Widget ImagePhotography | Random Topics | Community

Welcome to the new Moody Blues Today forums. When using the below forums you will need to create a new username and password than what you had used on the old forums.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Photography
January 21, 2016
8:55 pm
leslee
Forum Posts: 3631
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

This is a random topic, nothing to do with the Moodies except that Justin adopted Cornland/Cornlandia as his home away from home, and there are a lot of very good photographers who follow the Moodies.

There is this dude who takes photographs of Cornland/Cornlandia for Google Maps, except his photos look more like paintings to me. He posts as Brian Clint. Could somebody enlighten me, as with how he achieves such contrast/sharpness or if there is no way these are photos and this dude is just showing off that he's so good a painter he fooled Google Maps. Either way, the imagery really makes one stand up and take note. My compliments to Mr. Clint.

P.S. The link! This should get you started:

https://www.google.com/maps/contrib/100141108840144756300/photos/@50.3887665,-4.8841524,14z

January 24, 2016
2:29 am
lunazure
Forum Posts: 3294

rather than start a new thread, I feel I should hijack this and talk about the deep layer of snow those on the east coast are suffering (?) from. I hope everyone is doing ok, seriously.... we are doing just fine here in the Pacific Northwest. Sorry to gloat.

Anyway on the subject of photography and art (I looked at the link leslee, and all I could see what what seemed to be some developer scooping off the topsoil of Cornwall and exposing a bunch of chalk) but look at this painting. The artist is Peter Max, whom you probably don't know as he went very quiet and peaceful when the Sixties ended. All hippies know him well.

My goodness if you don't have your glasses on, this painting looks like the real thing.

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/12508861_10154151247985166_1661980133237110304_n.jpg?oh=7533ee4b952e0a45ba628c9ba676c547&oe=5744DCEA

PS sorry the photography embed was taken away. All due to one person who ruined it for the rest of us. I guess. Well just follow the link. It's really really nice.

January 24, 2016
11:46 am
leslee

My eyes aren't that bad, yet, but I do appreciate how the simplicity of Max' strokes achieves the impressions - or is my confirmation bias working overtime?

Yeah, leave it to me to ruin embedding for everybody. It's a wonder they haven't banned me - or maybe they did and I botched the ban, too.

January 24, 2016
1:49 pm
lunazure

Naw it wasn't you. Stop being sensitive Wink

But yeah likewise on Max. I was just blown away by that....the conservation of strokes, and what he got out of each one. Amazing.... I see such lovely art on Facebook,

https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/12509524_10153804035415120_7445642319290601253_n.jpg?oh=e43f3646629d154a811acba0d583694d&oe=57499BDA

.... sadly I really have to dig through a lot of dreck on FB to find the good stuff, and I can see why so many people have abandoned it already.

January 24, 2016
7:10 pm
leslee

Happy to say I was among the first to jump ship. I can't process that much information, and there's no telling what kind of profile I'd be building.

January 24, 2016
9:31 pm
lunazure

I was putting up a lot of 2nd Amendment stuff today. I hope my school bosses don't check up on me. I don't care, I'll never get hired anyway. Otherwise I'm so normal I'm boring. There's some really raunchy stuff on there.

I blocked a LOT of people on the Moody FB feeds for that very purpose and I'm considering blocking more, for their basically inane posts. I thank the skimming skills I developed in college for wading through the extraneous. But, it takes up time and is semi hypnotic.

The good stuff is worth it. Lots of good people out there with nice things to day or share, so I'll stay on it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Next day edit so I don't look like I'm hogging the website:

Well I blocked one person, and things sure seem a lot more mellow on my FB feed! Here's something interesting I found on a Native American forum (I follow a couple, always interesting stuff, lots of cool fancy dancing) anyway, this link has some very neat early photography of the western half of the North American continent. Pre-dates Ansel Adams too.

http://www.whitewolfpack.com/2.....-show.html

February 14, 2016
6:41 pm
leslee

Nice photos. I was in need of inspiration for a birthday card for my father. He loves the Wild West, knows all the landmarks by name, used to call them out to us kiddinks when the movie stars rode past them in Westerns.

What shall I do to celebrate my heritage? Tell a Polack joke?

Ew. I tried to post a link to lots of pretty flowers, and when I checked it things were really gross. Such is the internet.

February 17, 2016
12:14 am
lunazure

Ah that's ok. This is Black heritage month, so the nice library lady was reading about Bass Reeves, who was a former slave who escaped, became a US Marshall (Deputy) Bass was so straight arrow, they think he might have been the model for the Lone Ranger. I've been delighted to find this guy, because his history is my great grandpa's history, they were contemporaries, both married to Creek gals (Indians) and worked for Judge Parker. Always brings a grin to my lips. Grandpa stood about 6'4" and had red hair... must have shaken up a few bad guys.

I suspect the wild west was pretty grungy which is my major reason for being glad I missed it. I love hot baths and modern plumbing. The nicest thing about the Midwest is not the landscape. It's the fireflies. It's seeing the prairie as it truly was, the wild weeds and dragonflies ...... they've restored prairie grass in some places. It really is like a big ocean, driving out across it. Can you imagine how the folks in covered wagons must have felt, going at the slow pace, WALKING across the Continent??? Being out on the roads of Kansas were the most beautiful I think, with all the little black eyed Susans. I had a great time driving to St. Louis and back last Fall, for sure.

February 19, 2018
11:00 pm
leslee

My boss asked me to troubleshoot his old phone today and, lo and behold, I found two pictures of a Justin photo-op, from a 2015, on it. I wasn't embarrassed, just astonished they got there and happy to see Justin again. I blew them up to refresh my memory. So nice. I hate how I look in photos, but it's always placid to stand next to Justin for a few seconds. I think I must have downloaded the photos to the computer to make a printout. Me mum used to like pictures of me, and the only time anybody took my picture was at the DMV or photo ops. Mum had one of me from a Moody Blues Christmas party in a frame, next to my sister with Chewbacca.

June 18, 2018
1:09 pm
alexsharma
Forum Posts: 51
July 6, 2018
8:17 am
maitrishah1
Forum Posts: 253
This topic is locked
Forum Timezone: UTC -4

Most Users Ever Online: 87

Currently Online:
2 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

nancyg: 5192

moodytoni2: 3981

leslee: 3631

lunazure: 3294

moodyballetdancer: 689

forevermoody: 291

maitrishah1: 253

Eastojamson: 245

milkwhitegown: 190

MagicalBlueTail: 166

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 2655

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 7

Forums: 20

Topics: 604

Newest Members:

simonaragazza, MarkBerger, hefide9605, melvinburk, Billie34, Evanyost, Jenny110, bomojiy124, Doby1996, Josiaheyes

Moderators: Andy Martel: 0, Michelle: 0

Administrators: admin: 0