Widget ImageAny good books or movies lately? | Random Topics | Community

Welcome to the new Moody Blues Today forums. When using the below forums you will need to create a new username and password than what you had used on the old forums.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Any good books or movies lately?
December 20, 2014
10:18 pm
lunazure
Forum Posts: 3294
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Thought I'd start a new topic in case someone is stuck for a gift idea. I always cherish a good book at Christmas. Or good DVD.

Jersey Boys: Justin turned us all onto this a few months ago (like a few years ago) when it was running on Broadway. The movie is GREAT especially if you're old enough to remember the pop music of the 50s and early 60s. Very enjoyable movie, Clint Eastwood somehow managed to leave his stamp on it, I can't explain it, but some of the actors sorta had an "Eastwood" attitude, which I enjoyed. I think Clint was in the background once.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hobbit III: I don't know how Jackson managed to squeeze three movies out of The Hobbit, but he did, and I enjoyed it last night. It probably had more hack and slash than some would enjoy, but it was a lot of fun on the big screen, I loved the CG and the costume designs. I thought the acting was done very very well out of a couple of actors.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oz books, done as graphic novels by Marvel. I just got my second one in the mail. These are a DELIGHT. I picked one up in a classroom the other day, this generation is so embedded in this "flash bang" visual world, that they are re-marketing the original books as cartoons. Very enjoyable and not too hard on fhe brain circuits after a hard day of work!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://www.foxnews.com/enterta.....p=features

Fleetwood Mack has a biography out just in time for the last minute Christmas shoppers.

January 6, 2015
9:15 pm
MagicalBlueTailFly
Forum Posts: 5

yes I enjoyed hobbit III very much--puts them all together now...what a trip there and back again Middle Earth has been--whew...life will never be the same everafter
I found this a while ago--still very very very pretty...explains a lot behind the scoring
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odwkgBDO8Qo

MBT ;)

January 7, 2015
11:18 am
lunazure

Hey MBT hi! That's what I love about you, you hear the music themes behind the movie. Other than the Kili/T'ariel romance is a total fabrication (Tollers would have liked it I think) yeah I caught the dual music themes just barely.... thank you, good clip.

January 10, 2015
12:45 am
MagicalBlueTailFly
Forum Posts: 5

lunazure said

Hey MBT hi! That's what I love about you, you hear the music themes behind the movie. Other than the Kili/T'ariel romance is a total fabrication (Tollers would have liked it I think) yeah I caught the dual music themes just barely.... thank you, good clip.

I hear a lot better than I see - that might explain it Smile
I think too he might've gotten a chuckle out of it (Wish Tolkien could be here to bitch-slap his son (as needed) and chum around with his great grandson ... I'd get a chuckle out of that ;) )
Sorry haven't been posting much-energy and time doesn't marry up well these days ... facebook days are over too, I think--since I've begun pursuing other things too, right now...though it was fun indeed interacting with "elves" and "dwarves" (RPing stuff) but will check in once in a moodybluemoonSmile

"Hae ephadron
theri thaur
am na dhû
ias fîr i ambar
A trehil i 'alad 'lân uir tri 'wilith"

"I go walking
Beyond the forest
Where the world falls away
And the white light
Of forever fills the air"

still looks "active" - David Salo website, "Elfling"
http://elfling.midgardsmal.com/

January 12, 2015
9:46 pm
lunazure

Likewise I feel very sorrowful I can't keep up with the Tolkien nerd stuff anymore. We were so into it in High School. Middle Earth was certainly a better place to have one's mind than what we were surrounded by.

I've heard Tolkien's son is a bit of a perv.... rumor only, I don't know the details and would rather NOT. Too much I have to face in reality. Some day I'll dive more into his personal life as well as CS Lewis, I've just nibbled around the edges for both. Sometimes we find things out that destroys our enjoyment....

Last time I tried "dwarves" with a spell checker (this on in fact) it didn't like that. Dumb machines.

The listening part sneaks up on me unless I focus on it (again if I look too hard then I don't enjoy it as much). Usually I'm focused on body language rather than simple visuals.

Take care, don't work too hard.

January 20, 2015
10:12 pm
lunazure

MBT I know you're out there somewhere!

You're gonna LOVE this!

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/.....t-fan-edit

March 26, 2017
6:58 pm
lunazure

my son is writing books and making money at it! I've only read one so far, but enjoyed it.

Look him up on Amazon.com under Stephan Morse. Sorta slinky vampire chicks and elves... but with an edge. The young people apparently love it.

I didn't know he had it in him! LaughLaugh

very proud actually.

March 26, 2017
7:06 pm
leslee
Forum Posts: 3631

I was just thinking about starting a thread on books, since you mention so many.

Funny combo in your son's books, but maybe it will teach us elves tolerance for y'all vampire chicks.

I just started a bio on Thomas Jefferson the boss had hanging around the house. He is probably my favorite founder. I considered him a Renaissance man and a great liberator. Now, history maligns him as a slave basher. The boss was watching a documentary on Hamilton, the musical. The dancing and music was really great, but they got my goat when they said they made Jefferson's theme jazz instead of rap to show how slow and behind-the-curve he was. What? You malign somebody whose attempts to free slaves were voted down, and celebrate a dude who pushed for the Fed?

And thus we go back to "History is bunk." It is for me to judge if actions are good or bad and incorporate them into my life, not to use gossip to impugn stuff.

March 27, 2017
12:05 am
lunazure

I recommend John Adams if he has that book laying around too. Incredibly good research and good reading. If it hadn't been for Jefferson and Adams, the whole thing would have collapsed... they were real driving forces behind the whole independence movement. I also enjoyed "Sally Hemmings: an American scandal" but I'm not sure if the story line was mostly fact or fiction. The sets sure were authentic. Good acting too.

Jefferson is one of my heroes, and yes he was flawed. I went to Monticello on one trip back there, it was wonderful for history and such. I recommend that too, it's not far from you.

Jefferson indeed had slaves, and was one of the "southern elite" but he was a flaky owner, and I don't think he was standing over his people with a whip or anything. He was born to the institutionalized reality of an economy based on the enforced labor of others. This started in the Colonies as using prisoners from petty crimes (bond servants, bought and sold) in England, as well as POWs from a failed coup in Scotland.... thus so many Scots in the South. This gave way to African slavery, which was perpetrated by African tribal leaders, who sold those they conquered to slavers... who did have whips and chains. Slavery, a horrible horrible thing all around... it was an abusive era.

Jefferson's plantation had about 50 slaves to one white person, so he kept them there by something other than force, that's for sure. A family of six slaves (mom and five children) were bought from his neighbor, Hemmings, who was also the father of Jefferson's wife. The five children were all his wife's half brothers and sisters. The Hemmings family ran Monticello while Jefferson buried himself in books, in politics, and in writing. When Jefferson's wife died, he was thrown into deep shock.... thus was missing from the writing of the Articles of Confederation. Then he went to France as one of the ambassadors (Dr. Franklin and John Adams were the other two)... Sally Hemmings at 14 (youngest of the Hemmings) came to France as the maid of Jefferson's daughter I think. Sally was very beautiful and probably looked a good deal like Jefferson's wife. One thing led to another, and Sally was "said to be" Jefferson's common law wife until he died. The Hemmings were not stupid. She had a good position and made the most of it. DNA has shown that Sally's five children were either Jefferson's children, or his brother's.

Jefferson is documented to have beaten a young slave for losing valuable material for nails he was making at his plantation... the place was a working farm, and metal was hard to come by. I don't think it was a regular thing tho, records seem to show a benign "lordship" as was the case of many southern plantation situations. It sounded more like the spankings I used to get as a kid. Then again some people don't believe in spanking either.

I do believe it is documented that Jefferson tried to put in an anti slavery clause to the Declaration of Independence, but I'd have to research that. He didn't think it was a good idea especially, it was just how his farm was run. It was a big place, everyone had jobs, and they all ate and had homes....

I think it's easy for people with hate in their hearts to find nothing but fault in others who have achieved greatness, as Jefferson certainly did as a Founding Father.

Hamilton is not treated very well in the Adams book and movie. I don't know enough about him to say one way or the other. He was a banker, and a bit slippery from what I can tell.

I despise musicals made from such material. (saw 1776 on stage long ago, and it was pretty barfy) It's like a comic book with Jesus as the hero, in a cape. It's twittery frippery, and the origin of my country is not a twittery tap dancing event. It was deadly serious.... they were committing treason and came close to failing and getting hanged. In fact one of my family members (a redcoat) DID get shot under a flag of truce during it. Find some other theme and write music/dance for THAT but come on.... civics is a duty and responsibility, not a la la dance number.

March 27, 2017
8:28 am
lunazure

HAH! My fourth in the Outlander series just got here. It will involve the Revolution... .I'll let cha know how it goes

December 9, 2017
8:53 pm
leslee

I read a tiny book, '3 Libertarian Essays' by Daniel B. Klein. I don't quite agree with his premise of multiple selves as opposed. Rather, I think we make multiple choices. However, I liked how he articulated the concept that we surrender our dignity as law enforcement tries to preserve the peace in an uncivil society.

So many people in this town are getting sucked into the system. We have people wasting away in prison who haven't been convicted of anything because they can't post bail. We hear of people arrested for driving while black, and once they get a record they can't get a job, so they have to turn to a life of crime or go on welfare. Then, there are accusations about too many children being seized by DSS. Then, government keeps trying to solve the housing crisis by enlarging the hollow middle with their fatal conceit as they try to force affordable housing on prime real estate - with a local art component. Then, city councilors get mad at greedy developers because they won't build at a loss.

December 11, 2017
12:19 am
lunazure

Humans are sorta scary creatures aren't they?

I just finished watching the John Adams mini series again... all the way through. Read the book some time ago. Really makes me think, about how all of our presidents ... well many of them tried to do it right, but many didn't get the picture that there were crooks and power mad nuts amongst them. Hamilton was portrayed as a guy who would use the military to back up a despot, a real hawk. Then I got curious after watching the Andrew Jackson special on Fox tonight.... Jackson is a dirty word to all Creeks (my tribe) so much dirt was done over Removal. Jackson's troops also kidnapped anyone who was Black and living with the Creeks during the War of 1812, and sold them at a profit. Yet the special made Jackson out to be hero. Sorry, not in my book.... no matter what "good" things he did. (He did love his wife very much, which speaks well of him....) Then I read my book of American presidents.... so many of them were really major dufus material. Or obvious crony capitalists.

It's all about profit, leslee. Follow the money and it all makes sense.

IMHO not enough children are seized by CPS.... you haven't lived until you have a room full of loud 1st graders, and two of them climb on chairs and do back flips the moment you turn your back. What are the parents doing for crying out loud???? Smoking dope and blowing it at the little tykes?

December 12, 2017
1:10 pm
leslee

Thirty years ago, when I substituted in a rather nice school district, one of my first days tow kids were tasting chemicals in the back of chemistry lab. They were the same two who would put their lighters in their mouths and then blow out the flame. At the end of that school year, one of them was sitting in the hall, and he asked if I would be back the following year. I asked why, and he said something like he liked me because I was the only one who understood him. It was one of life's most precious moments for me. Maybe I need to go into CPS.

December 12, 2017
1:16 pm
leslee

I ruined the web site, and I keep getting the screen to post what I already did. Boo.

On the other subject, I believe all wars are economic, that there are people among us so greedy they don't stop at killing to get stuff. I also believe not everybody is that way. The fool I be, money and me are always soon parted. Like many independent contrators, I can't even get paid much of the time. I am certain many flower children out here love love and beauty enough not to stress over money. We're happy to have what we need. My ADD point is/was, I would follow the money trying to psychoanalyze megalomaniacs, but as I said earlier today, I don't like assigning intent to history because it is my contention that the main actors don't know why they do stuff, by and large, either.

December 14, 2017
7:55 pm
lunazure

Back on topic, going to see Star Wars tonight.... I won't spoil it. 🙂

I think there are some who just stir up mischief to feel empowered. It's that simple. Money is allegedly a measure of empowerment. Yes it drives war. Sadly war just drops us all down the level of Darwin, animals and survival of the fittest. IMHO the fittest is the one who avoids conflict and keeps their focus on production.

I was chatting with a couple of other substitutes today. They had only been subbing five years, and really had things to complain about. As I'm a counselor, I sat there and got some practice (have to keep my skills honed or I lose them) neither of them seemed real skilled at managing kids from their talk, inclined to blame the little brats or the parents .... easy to do. But today I had a real volatile group myself, eighth grade and horsy. Some ornery kids bigger than me! It was simple stuff, some questions to answer about volcanoes, look it up in book, write out answers. They did real well, especially when I told them it was homework if not done in class. Gave them all sorts of hints. It could have been a bad day, but I was feeling happy (with the Moody RRHOF news, and Star Wars coming up.... I'm very happy these days) ..... the point I'm trying to make, is if you go into something on the defensive or with a bad attitude, it will be a bad day.

These subs then started bashing the president, and all you can say to people is "write your Congress people, we are the government" and just listen. They had a lot of garbled info I know that.... people "see what they want to see and hear what they want to hear" depending on their level of bile, and direction of their hatred. I tried tossing out a recent incident with a noted Dem senator who is resigning due to his past grabby behavior with women... no telling how these gals would have responded to me dragging up Bill Clinton (the perv) they brushed it off as trivial (of course) Politics is the only place you can be tried and convicted with absolutely no hard evidence.... just scream long and loud, and get others to join, and you can get someone fired. Isn't mankind a nice beast indeed.

After you follow the money, follow the blind dedication and loyalty to "your team" or your "enemy camp" ........ people choose up sides based on utter lies from what I can tell anymore. Then they waste taxpayer money trying to prove these utter lies.

Thus do wars start. Loyalty, blind and stupidly followed, belief in something that won't matter in 50 years.

Try to find the MOTIVATION behind the player you are in conflict with. Sometimes they have legitimate, real motivations, be flexible and try to understand what that is. Sometimes they are just trouble makers, bent on gaining social or economic power. Shrug.

I finished the John Adams mini series again. That is really so good.... you should watch it sometimes if you get a chance. Our first three presidents knew what they were about.... after that, an awful lot of crooks took up the office I'm afraid.

February 10, 2018
8:24 am
maitrishah1
Forum Posts: 253

Thank you, I will check it out later. Lots of activity here right now free game twist vouchar code generator

February 10, 2018
3:02 pm
leslee

I will not even ask what a game twist vouchar is. I'm old and sedentary. On another thread and getting back on topic, I mentioned wanting to #JHQA what good books he's read lately, but I'm too bashful. You can do it for me. There's a book in the video below. I love the lyrics.

May 21, 2018
5:17 am
rustleactual
Forum Posts: 3

Do you like reading manga? I have found a very hot online comic book site, there are hundreds of thousands of series to relax it. Let try mangafox & mangahere 2.0

LaughLaugh

September 8, 2023
11:19 am
FirstToNone
Forum Posts: 3

Unfortunately, I don’t have time to read now, and I hardly watch films. All the time is spent searching for interesting and effective business solutions. In order to promote my business, I decided to create custom brochures in the online printing service printsafari. I hope this will help reach a wide audience and showcase my services and products.

September 9, 2023
5:17 am
malcolmanderson
Forum Posts: 2

I can advice you opengamer movie. it is very interesting

This topic is locked
Forum Timezone: UTC -4

Most Users Ever Online: 87

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

nancyg: 5192

moodytoni2: 3981

leslee: 3631

lunazure: 3294

moodyballetdancer: 689

forevermoody: 291

maitrishah1: 253

Eastojamson: 245

milkwhitegown: 190

MagicalBlueTail: 166

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 2659

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 7

Forums: 20

Topics: 604

Newest Members:

larapeter, nasv6262, orbeau, malansanni70, simonaragazza, MarkBerger, hefide9605, melvinburk, Billie34, Evanyost

Moderators: Andy Martel: 0, Michelle: 0

Administrators: admin: 0