Widget ImageSingle and married? Pro, con??? | Random Topics | Community

Welcome to the new Moody Blues Today forums. When using the below forums you will need to create a new username and password than what you had used on the old forums.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Single and married? Pro, con???
July 10, 2014
8:01 pm
lunazure
Forum Posts: 3294
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Thought it was time for a new thread. Some of the serious Moody ladies are single, some are married. Some of the Moodies are married, some are single. I thought I\'d start a thread for pros, cons, whining, praise for one's spouse, whatever goes with the topic. Eeek maybe even plural marriage. I'm a Heinlein nut, and leslee has those "ties".......

Very good video:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/366.....show-clips

1 and 1 is two, but by now that answer just ain't true.

July 10, 2014
9:57 pm
leslee
Forum Posts: 3631

WHAT? I'm fifty-one, never married, and you call me a polygamist?????????? To get all baby whiny, the LDS church quit polygamy when the US outlawed it. Read all about it here:

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/od/1?lang=eng

in the manifesto published by Wilford Woodruff, president of the church at the time. The manifesto is now considered scripture and included in the D&C with other latter-day revelations. Any Mormon practicing polygamy who refuses to abide by the law of the land and the counsel of church leaders is excommunicated regardless of what sensationalist TV documentaries and pulp wow magazines may say.

I hate denying false accusations, because nobody believes what I say. Remember? I'm too far gone for clinical material, so why do you continue to make a study of my behavior, I mean, I think that's what you're doing.

Anyway, to answer your implicit question, Justin is already taken.

July 11, 2014
1:18 am
lunazure

I totally understand that bit of LDS history, I really do. But I think it's a fascinating thing to base a religion on. Polygamy is perfectly accepted by the largest religion the world (Islam) and despite the poor devils going through their own civil war and shooting each other, they are a pretty civilized culture in many ways. My own Native American group was ok with polygamy, in fact Asi-Yahola (spelled Oseola in the literature) was one of my tribal group, and he had two wives. It's not outside the realm of the human equation, from a biological point of view.

Heinlein based several of his novels on the sanctity of the family, yet the adults were pairing off in all sorts of interesting ways. This is 2000 years in the future, and several light years away, mind you. I often think he just wrote that stuff to get a commercial audience anyway.

Did you watch the video? I really liked it.

July 11, 2014
9:42 am
leslee

I worship the true and living God. I was created by Him for grand purposes I do not fully grasp. We meet as a church to help each other keep the faith and the eternal perspective. Although Jesus, as the Son of God, implored us to give all the glory to His Father, I can't comprehend the love he had for us to suffer as he did so we could return to Our Father's presence. I've never seen God or Jesus in this life, but the Holy Ghost has worked wonders turning me around and guiding me right by bearing witness of the truth. Pragmatic decisions to get widows with ten children across the wilderness to avoid further religious persecution in no way usurped the First Commandment given to Moses. That said, I do not live up to my privileges, constantly being tempted by dorky little lures, laziness, and fear of responsibility.

Now, we get to the root of my psychosis. It is not unusual for somebody to read a paragraph in a conspiracy theory magazine and then attempt to save me because I am in a cult. There is the perception out there that, even though we are supposed to attend church for three hours a week, read the scriptures daily, pray daily, and stay worthy of the promptings of the Holy Ghost; I am blind to the fact that I really don't know what I worship. It goes like this: When Mormons read the Bible they replace "Jesus" with "Satan" and "love" with "hate" and a whole host of other opposites - except when paired. Then, we only apply one reversal. So, if we sing, "Jesus loves the children," we are really thinking, "Satan loves the children," or "Jesus hates the children." Yes, I am very retarded, and I haven't been able to grasp what is in my own heart after fifty years.

But, I have been in the secret chambers of the Mormon churches, and I shall risk all by telling you what I've found: folding tables, folding chairs, table cloths, silk flowers, basketballs, . . . The bottom line is, if you feel in your heart of hearts that I worship polygamy, it is for you to pursue that path. It's OK if you want to take me down, but please consider others who might be going along for the ride.

July 11, 2014
7:43 pm
lunazure

(cringe) I didn't say that!!!!

Sorry, I'll drop the subject. I just thought it was interesting to talk about. I'd personally love to have two husbands Wink. Heinlein's group marriages are quite jolly, and I don't think any of them go to church.... he's downright heathen. I take that back, one of the co-husbands in *The Moon is a Harsh Mistress* is pastor of the local church, and while the main character is not particular about his religious beliefs, he does show up for services because he loves his co-husband.

(I might bring up that Heinlein was drinking buddies with L. Ron Hubbard, who founded Dyanetics..... truth is stranger than fiction)

Mankind has historically (yea unto anthropologically) had MANY different forms of marriage.......... by all means, LDS is not a "cult" but they have only been around for 160 years or so (corrections welcome). I'm talking about biological roots for a bond between adults for the purposes of forming a family unit to protect their offspring.

I guess it would be a really bad idea to bring up the subject of gay and lesbian marriage then?

Native American humor about wives can be sorta wacked. If you've ever seen *Little Big Man* there's a whole scene about a friend trying to "one up" him, and the friend brags "I have a wife and four ponies!" Little Big Man replies "I have one pony and four wives!!!" The expression on the friend's face is priceless. I read somewhere else that most Indian men felt one wife was PLENTY and having two wives was indeed considered a mark of manhood, considering how picky Native American women notoriously are.

I think what I was after with this thread was, is it more wonderful to be happily single, happily married, miserably single, miserably married.... that sort of thing. Sorry about going sideways into stuff that is illegal in the USA. I apologize, leslee, yes I was out of line in the first post. My sister in law got mad at me once about the same thing too.

"But, my feet taste SOOO good, your Honor!"

March 19, 2017
10:45 pm
leslee

I found out earlier this week that I was married. Somebody looking for me on white pages dot com discovered from an ad for ancestry dot com that there was one marriage record for me. I wrote ancestry a nasty note saying I was interested in learning who my husband was, but I did not want to have to subscribe to their product to find out. They kindly replied, which was a surprise, but said I had to respond using facebook messenger, and I didn't want to have to sign up/register/whatever to do that. So, I'd ask y'all to send me my belated wedding presents, except the post office still can't find out how to deliver my mail.

Who am I, anyway?

Note: I was trying to be hip by not capitalizing proper nouns. I also discovered all the hip people the last couple of weeks end sentences with another sentence: Fail. And, if you listen to Faux News, the noun that must occur in every sentence last week was, "reveal."

March 20, 2017
9:13 pm
lunazure

leslee that's creepy. Again please correct me if I'm off base.... LDS can "seal" someone to them, can't they? And last I heard (could have changed of course) women don't always have anything to do with it. (???) And thus it might be entered into a genealogy data base that way.

Just a little creepy. I would write a polite note back this time, tell them you don't do Facebook, don't want to do FB because it's infested with worms (it is, a disgusting platform, I'm about to bail off it) and for legal purposes, you wish to know the name of this person who entered these facts, explain you have a stalker, and you are preparing to get a lawyer to investigate the whole thing. Guarantee you will get results, and it will be changed in a hurry.

You might even ask if it was { } insert name of Mr. Stalker.

I have a set of dishes for everyday, they have a glaze a bit like cream of wheat, if you need them you are welcome to them. Consider that your wedding gift! Wink

March 21, 2017
8:14 am
leslee

LDS is high on free agency, a point of doctrine Mr. Stalker is having problems grasping, to the point that a major tenet, I dare say, is to CHOOSE the right. People teach time and again that the marriage decision is a two-way street. One may feel they have a "revelation" to marry somebody, but it ain't so unless the other party gets the same revelation - and even then it could be mistaken lust or something they ate for dinner. I try so hard not to let him "live rent-free in my mind;" but every time he shows up, I have another meltdown and feel obligated to burst a few more capillaries in my brain. (Don't try this at home, kids.)

I spent a few days one time learning about my church from the Google rather than from materials published by the church, and of course sacred writ. I think I'm still trying to recover. There is a lot of weird stuff out there, and I'm used to the weird accusations. Families do get sealed for time and eternity, which goes beyond the "until death do you part" from a temporal marriage. As you suggest, Mr. Stalker could have pulled something like this. It creeped me out when the post office, which still can't deliver my mail, sent me a confirmation for "The [insert my last name] Family." I didn't know if that was SOP or if - You know the rest of the story.

As for the dishes, thanks but no. I still eat mostly from gas stations.

March 21, 2017
9:35 pm
lunazure

Geeze I hope nothing like this has happened. I get stuff for my "family" here all the time, and don't bother to worry or complain, there used to be more of us, but right now my family consists of me, one ol' bag and two cats, two goldfish. Generally genealogy data bases don't have stuff like that happen.

Yea agreed, I probably have a bunch of weird fake info about LDS in my head, and I'm more than sure the churches ALL have moved on from the Past (whence my ignorant beliefs). 'Taint my business anyway, but I've always liked the religion because they at least recognized the Mounds were a bustling civilization at one time.

It's entirely possibly I've been sealed to my brother's wife's family, which scares me a bit, since that means I'll be in Heaven with them. Not to be flip, but I did Thanksgiving with them once, and it was sorta slow. I hope it isn't true.

Something to be said for that eating style, I still have dishes to do from three days past. Gotta cook my own dinner etc.

March 22, 2017
11:55 am
leslee

The life of a caregiver can be very weird. I had to learn to roll with the punches. The alternative was dying of a stroke. Besides, whenever I think it's time to move on, which I frequently do, I look at the rat race with all its corporate lies and count my many blessings to have the job I do.

To rephrase what I said, according to LDS doctrine, a war in heaven was fought. Satan wanted to compel everybody to be good. Jesus, knowing love was the most powerful force in creation and surely the raison d'etre for all of us, wanted to leave us to our own devices. If we could find it in our way to love God and our neighbor, he would make up the difference; because mercy can't rob justice, no unclean thing can enter the Kingdom, and all that. So, wow. With a gift of love like that already paid, how can we say no?

Well, the man in red spandex took 1/3 of the host of heaven and, out of theatre or spite, tries to make us do stupid things. He puts weird ideas in our minds, through friends, impulse, or whatever, and keeps at it until he wears away at us. Life is a chance for us to gain character, by making right choices, which anybody who knows anything about me would swear I know nothing about. Anyhoo. he, who would compel us is laboring in evil. He who is patient, long-suffering, and all that is following the teachings of the New Testament. We can only control ourselves - to try more is to become the subject of a scary made-for-TV movie scored with slow, low-frequency orchestration with screeching accents.

People can do LDS temple ordinances for others provided said others are dead. Secondly, those for whom work is done make the final call. If you've passed on and you're happy in your situation, you are free to reject the work. If you have a borderline pathological liar claiming to own you - there's no telling what kind of work has been done for you, but you will have the final say. Genealogy is riddled with errors by enthusiasts who haven't learned to weigh and consider. I'm sure you've come across the people who were married when three years old or somehow linked merely because they had the same name.

When I was young, I was so uptight. Life was like the math tests I took, and everything had to be done 100%. Now, I can't get my mail, can't get my checks deposited, can't get fast food in less than 26 minutes, can't get employers to pay me, can't get my car registered - when something goes right, I am truly amazed.

March 22, 2017
8:39 pm
lunazure

Great writing, I enjoyed it. Yep like the song sez, the Devil ain't lazy, he works 24 hours a day. Wink

My parents got loose on some of the genealogy websites, and my poor ol' mom bless her, I miss her, but she could really get facts messed up. I've found boo boos she perpetrated out there....

We have a saying in Human Factors.... "errors propagate" so if it's building up on you.... there might be a reason. I walked into a class today that was apparently heinous yesterday with another sub. But I read the notes... and I think the sub was just having a bad day, and the kids were their normal ornery selves. Anyway I had a GREAT day because the regular teacher came in and lectured them all. Some of it depends on your own outlook. And yes it all comes back to YOU, yourself often.

March 24, 2017
10:17 pm
leslee

Shucks! Thanks. Maybe I should stick with theology. It is so much nicer than government.

March 24, 2017
11:20 pm
lunazure

You actually do have a pretty up beat attitude much of the time, leslee. I'm working at it too... even tho I feel like doggy scat right now. I have GOT to get over this cold. With all the snorting and symptoms I have... well maybe I'm still single due to my snoring and mouth breathing. Who knows.

There is such a thing as over thinking stuff in the process of making new bills up IMHO.

March 25, 2017
7:24 am
leslee

I usually cure colds with pH and/or temperature. But then, I'm weird in that I love extremely hot temperatures (90-110oF, not 365oF).

March 26, 2017
6:34 pm
lunazure

rolling to the top

March 26, 2017
7:30 pm
leslee

Bless you, my dear. I was going to, but I'm too depressed to revive conversations. I leave the hard work to you.

Thank you.

March 26, 2017
11:31 pm
lunazure

de nada

July 6, 2018
8:39 am
maitrishah1
Forum Posts: 253

cool this post gift code generator

This topic is locked
Forum Timezone: UTC -4

Most Users Ever Online: 87

Currently Online:
4 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

nancyg: 5192

moodytoni2: 3981

leslee: 3631

lunazure: 3294

moodyballetdancer: 689

forevermoody: 291

maitrishah1: 253

Eastojamson: 245

milkwhitegown: 190

MagicalBlueTail: 166

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 2658

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 7

Forums: 20

Topics: 604

Newest Members:

nasv6262, orbeau, malansanni70, simonaragazza, MarkBerger, hefide9605, melvinburk, Billie34, Evanyost, Jenny110

Moderators: Andy Martel: 0, Michelle: 0

Administrators: admin: 0