Widget ImageSay Something Good about Winter | Random Topics | Community

Welcome to the new Moody Blues Today forums. When using the below forums you will need to create a new username and password than what you had used on the old forums.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Say Something Good about Winter
January 5, 2014
7:17 pm
leslee
Forum Posts: 3109
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

1. The rivers here turn a really cool shade of green.
2. Justin posted three missives in rapid succession.
3. North Carolina winters are not as cold as Michigan winters.
4. The Moody Blues will start touring.

January 5, 2014
10:52 pm
lunazure
Forum Posts: 3054

I think snow is beautiful

I work

I can cook in the house and not have it get too hot. (I cook a lot more in the winter... warms stuff up, have spaghetti squash on right now) BTW leslee, I had some carrot juice today at Costco and almost urped. I don't know how you stand that stuff. It's just NOT my cup of tea... but I respect your tastes anyway.

Another nice thing about winter is I have an excuse to stay inside and knit. (The sun shone for two days, so I was forced to go out and prune trees, then take the detritus to the dump)

Christmas lights are very nice too. It's darker longer and that really helps my messed up sleep patterns.

I like that about the green rivers. I almost bought a green sweater today (mint green) then decided it looked like the paint on a cheap hotel and put it back.

The Moodies are like the wind, they can tour at any time or season. Thank goodness!!!

January 6, 2014
10:21 am
leslee

You have to get the good stuff. Of the kinds I've had, I only like Naked and Odwalla. Other brands, including Bolthouse, are gnarly.

Anything south of the tropics, inclusive, is good in winter, too.

Maybe if I open an imaginary door to the inside of my imaginary heart for my imaginary friend, it won't be so cold. (What will the imaginary cardiologist think?)

January 6, 2014
11:05 am
moodytoni2
Forum Posts: 3981

I really don't have anything good to say about Winter--it sucks when it's bitterly cold!!

Toni

January 6, 2014
6:32 pm
lunazure
January 6, 2014
7:27 pm
leslee

Glad to see your fingers aren't (weren't) frozen, Toni.

I recall waiting outside the DAR in Washington, DC for a show. The people who ran the joint would have rather seen us freeze than let us inside early. Rather than doing group jumping jacks, I decided to start that line game. The category was cold. "A is for Arctic," said I.

I clearly remember the next guy in line getting up in my face and saying, "B is for BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!"

January 6, 2014
11:37 pm
lunazure

That WAS a cold night. I don't remember who did what and to whom.... you did give me a lift to the subway I remember (thank you again, there was a shooting the next week)

Yeah you guys be careful and try to stay home.... employers shouldn't be insisting on people coming into work. But think positive. It will get warmer! Unless we've all fallen into a Doomsday movie or something.

January 7, 2014
10:47 am
leslee

I didn't have to come into work. I was already there. The car was broken. Whee!

January 9, 2014
12:57 am
lunazure

I'm glad it was only a spark plug.... yep those are pretty easy! My favorite trick is to try changing my own spark plugs, and pulling the cheap cables apart. With Strider, you have to crawl under and take out the oil filter to get to the back ones... always an adventure.

It was very chilly in the garage putting in that battery the other day, and I'm really glad I don't do that for a living anymore. Wrenches are very very cold.

Isn't it curious that when it looks like you're blowing someone a kiss, it's really sign language for "thank you"??? Think of the opportunity to misinterpret.... it's all about the communication after all....

January 9, 2014
9:34 am
leslee

So, when Justin is saying, "thank you," he is really blowing me kisses? I knew it!

Why be cold when I have my imagination to keep me warm?

January 9, 2014
6:59 pm
Gwen
Forum Posts: 24

Up here in Wisconsin we are having a very cold winter. As always, it is best to stay positive. So here goes.
The first good thing I will say about winter is that I love my scarf. I have been wearing it almost constantly and it may be starting to become an unnatural sort of love.
Secondly, winter is a great time to be underneath a warm blanket with a special someone, if you have a special someone that is.
As for "getting out there," well... I remember when I was young I would put my ice skates on and skate across the lake and back. It was quite a long distance and I am amazed now at what great shape I was in then. And whether I had on "Momma's nylons underneath my cowgirl jeans" as Joni Mitchell sang, or longies underneath a pair of my brother's hand-me-down jeans, my legs would always feel like icicles by the time I got home.
These days I do my best to get my boots on and stomp around the block or so before the sun sets. I think we get about two minutes each day.
Oh, and winter is a great time to get good at a computer game, or to type on a web page, except that this one has such a teeny tiny font in such a glaring contrast that I am afraid it is too hard on my ag-ed eyes.
Oh yes, there is one more thing I like about winter: Other than any spiders that you may be harboring underneath the stairs, no insect ever gets very large.

January 9, 2014
9:30 pm
lunazure

:) I know what you mean about certain scarves.... and blankets. It's very difficult getting up in the morning in this cold house, and leaving all my imaginary friends, dreams and adventures under the comforter. I've never lived in THAT cold a part of the country! Seattle is plenty cold enough for me! :)

One unusually unpleasant thing about winter for me is I seem to have varmints in my walls. Can't find the hole they're coming through. I suspect squirrels. We have rats, raccoons, cats, gophers etc here.... they get a little noisy sometimes and I sure hope they don't have an appetite for copper wire. :P Poor things are just cold, I feel bad about putting out poison for them, but might have to. I sure wish they'd go back to sleep and hibernate!

January 9, 2014
10:11 pm
leslee

Ah, yes. I'm from suburban Detroit. Back then, a teeny ant in the house was cause for the mum to call the man of the house to get rid of it. Then, I moved here to Appalachia. I was house-sitting for my boss. He called one night. I had been hiding under the bed. I kept hearing noises. I remember screaming each time I heard it. He assured me, "It's OK. We don't allow evil spirits in the house." It had never entered my mind it was critters instead of prowlers. But I was comforted to know they could take my body, but not my soul.

It was cold down here, but not Wisconsin cold. The current boss was out of the nursing home all frail and elderly. He asked if I could overnight and sleep on the couch. He looked like he might die, and so I didn't care to leave. He had a new heat pump installed while he was in the nursing home, too. It was working fine, but the supplemental heat didn't kick in. I went to Lowe's to get a space heater, but I couldn't crank that high enough to handle the negative Fahrenheit. I was in a quandary. I had no ideas.

I had an inspiration to call a lady from his church. She immediately offered to bring over a couple more space heaters. Then, she hit the right button on the space heater I had brought. We got in touch with the landlord, and within about three days we finally got the supplemental heater working. Now, had I studied HVAC, I could have eliminated a lot of human suffering.

Fortunately for me, when I went to visit the parents over Christmas, they insisted I take my high-school coat with me. I whined saying it never gets cold enough down here. It didn't feel as good as an unnatural scarf or an imaginary friend, but it saved me from going crazy with hypothermia. Yay.

So, the somethings good would be:

1) The boss' friend Nancy who is truly angelic and knowledgeable about HVAC.
2) My parents' foresight in demanding I take . . .
3) This nice, warm coat.
4) And my all-time favorite sport - sitting on the heater.

I agree, Gwen, about the design of this page. There is something dark and sinister about the black background and the tiny print. I so much love Justin's site with the cheery white and red.

January 9, 2014
10:13 pm
leslee

P.S. I don't think I could coax my imaginary friend to join me under the covers, but the idea gives me a strange sense of the giggles.

Did I say that?

January 10, 2014
12:45 am
Gwen

Well, I have found that putting poison in the walls and attic only causes dead things and awful smells. The best thing to do if you have critters is, I guess, to plug up every hole. Which is impossible.
My daughter has definite movement in her walls. I blame the vinyl siding. Our old house had plain wood siding and was rodent-free. No place to hide, not like this fifties suburb.
My scarf is a highly personal thing and I should never have introduced her or him. But OMG it has saved my life. Just ask the doctor... 5 or 6?
I love your home cities, Detroit and Seattle are both incredible beautiful cities.
Heat is the same no matter where or whence it comes. It is love which may be lacking.

January 10, 2014
10:00 am
leslee

You are correct, Gwen. I do not love. My life is too absurd. Right now, my love life consists of a stalker with a criminal record who will not stop short of breaking into a church. He has received a revelation that he must marry me and only me. And he wants to play Adam and Eve where Eve, lacking a brain, consists of only two instincts. He has clinical diagnoses, and so I don't want to make light of him. I only want to avoid him. I have some friends who act as body guards if I need it. Nuff said on that.

I try to serve others during my waking hours, but many times regret doing what I feel is nonsense when I feel there are greater needs elsewhere. I have an evil trick of walking the boss' dog when I really want the dog to walk me. I also write book reviews so I can justify setting aside time to read. The big exception is when, I greedily seize my vacations to run off and enjoy Moody Blues concerts. Then, it's back to the old grind. I whine a lot, but it is more to share something funny than to reach out for rescue from victimhood. (I haven't brushed my teeth or used deodorant in a week because I can't justify that kind of personal time off right now.)

Following the big lawsuit and all the evil stunts I found myself tricked into, the creative part of my brain died. I find it impossible to believe myself capable of doing anything right. For example, the boss is convalescing, and he doesn't want to pay a second or third shift to help. I had gotten about two or three hours of sleep the night before. Now, it was 2:30 in the morning. He wanted a foot bath. Stupid me. I tried to fill the soaking tub in the sink. No. One must fill it on the floor. One must use only one cup to transport the water. One must put the hot water in first. I didn't know all this. Everything I was doing was WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! I was so sleep-deprived, I couldn't see clearly, I had no hand-eye coordination, and I was shaking. 3:00-3:30 was time to listen to a hate speech about his brother. The point is, it is hard to love, as love is service, when I don't even know after hours of training, how to properly organize pencils in the pencil holder, etc., etc.

I tell myself what he really wants is command and control, but personally I believe that is the root of all evil. If I rebel, I'm out on my ear again and penniless for doing what I think is right. Right now, I think it is worse to make others work twice as hard at stupid jobs so they can support me. I should have been a musician.

It is hard to find real work. Organizations are hiring people to tell other people what to do (managers) or play regulation/compliance games. I often wonder what it would be like to live in Ancient Israel when the politically-correct craze was building the Kingdom of God. "I'm loving my brother. what of it?" Wouldn't you love to wake up in the morning fresh with ideas on how you were going to ease suffering and just go about doing it?

Instead, the conceptual training I received from good teachers is not in demand. I try, I fail, and the last thing I want to do is get ooey-gooey and sniffle and fan my face in an endearing manner because I am so emotional. I ordered Donald Fagen's book, because I think I will be able to relate to his perspectives.

I even dreamed last night (What am I doing sleeping?) that I saw Justin in public somewhere. I went to hide in my car. He walked past very, very slowly; five slow paces per parking space. I had tons of time to think as he passed right by my car. I could have gotten out to talk to him, but I told myself I had nothing of worth to say (So what am I doing here?), and that if he wanted to talk to me, he would. Ladies don't approach gentlemen. He was going to go inside a building, and he was loaded down with all kinds of papers and equipment for the studio. I so wanted to run ahead and get the door and say, "Allow me!" but I was too afraid. I was sure I was creeping him out and that he would rather drop, scatter, and break everything than have me in his life for two seconds.

What do I like about winter? I like Gwen's poetic writing style. Really.

January 10, 2014
11:27 am
lunazure

I like Gwen too. Please don't let us scare you off. We need fresh input.

I dreamed about Justin last night too, only I think it was someone else in that "brain slot"....... not sure I'd like to share it, it was complicated, but G rated.

Be careful with foot baths... it's possible to scald feet. Not pretty. I bought one with foaming bubbles for Dad, put soap in it once and had a real foamy problem all over the filthy front room carpet.

Good news about the space heater.... mine too isn't up to par, and I think it's switchology.

Must dash, time for work. Looking forward to a weekend... two days of "sleep when you want" time... Have a good day, all!

January 10, 2014
12:08 pm
leslee

And why do I have to do a forensic audit every time I open the cleaning lady's pay record???????? I could do something useful if the numbers would stay where I leave them. My predecessor had to pass protect her spreadsheets. Hmmmmmmm.

Seriously. I don't know how to hate people, which is more a physiological condition than a virtue cultivated with effort. I just would rather cycle out of this lameness.

January 10, 2014
3:33 pm
leslee

Me happy. I stopped by the house and got reunited with my toothbrush and deodorant. I haven't seen them in a full week. Taking Justin's advice, I am now holding them close. Life is good.

January 10, 2014
4:34 pm
Gwen

She said LOVE LORD ABOVE now you're tryin'a trick me in love!
I guess what I was trying to say last night is that we need to have a reason. I'm no idiot. I know that life is just a cruel joke, a long winter that ends with a tree growin over ya in the springtime. I know. But why do I still pull the covers back at some point and rise? Why put those boots on at all? I guess it must be for my animals and my daughter. They need me.
leslee, your writing is so dense that it is hard for me to pick a single topic to respond to. Interestingly, I too had a stalker. It was when I was a teenager. A girlfriend of mine became schizophrenic and developed a sexual attraction for me. We later patched things up but she never really lost her obsession. I am back to trying to avoid her again but that doesn't keep her from leaving greetings on my answering machine from time to time.
Let's remember that there is nothing wrong with a good dose of self-esteem. My brother told me that he got tired and almost snapped at the choir director this past year at Christmas pageant time. He said "I almost told him to stop leaning on me so hard. What do you think we pay you for anyway?" I said "For God's sake Bro, you have four kids at home and a very demanding job in L.A., of course you're tired!" People get tired. People need space. And sometimes they need space in order to remember why they even need to be here. It has occurred to me that in another life I could have been a nun. Not that I am so religious, but that it would be interesting to have my reason for being slammed into my head every day.
Gotta go. Have my own little Justin story. Shared my scarf thing, maybe I can trust y'all with it later.

Forum Timezone: UTC -4

Most Users Ever Online: 87

Currently Online:
6 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

nancyg: 5192

moodytoni2: 3981

leslee: 3109

lunazure: 3054

moodyballetdancer: 687

forevermoody: 290

milkwhitegown: 190

MagicalBlueTail: 166

Pammypoo: 70

magicalbluetail: 63

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 1560

Moderators: 4

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 7

Forums: 20

Topics: 418

Newest Members:

merissaaddison, englewZet, elianahermione, luvmoodies, lucygray, aylazander, Jamesdqg, oliviasmithj, Jamestnf, anjilosmith

Moderators: Andy Dresser: 0, Andy Martel: 0, Michelle: 0, Karen Cole: 0

Administrators: admin: 0