Widget ImageNarnia and Lord of the Rings | Random Topics | Community

Welcome to the new Moody Blues Today forums. When using the below forums you will need to create a new username and password than what you had used on the old forums.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Narnia and Lord of the Rings
December 18, 2013
1:28 am
lunazure
Forum Posts: 3294
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Thought since so many Moody fans show up who are into CS Lewis or Tolkien, we should have a separate topic. I'm wondering how many went to see the second part of the Hobbit over last weekend, and what they thought.

Myself it set me off watching the first part of the Hobbit on DVD at home..... there are a lot of really nice fine details in it, like the acting job by Fili (don't know his name) and the actor playing Balin (who is an old time actor, he's been in a million movies, and he's very good).

My brother had the same reaction I did to the second part, that is "he should have wrapped it up sooner"............ Peter Jackson apparently loves battle scenes, and the hack and slash angle. It's also pretty common in movies, this On and On CG thing with machines, robots, dragons, etc etc......... some is really fun to watch (like the impossible outrageous stuff Legolas was again doing) the dragon coated in gold at the end was fantastic too. But some of it needs to be edited down IMHO. I'm more about story, not violence. What is going on with our movies???

This time (watching the first part) I spotted a "tribute" to Disney and his dwarf story of Snow White. As I recall from reading Tolkien's diaries, he was somewhat influenced by Snow White (which came out just prior to him writing The Hobbit) we don't realize it now, but Snow White was a serious milestone in animation, the first full length movie all animated (and nicely done too, I think we would all agree, those of us who love fine art) but one of the dwarves is "breathing moths" and I think the same scene is in Snow White. Just noticed it... Laugh

May 4, 2014
9:09 pm
lunazure

I think Tolkien would be proud.

May 6, 2014
6:28 pm
MagicalBlueTail
Forum Posts: 166

I wandered here this thread got off to and back again....

https://i0.wp.com/i99.photobucket.com/albums/l315/lvb_2006/math_zps19f0d456.jpg?w=100Image Enlarger

Wink

May 6, 2014
8:28 pm
lunazure

:)

Nice to see you again Sphinx! (I literally was just thinking of you as I was cooking, go figure why). Hey the way I put this song up, I've been researching this project I'm doing to keep my certification up, "Poetry of Rock" and some of the kids mentioned "Ed Sherman".......... so I went out searching for that name, and it turned up "Ed Sheeran" and I was delighted to match him up with that knock out song on the end of The Hobbit.

Isn't he incredible? Oh MY just too much attractive Celtic male for me to deal with all around! The dude playing Bilbo is quite nice looking too.

leslee is doing ok BTW, she's writing off line, very busy right now.

You take care Sphinx!!! It's a crazy world out there, isn't it??? :) I just found another Richard Bach book and it sorta pulled me out of the slump I was in........

May 7, 2014
7:17 pm
MagicalBlueTail

nice to see you to...and I bet if this statue stood up we'd see him! I found it on facebook....the poster said it reminded him of middle earth...and stated its whereabouts
Colosso dell’Appennino, 1580sculptor: Giambologna (1529-1608)Villa Demidoff Park, Tuscany, Italy

https://i0.wp.com/i99.photobucket.com/albums/l315/lvb_2006/563226_415548131867605_1222293244_n_zpsfc5e7af7.jpg?w=100Image Enlarger

Richard Bach has another book?

Ed is kinda cute huh?Wink

May 8, 2014
1:17 am
lunazure

Richard Bach crashed BADLY about two years ago... almost died! The book is about his recovery, near death experiences. *Illusions II* it rambled a little, but I'll excuse him. Dealing with Death, that sort of thing. I'm doing it too as I get older. For better or worse. I always forget how much his earlier books mean to me until I read something new by him.

I have a very fatal attraction for Irish men, which is probably why I'm still single. Confused "Cute" isn't everything.

That is one very cool statue.......... sorta like Mt. Rushmore of Italy. I've never heard of it, where do you find these things??? WOW. I want one in my back yard!!! If you've seen Ben Hur (the one with Charlton Heston) there are Colossos's in the chariot race scene. The Romans like that sort of thing. There was also a Colossos at Rhodes of course, you had to sail between his legs to enter the harbor. I've always wondered what you saw when you looked up. We'll never know, but it's entirely likely the Christians blew it up for a reason. Wink

I guess I'd better wrap it up here... getting past my rack time..............

May 21, 2014
8:29 pm
lunazure

Found an interview with Viggo Mortensen LOTR fans might enjoy. I agree with him, I think some of Tolkien's message got lost in the CG. But that's what sells.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.c.....nQelUsCAAA

May 23, 2014
1:55 pm
MagicalBlueTail

lunazure said

Found an interview with Viggo Mortensen LOTR fans might enjoy. I agree with him, I think some of Tolkien's message got lost in the CG. But that's what sells.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.c.....nQelUsCAAA

good interview...I agree with you too--hollywood these days does its market research primarily to find out what sells in order to survive and operate...buuuuut, if jackson does well enough with it so far he's gotten away with it...I only wish that he had left this segment in the film (just found it a day or so ago):

Per Gimli: "Negotiations concluded"Laugh

7+1=8

May 23, 2014
10:29 pm
lunazure

PWWHWHHHWHWH............ I DO have the extended version and have watched it over and over. THIS HAS TO BE MY FAVORITE SCENE IN THE MOVIE. Alas it is not exactly like in the book, but it was something they just couldn't resist I'm sure. LaughLaugh

I take that back, I have two other scenes I really really love in the book. One is the BOOK version of Eowyn taking out the Morgul king (differs from the movie, and Jackson BOTCHED that. Tolkien was a true dramatist and poet. He totally lost the visuals in the original book version) and in the movie, my favorite scene is Pippin singing a cappela over the charge of the knights of Rohan. Wow........... what a voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45WXQZ8-tPc

May 31, 2014
2:09 pm
MagicalBlueTail

lunazure said

PWWHWHHHWHWH............ I DO have the extended version and have watched it over and over. THIS HAS TO BE MY FAVORITE SCENE IN THE MOVIE. Alas it is not exactly like in the book, but it was something they just couldn't resist I'm sure. LaughLaugh

I take that back, I have two other scenes I really really love in the book. One is the BOOK version of Eowyn taking out the Morgul king (differs from the movie, and Jackson BOTCHED that. Tolkien was a true dramatist and poet. He totally lost the visuals in the original book version) and in the movie, my favorite scene is Pippin singing a cappela over the charge of the knights of Rohan. Wow........... what a voice.

Yeah, I really enjoy that part about Eowyn too..."I am no man" surprise!!!!!!!! Pippin does have a good voiceover to the rohan scene, I agree. I am currently reading the appendixes to the LOTR. I haven't visited the book in quite some years. Tolkien was a genius esp with the languages he "invented". An interesting thing with me in my rekindled interest in the books is that simultaneously I have noticed some alterations to my own perception of things (you may laugh here, although don't think I am making fun towards these 'wee' folk because I'm not): since I recently begun working in East New Orleans, I have never seen so many little people under one roof and in the same vincinity--every now and then when I think I have gotten a good head count (I thought at least nearly over a dozen), ANOTHER one walks into my reality field and I'm of course like...
https://i0.wp.com/i99.photobucket.com/albums/l315/lvb_2006/6883183f-3e5d-4a98-a24d-ecc8e2fcb250_zps2b89ca95.jpg?w=100Image Enlarger

"how sheltered has my life really been??"

.-like just the other day in the hall while I was going over to the other side of the building--she was a pretty little black one (the first I've seen of that ethnicity in fact). I haven't been courageous enough to inquire or even look long enough because or someone thinking maybe I'm a bit ruuuuuude, because someone who takes care of my mom asked if I knew the difference between midget and dwarf and too because of standing EEO oriented stuff in the workplace, you know ... so it's not like I am going to stare long enough to make a determination like that--although admittedly it is hard NOT to want to look, esp to me being so many of them (I think someone there's about 1000 people in all who work in the facility there...) I am not sure what is the most appropriate thing to do except keep myself to myself and just focus on my work, but still I do find it rather amusing to find myself caught up in my own bemusement at this time and just deal with it Smile

anyway, getting back to Tolkien, I found a link that if you haven't already, you might find it entertaining yourself
http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/primelv.htm
Primitive Elvish-Where It All Began

I leave you for now with a image that I found on the wicked web but had to 'doctor' before posting...

https://i0.wp.com/i99.photobucket.com/albums/l315/lvb_2006/13ce3289-399a-4b25-b8d9-9236928b084d_zps1af134b2.jpg?w=100Image Enlarger

I think in the end Mr Jackson might wanna get it all straightened out somehow....Wink

xoxox
Sphinx

June 9, 2014
10:58 pm
lunazure

HEY great link! I've actually been looking for something like that. In my spare time I want to somehow reconstruct all the pre-history to the LOTR saga. Learning Elvish is part of it.

Last I heard, all folks formerly known as Dwarves and Midgets are now known as Little People. I don't run across them often. I did see a Little dude on the BART in the Bay Area. Just a dude. They have their own social groups and such, and networks. They are different medical conditions. It's not so common now, most cases of dwarfism can be corrected by re-balancing the hormones.

June 10, 2014
7:37 pm
MagicalBlueTail

This stuff is actually very pretty (Artsy!!)

Learn to 'write' in Tenguar
http://quenya101.com/elvish-co.....ttllmytyly

June 22, 2014
12:16 pm
lunazure

thanks, keeping that link! Hey Sphinx have you seen the second Thor movie? It's LOTR on steroids.... I've been watching it today.

June 28, 2014
12:19 pm
MagicalBlueTail

lunazure said

thanks, keeping that link! Hey Sphinx have you seen the second Thor movie? It's LOTR on steroids.... I've been watching it today.

I Have seen snatches of it....I had it on DVD...and gave it away...

Here is an 'acted out' version of the conversation between Tolkien and CS Lewis...right down my alley......very interesting

June 28, 2014
12:29 pm
MagicalBlueTail

http://www.salon.com/2003/12/0.....ien_lewis/
The real fellowship of the ring

How J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis' all-night argument about God paved the way for both "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Chronicles of Narnia."
6+2=8

June 28, 2014
12:54 pm
leslee
Forum Posts: 3631

That was a fun article. Thanks for sharing. I is-pose I will try harder to appreciate truth in fiction, but please don't make me read it. I liked that line about another elf, but where could I use it?

June 28, 2014
8:37 pm
lunazure

sniff........... Cry

Thank you Sphinx, I sat here a little weepy listening to the video. Right on. I need that sort of thing occasionally. Likewise, very good article........ I've read all this stuff in bits and pieces over the years. You do be brilliant.

*That Hideous Strength* is one of the funniest, most warped, profound fiction books I've ever read (I suspect it went over that reviewer's head too). I need to read it again. Lewis was a genius. They both were. You'd enjoy it, leslee, with all the issues around "corporate" madness. Bring on the talking heads.

Yeah the line about "another elf" was priceless, agreed. :) I actually picked up "The Fellowship" a few nights ago for my "bathtub" reading (I don't take good books to the bathtub, it's a cheap dime novel) been reading the beginning where Gandalf is talking about the Ring (in Frodo's parlour) and how it fits into the greater scheme. Been a good deal of help lately. The Ring of Power, alas, comes in many shapes and sizes, and sometimes when we least expect it, it will take hold of us. Constant vigilance.

I really need to go start work on some projects. You guys are great to chat with but you drag me off task. Some of us are still imprisoned in a world of logic and "material" alas. And you can't mythos a machine into behaving itself...... much as I wish it were true.

Laugh

If I didn't say it before: *Freud's Last Session* by Mark St. Germain. Only two characters, Freud and C.S. Lewis. Quite funny in parts, and I think the Nazis are getting ready to bomb them. I found it cheap on Amazon.com

July 8, 2014
6:07 pm
MagicalBlueTail

I do realize that Tolkien's son didn't care too much for the cinematic version of his father's stories, and many don't like Peter Jackson's remade version of the books, but at least one Tolkien is rather enthusiastic about the films...the great great grandson himself had this to say....Wink

10+1=11

July 8, 2014
6:17 pm
MagicalBlueTail

leslee said

I liked that line about another elf, but where could I use it?

find the lost road, go there and back again--or if you're like me, you may be tempted to stay...there you can use itWink
7+4=11

July 8, 2014
6:53 pm
MagicalBlueTail

oh I think I have to correct myself--Royd is the great grandson, not the great great....

This topic is locked
Forum Timezone: UTC -4

Most Users Ever Online: 87

Currently Online:
8 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

nancyg: 5192

moodytoni2: 3981

leslee: 3631

lunazure: 3294

moodyballetdancer: 689

forevermoody: 291

maitrishah1: 253

Eastojamson: 245

milkwhitegown: 190

MagicalBlueTail: 166

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 2659

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 7

Forums: 20

Topics: 604

Newest Members:

larapeter, nasv6262, orbeau, malansanni70, simonaragazza, MarkBerger, hefide9605, melvinburk, Billie34, Evanyost

Moderators: Andy Martel: 0, Michelle: 0

Administrators: admin: 0