow all over the place, and scream at the top of my lungs imitating whoever comes on the radio. People in the resume-padding crowd just can't do that.

I finished reading Flemming Rose's book, The Tyranny of Silence, last night. It was great and insightful about how thought police go about calling the shots. Rose for some time has lived under death threats for exercising freedom of speech. One of the chapters held Solzhenitsyn up. I got a rush every time I read, "Refuse to live the lie." I highly recommend the book. My only complaint is the work had a tinge of elevating atheism above other belief systems.

July 26, 2015
2:41 am
lunazure

That does look like a good book, but I'll skip it for now... I've been through a few books and seminars on this subject. Free speech is important (as is freedom of expression), but there's a time and place for it. When I started with the Moody fan base, I was at the same time trying to sort out my own cultural roots (Native American) which has an outrageous mythos around it, but is much different if you were raised inside it. And also dealing with doing a master's in psychology .... which pretty much turns you upside down. And a culture shift from military to civilian. All this on top of shifting social dynamics with the growing Internet. Lots of people got a little power with newsgroups, and turned into petty dictators (yea we're feeling the power now!), which really set off my "freedom seeking" rebellious self....

Yeah... we're all getting a lot of changes dumped on us, including societies in the Middle east crashing into western society. Shucks I'm pretty mellow, but even found myself bumping into cultural conflict with this latest trip to England I took. And we all spoke the same language! But man we really ARE different!

Welcome to the Age of Aquarius.

If I may suggest another book, The Gentle Art of Verbal Self Defense by S. H. Elgin. If you were nearby I'd hand it to you. Really helped me out when I first read it.

I always recommend http://www.lucifereffect.com, Zimbardo is my guru in these sorts of matters.

I find that when I'm stressed I fall back on a hobby, and make something. Crochet, knitting, quilting.... or shucks just painting. I HAVE to be doing something with my hands, writing is one outlet. I found at the opera last night, I had nothing in my hands, and was digging at my nails!!! UGH. Making something is great because you have something when you get done. Right now I'm doing a mindless border on an afghan.

July 26, 2015
7:51 pm
leslee

I'd love to have a better brain and be able to keep up, but I can only be true to what little I perceive as reality and logical connections between the various pieces. I always fall short, but I would like to use free speech to express reality as I see it. I have no hope of changing anybody, nor do I have any kind of expertise on what they should be doing, so the concept of defensive speech sounds a little too controlling for me. Whereas you grew up Native American (sounds really cool!), I grew up in a household with high standards, but no religion. God kept giving me reasons to believe in him, so I eventually got baptized. The way I understand Christianity today, the only legitimate force we can use is love. What I'm saying is, I don't know what is behind that hyperlink named after the devil, but I sure don't want to touch it.

We disagree again! Wink

July 26, 2015
9:19 pm
lunazure

I'm sorta funny with religion (never went to church as a kid, or very little anyway). I think you have to know a little Devil and a little God to make choices.... I was just mulling a comment Justin made on the first cruise during his solo gig, "It's like casting a spell" and I think he's right, music is like that, very powerful and can yes control your mind, and does. Justin uses it for good, most good performing musicians do. Possibly other musicians and dancers are more aware of this.... when I studied dance academically the question continually came up "does the music control your dance? Or does the dance define and bring to life the music?"

Music controls the mood... what we hear controls moods and minds, by corollary what we say can be controlling.... all of it, so the other choice is to remain mute if you do not wish to control.... or touch.... others ever. It's funny, I've learned more and more how to use my voice to control situations as a teacher. All teachers do it. It's our way of dealing with children.... make them feel good with a nice vocal tone etc. Then they don't throw spit wads. Smile

"Native American" is just different, and I had no idea of it until I got into master's level cross cultural, like I say. Weird to look at the world through two different lenses.

Ayn Rand was fond of saying "the devil is not mighty and great and noble.... he is many, petty and small"....... something like that. I think when we are absolute, and "reject evil" or the devil or whatever..... that is when it slips up on you. "Know the enemy" and "That which we survive makes us stronger" might be more in order.

If a higher level calls to you, naturally you should reach back and embrace it. Otherwise we live a life of very dull mediocrity. Love perhaps is more like "do no harm" or perhaps like the Jedi Oath "we are encouraged to love, love for all mankind"........... again forgot that quote too, it's in Episode II.

OH go do something simple and fun. Find a swing to swing on. latah......

July 26, 2015
10:03 pm
leslee

lunazure said

I'm sorta funny with religion (never went to church as a kid, or very little anyway). I think you have to know a little Devil and a little God to make choices.... I was just mulling a comment Justin made on the first cruise during his solo gig, "It's like casting a spell" and I think he's right, music is like that, very powerful and can yes control your mind, and does. Justin uses it for good, most good performing musicians do. Possibly other musicians and dancers are more aware of this.... when I studied dance academically the question continually came up "does the music control your dance? Or does the dance define and bring to life the music?"

I wasn't one to believe in spells, but one time I thought about how going to Moodies I let the spirit wash all over me and then I get in that petrified state that has frightened you and others for Justin's sake. I began referring to that as being spellbound. I could snap out of it anytime I want, but I don't want to. It's the best/highest feeling/state of mind I've found. I have to wait for the show to end and the thought of the gruesome 12-hour ride ahead to return to normalcy.

lunazure said

Music controls the mood... what we hear controls moods and minds, by corollary what we say can be controlling.... all of it, so the other choice is to remain mute if you do not wish to control.... or touch.... others ever. It's funny, I've learned more and more how to use my voice to control situations as a teacher. All teachers do it. It's our way of dealing with children.... make them feel good with a nice vocal tone etc. Then they don't throw spit wads. Smile

That's probably why I was such a bad teacher. I could reason with one or two bad apples, but not 32 in the same room. I therefore stuck to "teaching" college or gifted kids. I am totally opposed to telling people what to do. It is rather apparent that you are an alpha and I am whatever comes after omega. I indeed took the Libertarian oath of noninitiation of force. I belong to a church that teaches compulsion (including mental coercion) is of the devil. I feel creepy anytime I try to tell anybody what to do, and if I do, I find out my suggestion is utterly foolish.

lunazure said
"Native American" is just different, and I had no idea of it until I got into master's level cross cultural, like I say. Weird to look at the world through two different lenses.

I took several 400-level courses in Native American anthropology, but nothing higher. I was really into that scene in a hippie kind of way. I wanted to go live on the Navajo res, and teaching seemed a great way to get there - until I discovered with 1980s technology I could not teach myself the Navajo language with 4-5 letters with "no English equivalent." I'm such a pooper.

lunazure said
Ayn Rand was fond of saying "the devil is not mighty and great and noble.... he is many, petty and small"....... something like that. I think when we are absolute, and "reject evil" or the devil or whatever..... that is when it slips up on you. "Know the enemy" and "That which we survive makes us stronger" might be more in order.

It sounds out of character with her published works, where the supernatural realm was relegated to witchdoctory. Trust me, I have no problems rushing to evil and running into temptation. When was the last time you had a friend who said, "Hey! Let's glorify God!" "Let's help the poor!" "Let's get together and do something ingeniously lovely and glorious!" My friends always looked for trouble and I was their useful idiot. I'm at work all the time, so I don't have time for friends, but the boss has a friend who talks to me who wants to stir up evil. Church friends treat me like a spedly. They can't call on me to help with anything because my stinkin' availability is now between 3 and 7 am. When was the last time you had a boss that wanted you to take a stand for truth? Mine want me to spook up stats into meaningless graphs. I record data for no good purpose. Oh, how I miss the old ESJ days when I had to hold ideas up to the real world and try to make things work. With my life now a total pile of manure, the last thing I need is to immerse myself in my free time in demonic tripe. Justin! Take me away! [Insert round object in computer's cup holder. Ahhhh. Sounds nice. Reminds me. My best friend at church today was surprised to find out I didn't have blue eyes.]

You're great, luna. We can disagree without calling upon our inner children to throw tantrums and shut down dialogue - Well, you can. I'm still working at me. (That funny syntax is me not being able to multitask - listen to Justin and type.)

July 27, 2015
2:02 pm
lunazure

No I'm not an Alpha. I'm a lone wolf. I'm often mistaken for an Alpha. I'm only an Alpha in a classroom, because you HAVE to be. I don't dig the ins and outs of normal society. I politely excuse myself from the pecking order and enjoy life the way I wish to. Life is short, remember. I have questions about whether there is anything afterwards, so no sense in wasting the time alloted to us here on the Earth, with air still in our lungs.

Robert Heinlein had a marvelous quote. "The meek shall inherit the earth... small plots about 4 foot by 6; he was a social Darwinist. IE often it doesn't pay to be nice. There is such a thing as an Omega in the wolf pack. If things get too bad for the Omega, they tend to light out on their own and become lone wolves. In my family my natural position is Omega because I'm the youngest. It took a long time to get over this,

Music does cast spells. Alters reality. I'm still researching it.

I don't mean to be snooty about Native American stuff. I will adopt you into my group if they'll let me, I'll check into it. People outside don't see the poverty, the alchoholism, the confusion, the anger, the run down Federal buildings that goes along with it. Our church is the open sky, so that also confuses some. Some Native Americans will bite your head off if you say "Indian" and "Anthropology" in the same breath, because Native Americans are still here, still evolving. We aren't fossils. (Me I don't care, and I sure hope they don't rebury Kenniwick man just because he's an ancestor.... he's also an important bone!!!)

We all have our different supernatural worlds I suspect. Bounded by our own world of dreams. If you're talking about devils, I've met some darn strange critters in dreams (kachinas I think), and right now seem to have them beaten back. Focusing on the postive spirits seems to be the way to go. I saw a spotted owl the other night, so that was a positive spirit checking in with me.

Positive spirits have wings. Negative spirits have horns. Where that leaves the Purple People Eater I have no clue.

July 28, 2015
10:44 am
leslee

I'm hip on freedom of religion and freedom of speech, so I encourage people to say exactly what they believe. I can relate to the open sky as a church. It sounds like a good idea to me. I love the sky, but churches are dry.

Seriously. Did they use the phrase "Native American" forty years ago? Our college curricula explicitly had "Indian" in the course names. I had a real cool prof for about three classes who lived amongst the Indians, took drunken joy rides with them in government vehicles. I trusted he knew whereof he spoke. The downsides of dependent culture are what I hear most. I could listen long and large if you wanted to talk about Native Americans the next time we meet up. You just have to keep it G-rated.

Was I talking about devils? I broke a mug at work, and it is sitting on the desk here with a bottle of E6000 in it waiting for me to quit typing on the Moodies' board and fix it. The dog trainer came in and inquired about it. It reminded me of the time I broke a Strawberry Shortcake mug when house sitting 20 years ago. That night, I dreamed a huge - like 6-8' proportionally-scaled Strawberry Shortcake was coming after me.

July 28, 2015
11:27 am
lunazure

I was dreaming Ayn Rand was having a sex change operation last night. It was a sorta nightmare.... pretty creepy to wake up to.

The terms "Native American" "Amerindian" and "Indian" are all acceptable as far as I'm concerned. Teachers who aren't Indian and who don't wish to be fired say "Native American" and that's usually the PC usage. The philosophy radical AIM members use, is that "Indians" are people who live in India, and Columbus had no business slapping the label on us when he blew in from the Canaries in his rickety pirate boat.

The English have solved the problem by saying "Red Indian" which is ok with me. I do get a bit of a giggle out of it however, it sounds like something a cheesy Wagontrain actor would say "Yep it war some read injuns up there shootin' arrers"............

Yes you were talking about the devil. We Red Indians (Amerindians et al) don't have a devil.... we figure he rode over on the boat with the Europeans! Wink

Go back up a few posts

"I don't know what is behind that hyperlink named after the devil,"

I LOVE this song.... Laugh

July 29, 2015
6:28 pm
leslee

OK. I had to do a word search. I was talking about those critters of coercion. I apologize. There is so much beauty in the world - like that gorgeous weeping tree out the window - and so little time.

I had a dream that the vowels in alphabet soup weren't sinking, so we were trying to pronounce them in ways that would be less buoyant. Then, last night I dreamed I was in a "meet-n-greet" line, and the girl in front of me invited Justin to go out to her car. He consented, and I was flabberghast. Everybody was acting as if there was an obvious innuendo. I don't remember my words, but I told Justin to call us (referring to the fans left inside) if things went bad. When I woke up, I was surprised I had said so much to him.

July 30, 2015
2:16 am
lunazure

I've NEVER seen Justin go anywhere with a fan!!! I've heard ~~~stories~~~ haven't we all???*** Good way to get rolled! Heck I never even accept a drink from a strange dude in a bar. People get slipped mickies all the time.

A quicky in a car is about the LAST thing I'd personally want out of any man. I'll leave all that for the young dreamers!!! In fact I'm toying with giving my meet and greet ticket to someone else at Yoshi's. That's too far down the road to think....

*** another fan just chastised me back channel about "reliable sources of info" ............ hehe that's an oxymoron in most celebrity fan groups! Laugh

July 30, 2015
9:26 am
leslee

The back channel sounds like a place I do not want to go - unless you are talking about a TM form of breathing.

Back on subject: Fully 16 percent of fans talk about Justin's lyrics hitting home. For every one person talking, 8.6 others remain silent. Totals vary as the 3/2 power of the number of concerts within a 246.7034988-mile radius of the speaker's primary place of work on Tuesdays. This statement is made with a (-3.75 + 4i)% confidence level.

August 3, 2015
11:07 pm
lunazure

There are back channels everywhere, in Julia sets, Chaos patterns, and yea even unto electronics............ back channels in signal propagation are self correcting fine adjustments, are they not? Or so I learned when studying auto pilots.... and I think the same can be said of Dolby.

I was just thinking about that today..... why is it, I am VERY fond of many many celebrities, actors, singers, comedians.... I have NEVER felt the personal energy from other performers that I have felt from Justin.

I don't know why. Odd.

And very magical. Some things truly do defy logic, math and statistics.

August 4, 2015
9:18 am
leslee

"I try not to analyze it." - Anon

August 9, 2015
1:34 pm
lunazure

Politicians all lie so much, and those who aren't lying are in denial. I dread seeing the election cycle come around again. I have friends on both sides of the spectrum, and they all swallow the "party line" hook line and sinker....... without questioning what is being said, or thinking for themselves. Or considering the consequences or even considering "if you do _________ then _________ will occur". Common sense often seems to have flown out the window when it comes to politics.

If I hear one more twit bleat about Global Warming and show some imaginative statistics, I'm gonna barf.

I've turned off my television, but they still invade my Facebook... Cry

This topic is locked
Forum Timezone: UTC -4

Most Users Ever Online: 87

Currently Online:
5 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

nancyg: 5192

moodytoni2: 3981

leslee: 3631

lunazure: 3294

moodyballetdancer: 689

forevermoody: 291

maitrishah1: 253

Eastojamson: 245

milkwhitegown: 190

MagicalBlueTail: 166

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 2658

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 7

Forums: 20

Topics: 604

Newest Members:

nasv6262, orbeau, malansanni70, simonaragazza, MarkBerger, hefide9605, melvinburk, Billie34, Evanyost, Jenny110

Moderators: Andy Martel: 0, Michelle: 0

Administrators: admin: 0