Widget ImageMore on website difficulties | Random Topics | Community

Welcome to the new Moody Blues Today forums. When using the below forums you will need to create a new username and password than what you had used on the old forums.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
More on website difficulties
March 23, 2014
12:30 am
mushertom
Forum Posts: 60
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

It appears I need to apologize for my griping about the website being so slow. Probably is my PC or my ISP. I was shopping for a new PC today at Best Buy and tested a new H.P. machine by coming to this site. The login and response times were blazing fast. No Kidding. With the demise of support for Windows XP coming in just a couple weeks, I do believe I am going to replace my 10 year old machine before it dies on its own.

March 23, 2014
12:48 am
lunazure
Forum Posts: 3294

Didn't know XP was going away thanks for the warning. What irks me is they keep upping the speed on our PCs so they can upload worms and ads faster. Otherwise it only benefits game players. Yeah you gotta have some speed to handle this site actually. I've notice that. Might be your server too, maybe you need High Speed.

March 23, 2014
9:01 am
mushertom

Yeah, Microsoft announced some time ago that as of April 8th they would no longer be providing updates and support for XP. Will really affect security issues as they will not be providing fixes for security breaches that arise. I am no computer wizard but even I know my 10 year old HP machine is on borrowed time so I went ahead and ordered a new pc from Staples. Was virtually the same as the one I test drove at Best Buy but at a much better price. Have had good luck with the H/P brand so I am sticking with it. Have a friend who had bad experiences with both Gateway and Dell so I will avoid those.

March 23, 2014
11:05 am
lunazure

I'm thinking real seriously of going to Ipods and Mac tech. I have one computer that never touches the Internet, many really vital things are on there. It's WAY behind on updates needless to day, but runs just fine, and I do my serious writing on there. The computer I use on line is periodically compromised, and I wipe the whole thing.... reload. I don't use anti virus software, it tends to block downloads. Works for me.

Keep us updated on what you get, I'm not a wizard either, but it's nice to know where the tech is going. Heheeh I started on the ground floor with DOS! Bet you did too. Amazing where we've gone isn't it? I used to jump between PC DOS, the earliest Macs and Amiga 1000!!!! I loved my Amiga. Kept me very happy through two deployments.

March 23, 2014
7:50 pm
melomaniac
Forum Posts: 45

Will you be getting Windows 8 Mushertom? Windows 7 was a leap for some people and I've heard there is a new interface for Windows 8, but that there is a way to return to a more "standard" Windows interface.

March 24, 2014
11:05 pm
mushertom

Yeah, it is an HP 500 series with Windows 8, 8GB ram and 1TB hard drive. Probably more capability that I even need but it was on sale at a nice price. I'll be using my existing monitor (only 1 year old) so I won't have the touch screen feature avaiable but that's ok. Yes, I believe one can adjust the settings so the user interface appears more like the traditional windows and not use the "tiles". Should have it by midweek.

March 25, 2014
12:49 am
lunazure

I hate learning new systems. The computer trains you to use it.......... not the other way around.

Yeah sounds cool!

March 25, 2014
10:33 am
leslee
Forum Posts: 3631

Greetings from a very old computer that doesn't let me do much on this site but type alphanumerics. What I don't like is how advancing technology encourages you to be stupider; viz., instinctively touching pictures rather than having to understand programmer logic. Ah, yes. Those primitive Egyptians with their hieroglyphs, walking around with their virtual Droids - until tech support dried up due to ill-advised fiscal policy . . .

What were we talking about?

March 27, 2014
9:47 pm
lunazure

I have no complaint about a easy to use attractive shell (ie Windows) but some "expert" out there keeps trying to idiot proof the computer paradigm and it's just STUPID. Too many bells and whistles because they CAN. Whether they SHOULD or not isn't considered, and just complicates what is actually a simple thing.

Human factors is all about the KISS principle (keep it simple silly) and being user friendly. The new systems rarely are.

I never was much at programming, but I could sure run DOS.......... I programmed a little on my Amiga just for fun, but it wasn't that exciting. You have to love that sort of thing to stay with it.

April 3, 2014
9:53 pm
mushertom

Hi gang, Mushertom is back to report yes, I did get the new PC. Have had it up and running but not using it full time yet. It is far faster than my old machine and even this website has fast responses and page changes. Fascinating. Need to transfer the files from the old machine to the new one, then i will be ready to retire the old one. One can use Windows 8 without the touch screen feature. Only caution - the new machines are not coming with typical word processing and spread sheet software installed. One has to purchase that separately. I actually loaded my 12 year old QuattroPro-10 and WordPerfect software into the new machine and it seems to be functioning properly. Maybe I will spend the $139 for the Microsoft Excel and Word Processing package, but have not decided yet.

April 4, 2014
12:13 am
lunazure

Ha!!

[this is our new catch phrase now]

Ha!!!

I'm very glad Musher.... sounds like it's going to work for you!! Welcome back to the Monkey House! :)

April 4, 2014
8:43 am
leslee
Forum Posts: 3631

Hooray, hooray,
Join the fray,
And don't let me
scare you away.

Do tell whaddup.

April 26, 2014
4:05 pm
mushertom

More info yet...

This morning I called in to a radio talk show that addresses computer issues on the air to ask about difficulties I have been having with my new computer regarding the new operating system (Windows 8) and some problems I have been having with my regular email. The host suggested I install Google Chrome as my default browser in place of Internet Explorer. Now, I was a bit uneasy about that since I feel Google has become more than a bit too intrusive into our lives but I tried it anyway. And... VOILA... problems solved. Then I got to thinking maybe the same thing could be used to correct problems with my old machine using XP so I installed Chrome in that one too. Well, the enormous difficulties I have had with this site since the change was made last fall immediately disappeared. Go figure! I am no computer wizard at all but it does seem that Internet Explorer leaves a lot to be desired.

Have already ordered tix for the Danbury CT show. Not available here yet but CT Public Broadcasting offered presale premium seating in an email direct to me about a month ago, even before it was listed on the website schedule (at a premium price of course) and I jumped at the opportunity. This summer's show comes around the time of a landmark birthday for me so I am treating myself! The band is worth it... and so am I!

Hope everyone is well, Mushertom

April 26, 2014
9:37 pm
lunazure

Well happy birthday in advance, Musher!

Good news on the computer! I don't know what to say about the dern browsers. We have so much wormy spy stuff going on with the computer browsers.... I haven't used Explorer extensively for a long time. Everything more or less runs along here pretty good. Then again I'm not afraid to wipe my hard drive either.

Musher you have to let us know how long Justin's show runs, combined with Mike's intro. We're in a tizzy about getting to PHX on time... long story, but this is going to be a fun tour methinks........

This topic is locked
Forum Timezone: UTC -4

Most Users Ever Online: 87

Currently Online:
5 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

nancyg: 5192

moodytoni2: 3981

leslee: 3631

lunazure: 3294

moodyballetdancer: 689

forevermoody: 291

maitrishah1: 253

Eastojamson: 245

milkwhitegown: 190

MagicalBlueTail: 166

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 2659

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 7

Forums: 20

Topics: 604

Newest Members:

larapeter, nasv6262, orbeau, malansanni70, simonaragazza, MarkBerger, hefide9605, melvinburk, Billie34, Evanyost

Moderators: Andy Martel: 0, Michelle: 0

Administrators: admin: 0