Widget ImagePolitics | Random Topics | Community

Welcome to the new Moody Blues Today forums. When using the below forums you will need to create a new username and password than what you had used on the old forums.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Politics
November 9, 2015
8:16 pm
lunazure
Forum Posts: 3294
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I thought I'd add this topic before leslee and I veer off topic in other threads.

In answer to leslee's comments about Ben Carson can't get facts straight.... I enjoyed this, and thankfully have my cable hooked back up again so I can see the debate tomorrow. Carson and Rubio are both laying low.... they have good advisers, they don't plan to burn out too soon, waiting until later to really open 'er up and run for the goal line.

Carson, Rubio, Fiorina, Christie, and Jindal are the only adults in the room IMHO.... the rest are all over the place. Heaven help the USA if one of these five isn't our next president.

http://www.foxnews.com/politic.....tcmp=hpbt1

I am REALLY very mad about some of the garbage that people are throwing at Ben Carson.... Mark Plotkin, whom I admire very much as a person, author, researcher and humanitarian, is on my Facebook, yet he is putting up very very vile disrespectful things about Carson......... calling him an "idiot" when the man holds a PhD, the usual garbage slung at candidates that threaten someone's narrow-minded world view. Mark is acquainted with Justin (aka Chefs and Shamans) and frankly he's been in the jungle too long. I think Carson is going to surprise us all... he's very nice, one of the things I like about him (and indeed is a draw back to being a good debater often) so the debate tomorrow might be pretty darn good.

Mostly, I think this election cycle will be much like the last one. People see what they want to see, and hear what they want to hear.

I hope anyone posting in this thread keeps it respectful.

March 30, 2016
11:52 am
leslee
Forum Posts: 3631

Politics is the branch of philosophy that deals with force, and I am a firm believer and aspiring practitioner in noninitiation. Dealing with dead weight, force requires a shove. Dealing with humans, force can involve the black art of manipulation, which I deem despicable though I see it all around.

Today, I saw a ray of sunshine that I just had to share. It is the perfect answer to the delusion I feel surrounds me. It's a safe link as I post it to a "New Age Bologna Sandwich Generator." I hope you have fun and feel empowered to rise above some of the insanity.

http://sebpearce.com/bullshit/

March 30, 2016
9:46 pm
lunazure

No thank you enough bologna is generated in a day's life.... I don't care who gets the top job now, my favorite candidates are relaxing on the sidelines. I have no idea why everyone kept saying "I haven't heard him much" when from my perspective, they (GOP) all got equal air time.

Newton's first law indeed. I was just teaching that to some very rude 6th graders yesterday. F=ma as I remember the 2nd law, only the book had it as F/m=a, for no good reason I could see. Half of them couldn't even focus long enough to understand the two equations said the same thing.

Pardon me watching the General Petraus story... I rather liked him, Back to "that television channel".............

April 1, 2016
11:10 am
leslee

Well good for you. I like when people like people. The boss held me half an hour one day to lecture me because I didn't know what level of security clearance the general's mistress had. I couldn't get into it.

That's funny about the physics book. I remember the first high school physics course I taught at a private school. I read the whole book in one night, cover to cover, and didn't feel I had encountered any content. I ran to my former high school teacher (same guy who scored an interview for me at the school where he taught after he retired, only to have me unable to Skype myself in. I was at a McDonald's in New Mexico, Since the interview was trashed, I had time to stop by the Mormon church in Holbrook for another knockout dose of the Holy Ghost, Those people must be doing something right. I can't go in that church without bawling. From there, I went to Phoenix. What was I doing in Phoenix? Oh, I digress.) for help, and he gladly donated some physics books from his school.

April 3, 2016
1:54 pm
lunazure

Well when teaching young ones you really have to water down the expectations. Too much and they turn off and start passing Pokemon cards under the table.

Some of the technically advanced churches have subsonic audio set in the apse. I'm reading right now, about Hubbard and how Dianetics got started (bio of Robert Heinlein) I think they used those (Hubbard was part of a physics think-tank with Asimov, Sprague de Camp and so forth, all friends and foes of Heinlein during WWII and after it) ... makes you feel like spirits are crawling up your back. I should know more about it being a psych type, but I don't. If it was real for you, that is what matters, no slur on any religion anywhere.

April 3, 2016
4:19 pm
leslee

I'm listening to the last session of GCon, now. Robert D. Hales is talking. I met him soon after I was baptized. He was the first General Authority I had ever met. My college buddies and I were hanging out after the Stake Conference session like groupies by a tour bus to meet a real General Authority. I wanted to ask him what I should major in. I had to declare a major, and I was too undecided. He mingled with our little -

He just told the story about a dude with a revelation that a girl would be his wife, and she told the dude she will get back in touch when she gets the same dream. Ha! Is he good or is he good.

- crowd and then he left before I had a chance to ask my question. The next day, we gathered again at the door and again he walked out before I could ask. But, on the other side of the threshold, he turned around, pointed at me, and said, "You major in whatever you want, young lady." I hadn't said a word, he had known what was on my mind, and he confirmed for me that God didn't care much about my major.

April 12, 2016
8:43 pm
leslee

I'm glad Mum doesn't have to deal with politics anymore. The world is going crazy. I walked out of city hall today. I'm supposed to be covering the meeting tonight, but the topic is the Charlotte bathroom bill. I didn't belong. Some things are personal and private, and just because I write for a newspaper is no reason for me to vulgarize what is sacred.

I try to help good candidates on Twitter, but I keep getting kicked off for emulating a robot. Name one person who knows me who doesn't think me totally insane - so how do I tweet with perfect logic? It's like how come I can't come home without aggravating the life out of my roommates for jiggling the key, squeaking the floorboards, or banging the doors or closet hangers too loudly - and I can't walk into a coffee shop and get the wait staff to notice I'm there trying to give them business?

April 23, 2016
11:58 am
lunazure

Sounds like Hales has your number all right! Sure God cares, but it's not his decision to make, it's yours. Free will makes the world go 'round. The world is no crazier than any other presidential election, and the president doesn't matter.... Congress needs to get off their dead duffs and do their job. They need to up their oversight to the President and his executive decisions. I blame the clueless American people. "Become sheep and the wolves will eat you"

Yes I've been watching the NC thing with the restrooms. Good heavens!!!!! Yes it IS vulgar.... but I have to shut up and let you people in NC solve the problem. Having been in the Navy, stupid things about your anatomy and where you tinkle just sorta go out the window. On the west coast, I run into "family restrooms" all the time where ANYONE can go in there, in groups if they need to (often family with a member in a handicapped situation) so long as they throw the bolt behind them when in there for privacy. Or "overflow bathrooms" where either gender can go in.... at so many schools I teach in, the women vastly outweigh the male population, so we often turn the men's restroom into "both gender" restrooms.... with nice strong locks. I use either one.

To make a fuss about any of this stuff is just petty. I wish I could tell the story about having to tinkle on a P3C once and the pilot popping open the door. Still makes me laugh.

January 22, 2017
8:34 pm
lunazure

back to politics.... I've been going through the Inauguration season and watching the John Adams HBO series on DVD at the same time. Then reading *Outlander* which takes you back to 1745 and the Jacobite rebellion (pretty much made toast out of the clans of Scotland and actually explains a few things in my own genealogy) All three story lines have been commingling in my brain, and I've been blogging and fighting demons out on Facebook........

Anyway for you leslee, I do recommend the John Adams book or video... some of the best stuff I've ever read regarding out Founding Fathers. Jefferson is in there, he and Adams were good friends, understood each other fully, and were the two sides of the "how should our country be" debate. It is very enlightening. Ask around your own political circles and see what they think.

Beyond that, I'm rather hoping Barron Trump either takes up ghost chasing, or turns a snake loose in the White House. Don't you know those kids had fun this weekend, prowling around that place? We haven't had a "First Son" in the White House for a long LONG time... think about it. A fifth grader is a darn keen observer, and I hope he does an on-line journal or something... could be very interesting.

March 18, 2017
8:21 pm
leslee

Did you ever see the video of Julie (Ragins) where she is impersonating Hillary?

March 19, 2017
12:14 pm
lunazure

No and the thought sends shivers up my spine. I get the feeling that the band might split along political lines.... and I'll talk to you off line later about it.

What a wicked sense of humor ..... Laugh

March 19, 2017
4:59 pm
leslee

Behold starting at 1:09 here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xA2pK4uKZM

Julie's prettier, though.

Let's not talk offline. My reputation as a horrible gossip/backstabber is greater than I can bear.

March 22, 2017
10:12 pm
lunazure

OH.................................

Cool

March 22, 2017
10:21 pm
lunazure

Justin, Curtis and Julie all have a "Streisand" love deep in their hearts, which I don't share and don't understand (never have.)

I'm more along the Ella Fitzgerald or Billie Holiday spectrum. I like Norda's voice too, but I suspect Julie's voice is stronger.

Lessee who's female voice do I love the most? Me mum had a FINE voice, but it was operatic, and sorta overwhelmed. Her sister (Aunt Mary) had a better voice, much softer and nicer, that whole branch of the family (Welsh) had very nice voices. I love Joni Mitchell's voice and style. I like Stevie Nicks a lot.... and that gal, Sally Oldfield who sang with Justin once. Agnetha Falkskog.... she's marvelous.

Not much into flash bang stuff.

I don't care who thinks I gossip and don't care who actually DOES gossip and what about. I sorta checked out of that judgement cycle long ago, especially since EVERYONE gossips.... I'm just up front more than people are comfortable with. I just don't think political orientation has anything to do with Moody music, which is why I don't post it here, have stopped.

March 24, 2017
10:11 pm
leslee

I tend to like smooth voices. Justin Hayward is #1. Eric Woolfson and Greg Lake were nice and smooth in the ballad-like songs. I was recently listening to Neil Diamond and appreciating his voice for the first time. Billy Squier has a really good voice for rock-and-roll. Roy Orbison was great, as are many others. For the most difficult to emulate, I would name Klaus in the male category and Stevie Nicks in the female. My friend Maggie, I maintain, is my favorite female vocalist. Bernie was my favorite voice backing the Moodies. Me mum had a good voice. I didn't know it until I was 20-something. Our friend, Kris, invited us to a church program, and I was in the pew next to her, and I was like, "Mum!" I had no idea. Her voice was always resonant. You could feel it in a milk jug or car seat, and it sounded nice on the phone, but I never knew she sang so well until so late. Then, there's Katie J, who I once knew. She sang so sweetly, I cried every time I heard her.

March 24, 2017
11:13 pm
lunazure

I still have a mix of Ray's and Tracy's voice on some songs.... backed by orchestra. Soul melting stuff.

There are so many really nice mellow voices out there. Which is why I'm always mystified when someone with low cleavage, enhanced mammary glands, and blonde hair gets up, makes grunting noises and sings like a duck, and makes millions. Stats show that 50% of humans can't tell one tone from another anyway. Cry

That was a bit negative, but honestly... ... it wasn't Beyonce, Brittany Spears? She got posted on the "what are you hearing" thread a few months back.

I guess anything is better than talking about Congress and their shenanigans today.

March 25, 2017
7:32 am
leslee

I've only heard about two people that sing worse than me. I can hear tones, but for the longest time, I couldn't get my voice to go where I wanted. Then, after taking something for laryngitis, the problem fixed. I recall singing with Lesley Gore in the car and realizing, "Hey, I can't do that!" So, just because people can't articulate doesn't mean they don't know. I'm always amazed at how the kids at church sing on-key, and I find special satisfaction when people nail notes with no perceptible delta-frequency. Justin does it often. George Benson was very good at it, but he is said to have only had near-perfect pitch.

March 27, 2017
1:37 pm
lunazure

I'm having the most pleasant experience today. I have a class of Civics, and the teacher actually is keeping her own agenda out of it. How REFRESHING. Liberals and Conservatives alike are ok with bringing up their preferences, and only one real nut case.... he seems to have spectrum disorder, very mild.

It gives me hope in the educational system after all. Laugh

March 27, 2017
8:37 pm
lunazure

Saw this movie today. (Good civics class, the instructor was said to be totally neutral and left her own personal politics at the door... good for her!) It was an enjoyable fairy tale more than anything else... handsome king falls in love with a minion, "sort of thing". Felt like slapping a couple of political characters, they were so nauseating. The two bills they were throwing around reflected an obvious liberal bias in the production, and it was not realistic that a widower president would be open and obvious about a personal relationship. Mixing personal and professional is rarely a good idea... as a German officer once said to my dad... "business is business and schnapps is schnapps"........... ie keep your personal stuff out of the place of business.

But, having said all that... unrealistic as the story was, it seemed to have been filmed in the White House, or in a very good copy of the White House. Really nice in that sense. And, I always enjoy a fairy tale.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112346/

April 7, 2017
11:00 am
lunazure

Presented with all due humility and humor. Notice that Darth Vader is at the helm.

This topic is locked
Forum Timezone: UTC -4

Most Users Ever Online: 87

Currently Online:
5 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

nancyg: 5192

moodytoni2: 3981

leslee: 3631

lunazure: 3294

moodyballetdancer: 689

forevermoody: 291

maitrishah1: 253

Eastojamson: 245

milkwhitegown: 190

MagicalBlueTail: 166

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 2658

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 7

Forums: 20

Topics: 604

Newest Members:

nasv6262, orbeau, malansanni70, simonaragazza, MarkBerger, hefide9605, melvinburk, Billie34, Evanyost, Jenny110

Moderators: Andy Martel: 0, Michelle: 0

Administrators: admin: 0