Widget ImageParamount Theater in Seattle, WA | Random Topics | Community

Welcome to the new Moody Blues Today forums. When using the below forums you will need to create a new username and password than what you had used on the old forums.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Paramount Theater in Seattle, WA
December 16, 2014
10:49 am
jannawillow
Forum Posts: 2
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I saw the Moody Blues at the Paramount Theater in Seattle last year and see that they're coming back again this year. I was wondering how I would make a productive comment regarding the sound quality in the theater. The band plays quite loud and so the sound distortion kind of ruins the quality. Being a huge fan it's easy to overlook and just get into the spirit of the music. But if there was a way to communicate to the crew that sets up the amps and how they're pointed...maybe this could be improved upon. I can't help feeling the band would want it to be better. It is true that the theater was built in 1918 and was probably really more geared for some operatic singing and not rock n' roll amplifiers, but my other half mentioned something to me about the way the amps were pointing directly at the folks sitting up front who are already fairly well blasted out....and not in a direction that might improve sound quality overall. Any ideas on how to get this subject through to the appropriate folks would be great. Thanks for listening.

December 16, 2014
11:43 am
lunazure
Forum Posts: 3294

I was in a total fog when I was there, it was a long day, and I did the storyteller. Justin was just recovering from a cold too, for that show, so it probably didn't sound all that great. My understanding is Justin takes time during the sound check to go around the House (especially in the vintage theatres) and check how the sound is there, and they make adjustments. He has some skills in architectural acoustics apparently. Hopefully they'll take your thoughts to heart, I think they come over here and read sometimes.

I know in the Schnitzer in Portland (they've played there several times in the past 20 years) the sound is always incredible, even from the back of the balcony where I sat once. Those old opera houses have their own peculiar sounds.

I plan to go this year.... it would be nice to have a gathering of local fans, I live in Kitsap.

December 16, 2014
6:18 pm
jannawillow
Forum Posts: 2

Thank you for your response. I didn't know if anyone would. It is really good to know that Justin does all that for himself. I had no idea. I guess the thoughts that we non-professionals had was that the people down in front already get blasted, whereas those of us up top get a lot more distortion and "fogginess" of sound. What it some of the amps pointed more up? Would it result in more clarity? On the other note... I could not tell that he was sick. It must be hard to work and perform when you're under the weather. Seattle in the more rainy months can make a lot of us cloud up. I've been to their concerts in Arizona, Desert Sky, Seattle Key Arena several times and this last time at the Paramount. I heard the Byrds there long ago. I tried to see them in Boise last year but when we got to town it was cancelled because someone was sick. But, luckily for me my husband bought surprise tickets for the last Seattle show for my birthday. I will be pushing for a repeat this coming year.

December 16, 2014
10:18 pm
lunazure

Justin's been doing pretty good lately with his colds, but yeah it catches up with him. One year I know they had to cancel Boise 'cause his throat went out. I don't know how they ALL do it, approaching 70 as they all are.

I'm afraid I don't pay much attention to the speakers at the rock shows. Pretty much it's a "crank up the amps" and I'm usually close enough to get ear damage so I try to take earplugs. I'm really into close up show! And the music of course. Justin's solo shows were a whole other kettle of fish, I've very much enjoyed seeing those in the past year. Lot more emphasis on the sound quality.

I took an early ferry over (walk on) last time they did the Paramount and sorta wandered Seattle for a couple of hours. It was very depressing in the rain and I don't think I'll go over so early this time. It's a bit of a walk up the hill, but worth it when you don't have to drive all the way around again, or find parking etc.

I try not to reply too much. A friend of mine and I were sorta dominating the place a few months ago, but no one would join in alas. So I plan to be a little more restrained. It seems best. (I can be quite hoggy with bandwidth on newsgroups)

April 16, 2015
3:50 pm
Seattleblue
Forum Posts: 6

I have been to many shows in The Paramount. To me there is no problem with the sound.Could be 40 years of concerts have wreaked my hearing. Just happy to be going again to see them again. I was hoping to meet up with some other fans before the show. Not sure where to go anymore. With the Cloud room gone, I guess there is that Asain place at the bottom of The Paramount Hotel. I don;t know. So many new places, Dislike trying to get a drink at the Paramount. way to crowded. Taking mother with me again. This will be her 2nd MB show. Last one was at the Puyallup Fair. She is now 78. Still rockin Laugh

April 16, 2015
7:32 pm
lunazure

I can't think of any place either Sometimes people meet at the HRC on Pike I guess it is. If you think of any place, please post here, I'll meet you for one. I don't drink anymore but there's always tonic water.

April 21, 2015
2:25 pm
Seattleblue

Yay just one more day.Will hang out at the Flying Fish Cafe before the show. Bottom of the Paramount Hotel.

April 22, 2015
11:35 am
lunazure

If I get there before they open, will drop by. I'm wearing a red carnation! ;)

April 22, 2015
12:25 pm
Seattleblue

Nice. If I don't see ya I.m in sec 2 row L

April 22, 2015
8:45 pm
leslee
Forum Posts: 3631

You West Coasters have it so good. Give Justin my love.

April 23, 2015
1:07 pm
Seattleblue

My high hopes were shattered last night by the show at The Paramount in Seattle. WOW True to previous posted set lists. You tube videos cannot convey how tight the band is. How cool the light show is. The beaming proudness of the band to show case their music, Yes they made it through the 60's and were there last night. Blinkin unbelievable. The crowd, with an average age of 50 made it known their long affection for the band and music with many standing ovations and cheering that the younger generation can only dream of. Just want to say thanks for letting me be a part of it. Laugh

April 23, 2015
2:07 pm
lunazure

I feel the same. I'm still sorting out my notes, and I'm headed to Portland tomorrow. I ran into my friend Martha, and I KNOW she lurks here! ;) my contact email is

josiec5150@gmail.com

(anyone can write me, and if it's hate mail, it will be reposted!!!! heheh [evil chuckle])

I was up in the mosh pit with Paul Allan of all people! (In front of Norda) Gordy said he bumped into Paul backstage!!! Mr. Allan is a great philanthropist here in Seattle, and probably is a huge grant person for the theatre, and seemed to be working with security. He's sorta cute up close if he's who I think he is, and was having a ball!!! I'll write up a review soon.

Sorry to miss you Seattleblue.... I tend to get a little weird at Moody concerts..... go into "gypsy" mode and am terribly unreliable for "meeting" people.........

leslee, by all means, I think Justin is accepting cyber thought and love waves from all. Send him a cyber hug. He seemed like he needed some sleep last night, perhaps it was a busy "working" break for him. Laugh

You EAST coasters have the luck......... I'm wondering if Justin isn't just doing his next solo show tour (August) back east. It seems like the Sept dates are very slow to come, and certainly not meandering out my way..... Cry

April 24, 2015
12:35 am
leslee
Forum Posts: 3631

But, alas! All Justin's shows are in the Northeast. That may be all we get, as it is being billed as a Tourette, I didn't enjoy the press release. Justin is too poetic to fit that mold. I miss the old days when interviews with him were shock-full of truth and beauty. On the bright side, he has not announced a gig in New York Planet. I love the scene, but getting there is too much for my nerves and budget. Of late, I've spent so much effort getting there, I haven't had a chance to enjoy being there. Which reminds me - I really need to be on a different spiritual plane, dontcha think?

April 24, 2015
9:14 pm
floppysmama
Forum Posts: 1

Thankj you for coming to Seattle. We brought our friends from high school and enjoyed your concert immensely, you all blessed our souls and we love you for this! Have a safe and happy tour. Cool

This topic is locked
Forum Timezone: UTC -4

Most Users Ever Online: 87

Currently Online:
5 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

nancyg: 5192

moodytoni2: 3981

leslee: 3631

lunazure: 3294

moodyballetdancer: 689

forevermoody: 291

maitrishah1: 253

Eastojamson: 245

milkwhitegown: 190

MagicalBlueTail: 166

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 2667

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 7

Forums: 20

Topics: 604

Newest Members:

Hurtubise, oilumiun12, monkaw, janelancy, ashbrails, edispirited, cin997, pavloviktorko, larapeter, nasv6262

Moderators: Andy Martel: 0, Michelle: 0

Administrators: admin: 0