Widget ImageThis Musical Journey | Random Topics | Community

Welcome to the new Moody Blues Today forums. When using the below forums you will need to create a new username and password than what you had used on the old forums.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
This Musical Journey
April 7, 2017
8:17 am
Bluejay
Forum Posts: 41
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I've heard this experience with the Moody Blues often referred to as a "musical journey". So, whether you have been to one concert or a hundred, or none... Whether you sit in the back balcony or front three rows, whether you own the entire catalog, or simply surf the net and You Tube it, whether you were here from the beginning or just joining us all recently... What has this musical journey meant to you?

April 7, 2017
8:31 am
Bluejay

For me, the first Moodies songs I fell in love with were Tuesday Afternoon and Nights In White Satin, from Days Of Future Passed, so perhaps it IS fitting to become a more active voice in this community at this time. At that moment in time "I Heard It", the sound I had to follow, and have been following ever since. For me, the Moodies have always been the hub of the wheel of my musical philosophy and theology, around which a lot of other artists revolve. Coming of age in the early seventies, they've been there though it all... both the sunshine and the storms of life. I simply can't imagine what my life would have been like without their music. "I'm so glad that I walked this road with you".

April 7, 2017
11:20 am
lunazure
Forum Posts: 3294

Up to about 1988 the Moodies were "just another band" I've enjoyed over the years... my first album in 1968 DOFP but I have such a wide range of musical love... I'm not much of a fan girl either. I can't imagine my life without any of those groups. I think it was the video for "Wildest Dreams" I was just out of the US Navy, a divorced single mom (my husband was whacking me, I fired him) and really looking for an anchor in a confusing, wild sea of experiences... something reached out of that video and really anchored me to reality.

Now, no I can't imagine life without my love of the Moody Blues. It's that simple. It's been an interesting ride. Some people need that anchor, it might be another band of course, or movie stars or an author (I'm also on a Robert Heinlein group and a Marx Brothers group on Facebook, some of those people are very fanatical about the subject, I just lurk) some people latch onto an anchor of religion and spiritual belief. Might be Christian, might be pagan or Tao or Buddhism....

but

I think we all need something like this in our lives, keeping us focused and/or anchored ........ or we live quiet lives of despair.

April 7, 2017
12:11 pm
Bluejay

Agreed, we all need something positive and uplifting to keep us going. Music is a big one for me. There are a lot of other musical artists I love too. I love just putting on Pandora to a favorite "station" and seeing what comes up next.

In the early seventies, when I started listening, the core 7 was really all there was. I pretty much wore them out. Through the years, discovering different albums at different times, the music seemed to flow and change as I grew and changed. Different insights presented themselves when they did, at the right times for the right reasons. I find that's true for me of all music.

If I haven't listened to an album in a long time I find myself wondering why not, and hearing it again I find myself remarking at how incredible it all really is. I love the music videos too, especially the fan created ones. Loving works of art, every one. Each one tells a story of deep meaning for the one who created it, and that's a wonderful thing to share.

April 7, 2017
12:31 pm
Bluejay

I remember when I first heard YWD and The Voice and IKYOTS on the airwaves for the first time too. Didn't see the videos til quite a bit later. But wherever I was, I stood tranfixed, just letting the music wash over me like a warm wave. Looking back I see it as quite a remarkable thing.

Of course, other music did that to me also. To this day, certain songs evoke powerful emotional memories of a time long past, but much cherished for what it was at the time. And now maybe with the passage of time these memories have maybe grown even more special, the older woman looking back at the younger one with a smile and a shake of the head.

What would our older selves tell our younger selves if we but could, I wonder. Slow down, cherish the moment, don't take things so seriously... take some things more seriously. But, would we even listen?

April 7, 2017
8:44 pm
lunazure

Music is still a mystery to me and to many other neurologists and psychiatrists.... Music DOESN'T affect some people, at all.

Yet others of us, our lives revolve around music. Because it hits very deep places in our skulls. It's magic. It opens mystical doors.

Research shows a trend toward like 50% of the human population being affected deeply by music, and the other half have no clue.

I guess we all need a little mystery in our lives to make them interesting. Just traveling down this path, wondering what is around the next bend.

April 8, 2017
9:25 am
Bluejay

Interesting you said that. I was just going to say something about that myself.

To every one of us, this voyage of discovery is a little different. For some, it really is about hanging out with rock stars, being in the know, being in the inner circle, so to speak. And that's fine on one level because it brings people back, time after time to be part of something greater than themselves.

And, to be honest, I might have traveled further down that path myself, were it not for the fact that the message in the music has always been my first love. So I can see where some people may be at, at the moment. Some of us, myself included, ARE stalkers. We are stalking something we cannot even put words to. Perhaps "something we've not known for years but we knew that it would last". Not as well known Johnsong. Kudos if you remember which album its on immediately....

Others of us are really yearning to grasp the message in this music. I guess I've been on both sides now.
Whoops, wrong artist. But maybe not. Maybe so many really talented gifted artists are really Gods angels in disguise, singing their hearts out to try and help us all find our way back home. ? And not even knowing that this is what they have been doing all along. So many have said that they don't know where the inspiration comes from really... Maybe they really don't . Maybe its something really Cosmic. More Cosmic than we realize.

So, we are all stalkers. Undeniably. So let's just wear that freak flag proudly And be done with it.

We are all stalking SOMETHING that we can't even describe. Can't even put into words. But it brings us back time and time again. And we know that someday real soon its going to end. And so we want to be there, all of us together, when it does.

I have news for anyone yearning to be in the inner circle. You already are. Whether you are sitting close enough to see the sweat on the performers brows, or whether you're in the back rows of the balcony, just reveling in the good fortune of being there... And that strange, sweet smelling smoke we all know and love.... ?

We are all bound by a single spirit which is the friendship and fellowship that this experience of shared love of the music AND the band have brought us through the years, each of us in a different way. So let's just glory in that, for the moment. Each in our own ways.

Through the years, I have seen that this music is a message of peace and love for all mankind. If you really grasp the message in the music, especially the Core 7, you really can be Saved By The Music, as it were. "And he thought of those he frightened, for he was not an evil man. and he thought if those he hurt, for he was not a cruel man." Maybe that's the pearl of great price we have all been looking for. And maybe that's why these guys are still touring. Do they really need the money? Nah. Don't think so. Maybe they look as much forward to seeing us as we do to seeing them. And maybe THATS what its all about, after all.

April 8, 2017
10:30 am
Bluejay

Anybody else have anything to add to this topic? I Know You're Out There Somewhere...

April 8, 2017
2:28 pm
lunazure

That's really well put I like it.

Without mentioning names, I've been with the "hard core" fan following since 1991, and I've seen MANY people act like or claim to be "inner circle"...... some talk to me some don't, most have little else to recommend them. I can think of two of the performers on stage who have some real loo loo "friends" who have "sucked up" to them.... and it means absolutely nothing from my perspective.... I'm here for one person, and overall, for the beautiful music they ALL have produced over the years. Yes, it's "music from beyond" indeed.

Yeah. There is no inner circle, not really. "With an inner circle like that, who needs enemies??" LaughLaughSome people get lucky and get some info, some are kind enough to share, some are not.

A fair percentage are photo droolers, and I can't relate, so I have no comments about them. Shallow people only see the surface anyway.

Saddest are those who spread rumors (other fans and/or road show), either intentionally for mischief, and in rare cases, in an attempt to "cover" for some alleged transgression by a band member. IE scotching a rumor. Rumors are always warped in some way I've found. Everyone is a human... we all need to remember, it's about the music, not about the gossip and/or perceived social power.

April 8, 2017
5:34 pm
Bluejay

Exactly right in saying its all about the music. We come, each of us for our own reasons, and take from each encounter what we do. But this is a time to put aside our differences, cherish the magic and the music and everything its been to us all, personally and collectively. While we still can. Maybe, enough said. I hope it will be a wonderful tour, with many, many good memories made and friendships forged and renewed.

April 8, 2017
11:44 pm
Bluejay

And you know, maybe stalker isn't the right word after all. Maybe seeker is. Maybe we're all just searching and seeking for something, each in our own way. Looking for our answers in this music and this incredible sense of camaraderie we've found. The key is not to take ourselves too seriously. But to keep on trying to love and forgive both ourselves and others anyway, regardless of what we've said and done in the past. And to learn from our own mistakes.

The key to happiness is truth ?
The key to truth is love ?
These are...
... The Keys Of The Kingdom. ?

April 9, 2017
9:26 pm
leslee
Forum Posts: 3631

It's been so long, I've forgotten. It started for me with "The Voice," as I'm sure I've posted in prior iterations of this board. My parents despised rock and roll, but they played it in the cafeteria at college. It was too quiet to hear the words or anything, but one song always gave me a chill up my spine. It gave me that superlative feeling I'd felt in rare occasions previously, while searching for religious truth or seeing somebody committing a random act of kindness. It was so good, I figured it had to come from God. Well, I was a teenager and I had to be cool, so I thought I would find more success imitating the other teens instead of going on a religious journey, and all those visions and feelings of inspiration went away. Then, at college, things started coalescing to bring that feeling back in my life, and it motivated me to figure out which church I should join and all that. I remember while I was praying for guidance and direction, I saw what I swear was the cover of LDV in my mind; which I recognized when I saw it crawling through one of my friends' record collections several moons later.

So, my journey has been somewhat metaphysical. I did not think much of that song again until CKLW, across the pond in Canada, began playing "Blue World." It was THAT SOUND! That motivated me to figure out who these guys were that could trigger such feelings of inspiration merely with the sound of their music. It was problematic in the days before Internet. One had to dial the rheostat up and down to try to find the song. There was a bit of a problem, though. The beginning of "The Voice" sounded like a commercial, and so it took me forever to catch the beginning of that song. I eventually caught the name of the group, "The Moody Blues." I thought that was a dumb name for such a great act, but some shades of blue are totally captivating.

So, there was a lot of dialing up and down the rheostat. At some point, I became aware of the older Moodies songs. I may have liked them out of habit more than anything else, as I did not like them that much - "I'm Just a Singer," "Question," "Isn't Life Strange" - didn't cut it. My friends even made fun of them kind of - the riff in "IJAS" and the weird echo in "ILS." My friend Lxxxxxxx went on her mission and let me have her LDV album cos she wouldn't be able to listen whilst away. My friend Kxxx then had two LDV's and let me have one. So, my very first two albums ever were LDV's. Then, my friend C**** and I went to Cobo Hall, not having hung out since high school. We decided we would buy each other an album as a present. I got her an Oingo Boingo, and she got me TOSoL.

Then, there was that infamous Rock Line interview. It was a turning point. I was home from college for vacation or a weekend. I was feeling like an outcast again, a weirdo and outsider. My world in my brain that wanted to be good and please God and all that had isolated me from any kind of friendship. It was just me and my geeky friends from church. All the cool kids were bad. The thought occurred to me that being good was just a stage, and I was seriously contemplating I don't know what, maybe smoking or something. I heard that Justin and John of the Moodies were going to be on Rock Line, so I had to tune in. I needed to see them be disgusting like everybody else I'd heard on that show (except Phil Collins who called Rodney Dangerfield because nobody was calling in). I would hear them gross me out like everything else in the rock and roll industry, they would fall off their pedestal, and I would be justified in - maybe smoking or something.

Instead, J&J were polite and respectful and nice. Then, Justin started talking about stuff that I used to see/experience in my mind's eye when I was searching so hard for cosmic truth (God). Now, a word can define a thousand pictures, so the probability that he was describing the ephemeral place I used to go in the back of my mind, subconsciously, where everything was copacetic; is pretty thing. But his words worked. I decided then and there that if two of us could be weird like that, it was OK.

I spoke to a trusted lady my mom's age at church. I told her my problem. This rock star had saved me from making a stupid decision. I had the urge to thank him, but I was much too good to send fan mail, let alone to a rock star. But I wondered, in my naivete, if maybe he was having a hard time and would like to know there was another weirdo out here. It sounds so stupid now, but it was all so real then. The lady talked to her sons, one of whom said of the group, "They're mild," so she encouraged me to try to find a way to contact the band. I sent a letter to one address and then to another, but who knows where they went. Oh, how I wished they could be answered.

The little voice inside my head said to be calm. The answer would come to me. My brother was in radio, and I never knew he knew so much about my fascination with the group. But then, I started coming home from work (I was still living at my parents'.) and finding trade magazines on my bed opened to articles on the Moodies. One in particular was that interview where Justin said fans think they're cosmic gurus or something. Ouch. OK.

Before that, I recall there was a photo of Justin in the Detroit News. I had previously tried to see what the band looked like by crawling through rock and roll books in the bookstore. I thought I had found a photo, and the guys were all fat and wearing dirty denim kind of stuff. It was the wrong band, but that didn't make me like the music any less. Then, I saw that picture in the Detroit News and it was like love at first sight. I had never seen a more beautiful person. I kept going back to it. Finally, Mum, noticing something obsessive, said something like, "You can have that picture if you like." So, I cut out the article, and it remains in my old journal to this day, along with the articles from my brother.

My brother also bought me, through birthday and Christmas presents, probably the complete works of the Moodies. I used to want to put the albums up around the top of the wall, as the art was quite contemplatable and blue - much like Justin did at "Camelot," though I hadn't yet seen any photos of the baronial hall with the minstrels' gallery ... I ended up donating my collection to a radio station after I moved down here. WZLS played real vinyl and CD's. We took real requests. It was one of the last stations to do so, I believe, but the FCC kept changing its rules to let closet-operation investors boasting the ability to program three days in advance. A photo of me with Justin from the band's Christmas party scored me an interview with the Wall Street Journal when they covered the fight to keep radio real, but I digress.

It was awhile before I finally overcame my fears of getting a contact high and wore my mother down enough to consent to letting me go - that I saw my first concert. I sat on the grass with my friend Lxxxx at Pine Knob. I recall hitting Pontiac on the frontier of the concrete jungle. It was like a mighty transformation. Parsons' Project sang "Games People Play," and I have loved that song ever since. We then went on up to Clarkston, which became my adopted home town. I'm guessing it was something emotional that hit me that night. The next year, Lxxxx and I got good seats up frontish at Pine Knob. We saw them at the Masonic Temple, too; which was very haunting in a dreamy way.

Before I left Michigan, while living in Clarkston, I recall hearing Justin singing "IKYOTS." It was a make it or break it song on one of the big rock stations. Needless to say, I knew who it was from that feeling and couldn't wait to get through the construction on I-75 to cast my vote. The DJ was also a very big Justin fan. But after I moved here, I was in the car, driving home when "SIWL" came on the radio. This time, I pulled off on a dirt patch to hear the song through. I knew who it was and wanted to bask in that great feeling.

Well, I eventually moved down here and I've certainly put everybody to sleep. There are so many stories of friends helping me in serendipitous ways to help me get good tickets. Getting to shows is always an impossible combination of getting time off work, getting money together, getting a good ticket, and then getting to the other side of some last minute disaster. Many stories could be told about following promptings, making wrong turns, etc., etc.

Thanks for asking.

April 10, 2017
6:45 pm
Bluejay

And thank you for sharing. It was a wonderful story! ?

April 10, 2017
8:13 pm
leslee

Thank you for joining and adding new life to the conversation. I'll try not to scare you away, but that's what I always say.

🙂 🙂 🙂

April 11, 2017
7:59 am
Bluejay

Thank you too, Leslee. I am not a poster by nature, no social media... Rather I just read most of the time. But I might chime in from time to time. I had rather hoped more people would contribute their memories too. We are at quite a milestone and a momentous occasion here. A place we will never be again, all of us together.

Your conversations back and forth are always enjoyable to read, thought provoking and refreshingly honest. Its rather like sitting down at a table with two friends, sharing a cup of coffee and just listening in. Hope you don't mind.

So if I am quiet for the major part, please don't that you have scared me away. That's just my nature on here.

Have a really wonderful day.

April 11, 2017
1:00 pm
leslee
April 11, 2017
7:25 pm
lunazure

It IS nice chatting with you guys. I disappear into books too, often.... in fact my son wrote some books he will be hurt if I don't get to them soon. I need to sit down and focus on them. But yeah sometimes life is just too tiring to be on here. Don't be offended if I don't reply.... I'll come back probably.

And I need to finish "The Book" ConfusedConfused and get it on line

I hope I don't scare EITHER of you away.... yes it IS quite an event this year. My.... 50 years as the Moodies.... and longer than that on stage for all of them.

April 11, 2017
9:51 pm
Bluejay

In all truth, I have enjoyed my brief time here with you both too.

Yes, 50 years is quite an accomplishment. A cause for celebration. A cause for reflection. For sure.

August 18, 2017
6:30 am
warrenzephaniah
Forum Posts: 3

To each one of us, this voyage of disclosure is somewhat unique. For a few, it truly is tied in with hanging out with demigods, being aware of everything, being in the internal hover, in a manner of speaking. What's more, that is fine on one level since it brings individuals back, over and over to be a piece of an option that is more noteworthy than themselves. Visit ReadyDissertationhelp.co.uk

August 19, 2017
11:44 pm
magicalbluetail
Forum Posts: 63

Bluejay said

Thank you too, Leslee. I am not a poster by nature, no social media... Rather I just read most of the time. But I might chime in from time to time. I had rather hoped more people would contribute their memories too. We are at quite a milestone and a momentous occasion here. A place we will never be again, all of us together.

Your conversations back and forth are always enjoyable to read, thought provoking and refreshingly honest. Its rather like sitting down at a table with two friends, sharing a cup of coffee and just listening in. Hope you don't mind.

So if I am quiet for the major part, please don't that you have scared me away. That's just my nature on here.

Have a really wonderful day.

They are indeed stimulating and tbought provoking to read. I myself don't have the time nor energy to devote as before to the forums. Personally I believe the forums have been abandoned largely because of intro to new format and ease of use of such social media as Facebook et al. Many were about 10 or so years ago latching onto the new groove in communicating with the latest means of blogging (I remember many moody loving folks enthusiastically embracing the then current offering of a way to get together online, and to me is a logical reason as to why participation naturally dropped so much here.

This format of discussing is not real time compared to the latest, and since all things have their time in the sun, the time for this, too, is almost up.

Those who drive the way technology goes is primarily the movers and shakers of it.

But I know your original intent here is to interplay individuals testimony to musical memoir.

I may be back in a little while to share before another 50 years have lapsed
😉

This topic is locked
Forum Timezone: UTC -4

Most Users Ever Online: 87

Currently Online:
2 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

nancyg: 5192

moodytoni2: 3981

leslee: 3631

lunazure: 3294

moodyballetdancer: 689

forevermoody: 291

maitrishah1: 253

Eastojamson: 245

milkwhitegown: 190

MagicalBlueTail: 166

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 2658

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 7

Forums: 20

Topics: 604

Newest Members:

nasv6262, orbeau, malansanni70, simonaragazza, MarkBerger, hefide9605, melvinburk, Billie34, Evanyost, Jenny110

Moderators: Andy Martel: 0, Michelle: 0

Administrators: admin: 0