Widget ImageThe Internal Jukebox | Random Topics | Community

Welcome to the new Moody Blues Today forums. When using the below forums you will need to create a new username and password than what you had used on the old forums.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
The Internal Jukebox
April 7, 2017
8:43 am
Bluejay
Forum Posts: 41
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

This is a similar topic to another one, I grant you... But yet a little bit different. This is for songs we don't actively choose to listen to... but the ones that pop unbidden into our minds, really without so much as a "by your leave", playing a song we may have heard only yesterday, or not for years, or one we frankly have never given much thought to at all. A friend of mine and I have dubbed this "The Internal Jukebox" and they more often than not make you want to start humming or burst into song. So... What's been playing on your jukebox lately? Enquiring minds want to know! And as soon as the next one pops into mind, I will dutifully report it too. ?

April 7, 2017
11:09 am
lunazure
Forum Posts: 3294

I dunno usually something reminds me of a certain song or jingle... it's not always a pleasant one either, usually an annoying commercial from my childhood. Like when I eat fast food, I usually look at the wad of trash in the passenger foot well (my on-the-move trash can which is cleaned when I get home) and mumble a really stupid song "don't forget to feed the wastebasket"... from the old McDonald's day, when everything was animated like Lidsville. Even the trash can, had a big smiley face on it.

I'm not sure I want to remember or share that. Confused

April 7, 2017
11:47 am
Bluejay

Yes, I've had those commercials too. Goes to show how good the jingle writers really are. Apparently, Barry Manilow started out that way before his own other compositions became widely known. I once heard a medley of his jingles. They were very good and ones everybody would recognize.

April 7, 2017
12:51 pm
lunazure

Or for example.... my name translates as this of course.... but I have this bottle of former "Blue Moon" wine.... and this popped into my head. The original. God I love Billie Holiday.

April 7, 2017
3:14 pm
Bluejay

Really nice and smooth. I remember this version. I used to listen to a radio station that played anything from the 20's to present. Usually mellow, quiet stuff like this. Soft vocals and instrumentals. Alas, I moved out of the area, and that was all she wrote.

My own jukebox has been uncharacteristically quiet since creating this post. Maybe it didn't want anyone calling attention to it.
Sooner or later it will come up with something new though, I am sure.

April 7, 2017
7:16 pm
Bluejay

Still silence from the jukebox but last up, a night or so ago it was this one.

Cute little aside. Years ago when my oldest was around ten, she thought the lyrics were:

Give me the Beachboys and free my soul, I want to get lost in your rock and roll and drift away.

April 8, 2017
10:01 am
Bluejay

The Penultimate Jukebox song. Came to me in the summer of 2004 at a really hard time in my life. It always makes me smile and so I hand it on down to to you. Hoping will make you smile too. And you will find a deeper message here too. To take away with you. Communion through music. What a concept!

April 8, 2017
10:10 am
Bluejay

And since I'm on a roll... One more...

Indeed.

G'day, Mate!

April 8, 2017
2:51 pm
lunazure

Like that Carlisle song, I had never heard that one, good love song, and great mix. The others... classic. I went thru Winslow about 10 years ago in my Ranger, Strider.... there I was on a very windy day on a street corner, with my flat bed Ford, beautiful blue fluffy cloud day, and not a lost guitarist in sight. I looked. That song plays all across the Southwest, and is a great road song, I agree. Music is a great comfort in confusing time.

I think the jukebox is going to put on Guardians of the Galaxy today and I'm going to work on throwing out old files. (This isn't my home, it's just a big storage house I need to clean out, and I'm only camping here I think.)

Welcome to the island of Haleakaloa. I REALLY wanted to find the "jukebox" scene (or as the French padre calls it "Jeux box" which I think translates as "clown box") anyway the gag is, they keep banging into this slot machine that has never worked, a few coins trickle out, they kick it, play it, beat it... it makes jingling noises. Then the padre picks up a coin, walked over and drops it in like "see all it does is make weird music" and the thing pays off... spouting money over John Wayne and Lee Marvin, who both sit there looking stupidly at it.

Alas I cannot find that scene on Youtube, so enjoy the music. One of my favorite movies, and one of the greatest comedies ever put on screen IMHO. Put the movie on around sailors and they will watch it slack jawed, because we've all been there. Laugh

April 8, 2017
7:47 pm
Bluejay

Thank you, I will check it out later. Lots of activity here right now. My friends granddaughter is here early for Easter and we are watching Kung Fu Panda. Another good on the road band I have always liked is Jackson Browne. Running on Empty has always been a favorite. Guess I love Eagles Take It Easy so much because I have such a tendency to overthink things. Don't let the sound of your own wheels make you crazy is the line that is of greatest significance to me. That and its just one of the all time greatest rock and roll songs ever written IMHO.

April 9, 2017
9:36 pm
leslee
Forum Posts: 3631

I keep hearing "After Dark" in silent moments. I was surprised to look up a lot of those Barry Gibb lyrics. I had no idea how fragmented that poetry is. Is it supposed to be schizo?

We leave immediately.

April 10, 2017
12:23 pm
lunazure

A lot of poetry is schizo. Stop some day and try to analyze Neil Young. Whee!!!

I'm going to have to stay off here this week, I need to get back into the work schedule, I've had too good a time in the last week, posting long posts and such... back to reality and the Salt Mines.

Song on the juke box: "Heigh ho it's off to work we go..."

April 10, 2017
9:38 pm
Bluejay

Just watched Pearly Shells video. I think I remember this movie from way back when. Thank you for sharing. ?

And I hear you on getting back to the real world. Me too!

April 11, 2017
7:10 pm
lunazure

I would like to know more about the making of that movie, a John Wayne favorite *Donovan's Reef* for sure they filmed it in Hawaii, possibly on Maui .... allegedly the island is in the Marshalls somewhere as per the story. I lived in Hawaii as a 3 year old about the same time the movie was filmed, and it was a formative chapter in my own life. THAT is an authentic hula in spots. Edith Head did costumes.... I'm pretty sure Lee Marvin is drunk through most of it, and knowing John Wayne, he is too a good deal. And Dottie Lamour.... Ceasar Romero... just this side of paradise.

The other movie I really like and I may have to buy it, is the Marlon Brando version of *Mutiny on the Bounty*. I REALLY like movies with sailing ships, pirates, and such. All of them are good. I love the water, spent time as a sailor, but put me on a boat and I get seasick! So I watch the movies and dream.

April 11, 2017
9:42 pm
Bluejay

Goodness, how did you ever survive the Navy if you get seasick?

In honor of the ocean, the jukebox offers up this selection tonight:

April 11, 2017
10:13 pm
leslee

lunazure said

A lot of poetry is schizo. Stop some day and try to analyze Neil Young. Whee!!!

I used to be horrifically irked when singers would interchange "you" and "her," presumably about the same person in the same song, but then who knows.

There's too much noise here for me to hear what's inside my head right now.

April 13, 2017
8:19 pm
lunazure

A little boat like they are on... I'd be feeding fish. But it looks so beautiful. I did my sea duty on the USS Diego Garcia, which is a very solid island.

Everyone knows that "she" is the subjective and "her" is the objective. If they don't, why did they get out of 8th grade? Go figure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_942ejKfOjA

It just popped up when I was looking for "Ship of Fools"... ok off to do dishes and cook

April 15, 2017
8:55 pm
leslee

I've been thinking about the problems I have with my internal jukebox. For example, one reason I am such a bad singer is I autotuned for the longest time. I actually couldn't hear things like the devil's chord (which may mean I heard an augmented chord during the eclipse referenced earlier). It wasn't until the YouTube came along that I realized how prevalent dissonance was in rock and roll melodies. Before that, I would try to turn things into major chords simple minor keys. I probably "correct" metering, too; but that is only because my brain's sampling rate (if it computes in discrete engrams as opposed continuously processing) is so slow, I can't really hear the difference between 32nd and 16th notes. I recall being so very blown away looking at a score written by a friend that actually had 32nd notes.

April 16, 2017
2:11 pm
lunazure

What's on the jukebox: the original guitar song with the gorgeous vocal harmonies. Found a musak version of it. I don't feel like posting the version with the lyrics, because I just listened to it and got weepy. The movie pretty much follows the book during this sequence.... the Painless Pole (dentist for the 4077) decides to cash out early and that is what the song is about. Anyway the M*A*S*H series is running in a marathon and I have that flipped on while I figure out what to wear for Easter... going out with the family and my grand babies.

Very good book BTW if you've never read it... it even has a crucifixion in it. As I recall they tied Trapper John to a cross, and flew him in by helo for some bizarre reason. Book is one of the funniest things I've ever read, as is the sequel set in Maine. Obviously a doctor who got very frustrated with his work and wrote the novel to relieve stress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=desr8oElFmw

April 16, 2017
7:42 pm
leslee

I am such a slow and horrible reader. If I get the time to read something, I should be reading math books. No one gets hurt, and no one dies.

This topic is locked
Forum Timezone: UTC -4

Most Users Ever Online: 87

Currently Online:
9 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

nancyg: 5192

moodytoni2: 3981

leslee: 3631

lunazure: 3294

moodyballetdancer: 689

forevermoody: 291

maitrishah1: 253

Eastojamson: 245

milkwhitegown: 190

MagicalBlueTail: 166

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 2655

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 7

Forums: 20

Topics: 604

Newest Members:

simonaragazza, MarkBerger, hefide9605, melvinburk, Billie34, Evanyost, Jenny110, bomojiy124, Doby1996, Josiaheyes

Moderators: Andy Martel: 0, Michelle: 0

Administrators: admin: 0