Widget ImageNights in White Satin orchestral score | Random Topics | Community

Welcome to the new Moody Blues Today forums. When using the below forums you will need to create a new username and password than what you had used on the old forums.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Nights in White Satin orchestral score
January 26, 2015
2:36 pm
rockridgerec
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hello all -

I'm teaching an orchestration class and I'd love to do a segment on Peter Knight's Nights in White Satin score. I have so far been unable to find a published version of the full orchestral score - does anyone out there know if it was published at any time, or have any leads they could take me down?

Thanks for any info you may have!

Bruce

January 26, 2015
8:49 pm
lunazure
Forum Posts: 3294

I'm pretty sure the orchestral score is unpublished, but if you contact Universal, they might be able to help you. Peter Knight's original scores were never found apparently, and what exists was scored by Larry Baird for the Night at Red Rocks shows, by him listening to the original album.

The sheet music (piano of course) is readily available in many music stores, might have to order it.

January 27, 2015
10:32 am
rockridgerec
Forum Posts: 2

Thanks for the reply - I've done my own transcription too (which is close enough considering audibility of the details in the final verse), I just was hoping that the "real" score would clear up any of my potential mistakes.

Thanks again!

January 27, 2015
10:49 am
lunazure

Don't forget the huge "crash" at the end..... that's the sound of a cat knocking over a bell tree! :)

I was just new to the fan base when they started looking for the original scores (that was spring of 1992?) and they never found them. Larry started transcribing them in May, and with the help of his hod carriers, had it all together by Sept for the Denver Civic orchestra. He did it fast and he did it well. When Decca went under, someone captured the original scores, no telling whom.

I started thinking, you might contact Gordon Marshall on his Facebook. Gordy was involved in coordinating the orchestra with the rock band during the orchestra tour years. Gordy is pretty nice and usually will answer serious questions. He'd know how to get the scores, I *think*

November 3, 2015
8:38 pm
UncleChimps
Forum Posts: 1

Hey guys!

Know this thread has been dormant for some time, but I just wanted to ask a quick favor/question (specifically for rockridgerec, I guess): would it be possible to share the transcription of Nights in White Satin with me? I don't mean to exploit the fruits of your labor, but I recently came upon the song after not listening to the MBs for some time, and as an arranger/composer myself, would love to take a look at the transcription. I could certainly chalk down the transcription myself, but if it's already out there, why not ask I suppose! If you feel some sort of renumeration is in place as well, just let me know :)

Thanks!

~Kevin

March 27, 2017
8:46 am
lunazure

you should try again.... I think you can contact the Los Angeles Philharmonic for more details. Good luck.

July 6, 2018
8:25 am
maitrishah1
Forum Posts: 253
July 23, 2018
11:23 pm
kiko
Forum Posts: 54

Thank you for the information, I will definitely watch that music night
slither io

This topic is locked
Forum Timezone: UTC -4

Most Users Ever Online: 87

Currently Online:
11 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

nancyg: 5192

moodytoni2: 3981

leslee: 3631

lunazure: 3294

moodyballetdancer: 689

forevermoody: 291

maitrishah1: 253

Eastojamson: 245

milkwhitegown: 190

MagicalBlueTail: 166

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 2655

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 7

Forums: 20

Topics: 604

Newest Members:

simonaragazza, MarkBerger, hefide9605, melvinburk, Billie34, Evanyost, Jenny110, bomojiy124, Doby1996, Josiaheyes

Moderators: Andy Martel: 0, Michelle: 0

Administrators: admin: 0