Widget ImageSchizophonics | Random Topics | Community

Welcome to the new Moody Blues Today forums. When using the below forums you will need to create a new username and password than what you had used on the old forums.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Schizophonics
July 4, 2016
10:39 am
leslee
Forum Posts: 3631
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Walking the Evo this morning, I fantasized again about maybe some day revolutionizing the world of music. I have no idea what that would entail. I've thought before about learning more about synthesized sound and doing something totally un-thunk of. I had a chance to work for Moog before the place grew into what it is now, when Robert was still alive. I didn't appreciate what he was doing then, so I stuck with my job. I still would love to research and invent, but the corporate culture would probably not fit me. They're really into marketing to the new generations, which means their marketing staff always seems to wear black, etc. Don't get me wrong, I really like Mike Adams. He's somewhat of a hero because he's such a business genius. I just would prefer a quiet, worker-ant life for myself.

I thought of the Moog guitar, and then my mind went to thinking an invention in the acoustic (unplugged) realm might be more appreciated. I went back to another fantasy of studying cathedrals and even the instructions for Solomon's Temple to see if there were among the instructions lost knowledge about acoustic design, some freaky thing like walls located at multiples of quarter wavelengths for all tones on the pentatonic C major scale or something. A smaller thing would be taking this down to a single instrument, and I thought of Justin's guitar with the uncentered sound hole.

That led my disordered thought process back to the ellipse. A former boss wrote a paper on, "the focusing property of an ellipse." I didn't think much of it at the time, as it was totally geometric, without an engineering angle. But, thinking how all linear representations of waves reflect through one or the other focus, I wondered what would happen in an elliptical instrument, like a lute, with a sound hole over a focus (or, as I write this, even a sound hole over both). Then, I thought of the sound hole and assumed an analogy to Babinet's principle surely happened at the edges. That made me appreciate how this is minimized, as Mike taps and strums in-tune. Surely, the sound hole has no effect on tapping. What would a Babinet compensator for a guitar's sound hole look like, and would it be worth a flip.

I got to thinking about the source of my insanity: How I assumed light was created by an excitation and de-excitation of an electron, which was an oscillating charge; and so wondered why Hertzian dynamics did not also apply. (Don't repeat that sentence. It's like a death sentence. You sound much more credible if you say, "Light is the bending of space with muons and pions dancing in and out of time through wormholes and tunnels and interacting with quarks through multidimensional synthesis. Einstein said so." It matters not that the former explains all optical phenomena in undergraduate physics texts and the latter is word salad with no physical interpretation. Just try it sometime and see what happens.) So, thinking as crazy simpletons do, that light was oscillation of charge and sound was oscillation of mass; I asked what kind of optical phenomena could we transfer to acoustic analogs. I wondered what an acoustic hologram might be. Then, I got distracted, probably remembering some heavy insult somebody lodged at me and got all into self-persecution, and forgot to get back to trying to help humanity.

So, to make a long story short, I was wondering if anybody could comment about a string instrument with an elliptical design, sized to match multiples of wavelengths (or halves thereof) of a majority of notes in today's scales, and having holes with Babinet compensation over the foci.

No. Seriously.

July 4, 2016
12:56 pm
lunazure
Forum Posts: 3294

I actually got the bit about foci of ellipses (the sun sits at one foci of the Earth's orbit, yaddah yaddha) .... but all I can think of is ocarinas, which are sorta fat squat ceramic flutes. I've never noticed a difference in tone between those and regular flutes. I'm the wrong person to talk to about tone in an instrument, my ears aren't that finely tuned. Guitar wise, the only ellipse I've noticed is the hole on the McPherson Justin uses for "Nights"

McPhersons do not impress me. Arlo Guthrie gets a lot more out of his McPherson than Justin does.

It seems to me that something like this might be going on ANYWAY with guitars. I can't begin to imagine the route sound waves take inside a shape like a guitar, and neither can you probably (corrections welcome if accompanied by a diagram.) The shapes of guitars (and the other string instruments) were apparently arrived at organically, ie via trial and error.

Marvelous thoughts, but be careful when walking and thinking at the same time. I've been known to trip over cracks in the sidewalk. I generally just enjoy the scenery on my walks, but last night I got to see the ferry all lit up again headed to Seattle. And I saw a BIG owl flying to the forest too. May all our walks be lovely ones.

July 4, 2016
8:52 pm
leslee

I find it hard to believe the wood of violins, violas, cellos, basses, etc. are designed for sound. I never read anything about it, as it would be most curious - nonscale notes get caught in eddy currents in the little corners? I think not. While we're on the subject, why do turned table legs of colonial furniture come with all those rings and such; or worse, why does so much wooden furniture have animal feet? Eek!

July 4, 2016
8:57 pm
leslee

Oh, cool. Check this out:

http://boingboing.net/2015/03/.....d-the.html

The shape of the body, evidently, was made to accommodate bowing. Me learned something.

So, why don't guitars have f-holes?

July 4, 2016
11:43 pm
lunazure

Very cool, I steal for my website.

So guitars should have that f shape too. Some do I think.

I'm out my depth here... .such things could take a lifetime to study and master.

Whoops I smell smoke, may have to evacuate, I live surrounded by forest.... trees.......... and you thought I lived in the piney woods?

July 5, 2016
10:32 pm
leslee

I imagined you lived someplace like this:

http://iliketowastemytime.com/.....f-clow.jpg

July 7, 2016
8:08 pm
lunazure

HA it won't be long if I don't get out and trim my jungle back!!!!!

July 10, 2016
3:17 pm
leslee

The world is beautiful and fragrant here. I love summer. It's when I think I'm living in the best possible place on earth. It doesn't rain when I'm on dog-walking duty, and that pattern has held for well over a year. We had some stormy weather with sunlight accents that was rather stunning. At night, the fireflies come out and the crickets chirp until they turn into birds and the sky lightens.
But then bleak November comes. Does the world ever get bored of the same routine?

I got back to my little pad for a tad last night. I love that place. I took the Evo for a walk along the railroad tracks. We walked the grounds of the lodge, walked along the river, saw some really old, rustic buildings and a Model T. I thought we were lost, but my guardian angel, who is smarter than me by far, said if I didn't cross the tracks again, I would either cross the highway that led to my car, or the side road on which my car was parked.

We are told to count our many blessings, and I fail miserably at that; but last night, I was so very grateful that for all the ticks I've had crawling on me, none have stayed long enough to bloat. I can't describe how I know they're there. But they're so teute, kicking their little legs. I can say that 'cuz this is a schizo thread, no?

My master, the Evo, beckons. She got a summer cut and is a riot. I hope it broke her somewhat. She looks like a little puppy instead of a glam, foxy dog. Maybe I'll get on subject next time.

July 11, 2016
12:58 pm
lunazure

I've considered moving so I have crickets and fireflies near me. Two of my four night loves.... the other two are froggie peepers and night blooming jasmine.

July 13, 2016
8:32 am
leslee

I'm happy here now, except the Evo is laid up for bed rest, so there goes my happy walking time. Boooooooo. In three months, I'll be late for the door. I often fantasize about some kind of job where I work in different regions throughout the year. I was listening to somebody talking about being stationed in Estonia over the weekend. She was so looking forward to it, as she couldn't stand Florida, where she was last stationed. I didn't participate in the conversation, I just threw her a flabbergast face when she said that.

July 18, 2016
2:54 pm
lunazure

As schizophonics means "shattered split sounds" I shall say right now I have aural input of Fox news (background noise and convention updates) and aquarium gurgles. I'm sorry Evo is not feeling well. Go for walks anyway....

July 24, 2016
6:09 pm
leslee

Convention, convention. Too bad we can't talk politics here. With one exception, which I am sure you will easily know, I'm jealous about the aquarium bubbles.

July 25, 2016
6:24 am
lunazure

Why me? Do I have "psychologist" stamped across my forehead? I could refer to the DSM-IV about how schizophrenics think the world revolves around them, and how they are convinced everyone is out to get them. How they fall in love with rock stars and follow them around, trying to protect them.

I would prefer to not talk politics yes. Our candidates switched into Spanish once, and MY candidate had a much more euphonious accent, I have to say. Yours sounded very school book. I think far too much to the negative was made of your candidate's convention speech, but then again most of the delegates had been drinking. The boo birds came forth alas.

I'm sorry to report one of my goldfish died. I tossed her body on the front lawn, and last I saw of her, a crow was having breakfast. Her limp tail fins were very lovely in the morning light.

July 25, 2016
12:43 pm
leslee

Counsel well-taken. Signing out until healed.

July 26, 2016
3:52 pm
lunazure

I was having revenge, sorry. You always mock my popcorn cosmology. Smile, you seem ok to me. Enjoying the other party right now doing their conniptions and conventions. Until I get tired of it and go watch Marvel Universe and keep on with the binding on my grand daughter's quilt. Man how did my summer get so full? I had riff raff show up to buy the truck and trailer last night... wonder if they will follow through on it?

March 26, 2017
7:13 pm
lunazure

Weird how little life has changed since this last post. Gonna sell the truck now....

March 27, 2017
1:49 pm
lunazure

I saw some awesome Rorschach prints today on a wall. We can look at some next time if you want leslee. I think they make great art myself.

March 28, 2017
9:40 pm
leslee

My favorite was when my friend Brian said, "Mom!"

April 8, 2017
8:12 pm
lunazure

Even the off the wall responses are of worth.... 🙂 I was actually taught how to use them in therapy, but like a magician's trick, I can't reveal my secrets. If I ever do therapy myself, I must ethically reveal that I have studied it academically.

April 9, 2017
9:31 pm
leslee

I love the cartoons in the New Yorker. They actually make me laugh, in a New York kind of way. I recall one that slayed me of a psycho psychologist - my sentiments exactly. Now, I know some really great psychologists, but when you consider that I've had probably twenty diagnoses with some shrinks saying I am defintely not or anything but what the last shrink labeled me - I think of what I would be like today if I were on meds for all twenty labels. While everybody I meet tells me I need to go into psychotherapy, I eventually gave up. When one makes $600 a week before taxes (and wants to go to Moodies concerts), what is psycho is spending $200 a week to talk to somebody who can't get your stories right, offers no insights, asks you what the voices you can't hear in your head are saying, and all that other stuff.

Just write kway-kway on my forehead and be done with it.

This topic is locked
Forum Timezone: UTC -4

Most Users Ever Online: 87

Currently Online:
5 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

nancyg: 5192

moodytoni2: 3981

leslee: 3631

lunazure: 3294

moodyballetdancer: 689

forevermoody: 291

maitrishah1: 253

Eastojamson: 245

milkwhitegown: 190

MagicalBlueTail: 166

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 2658

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 7

Forums: 20

Topics: 604

Newest Members:

nasv6262, orbeau, malansanni70, simonaragazza, MarkBerger, hefide9605, melvinburk, Billie34, Evanyost, Jenny110

Moderators: Andy Martel: 0, Michelle: 0

Administrators: admin: 0