Widget ImageWho Else? | Random Topics | Community

Welcome to the new Moody Blues Today forums. When using the below forums you will need to create a new username and password than what you had used on the old forums.

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In

Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
This topic is locked
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Who Else?
August 16, 2015
6:34 pm
leslee
Forum Posts: 3631
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Of course we all know Justin has the best voice in the world. The main reason is it sends a chill up my spine, but he sings precisely in-tune, he's smooth and clear, and there's something about his inflections, for lack of a better word. When he sings bass notes, I go crazy.

But I was listening to something that reminded me of Roy Orbison, and I started mentally naming voices I liked. So, the question is, who out there do you think has a great voice. Here are some of my faves, not in any order:

1. Maggie Skroski - I used to work with her a lot doing music for the kids at church. Her voice is beautiful and about as unpretentious as one can get.
2. Katie Jevne - You don't know her either. She lived here awhile. She was a soloist, and I couldn't listen to her without crying. I wouldn't mind hearing how she does backing up Justin
3. Roy Orbison - goes without saying
4. Johnny Mathis - so unusual, it's beautiful
5. The lead singer of Remy Zero - I can't nail down why
6. Perry Como - nice intonation and inflection
7. Jim Morrison - great voice, like Perry Como doing beat poetry
8. David Bowie - hard to believe that red-headed kid so jittery could sing so well.
9. Tom Jones and Englebert Humperdink (sp?)
10. Ben Carson - I've never heard him sing, but his voice is delightful. (The Mentalist talks like him, too; but looks like Rand Paul).
11. Eric Woolfson - smooth and clear
12. Steve Vai - same
13. John Lodge on "Street Café" - not so much Lodgey, as that is what somebody told me was the name of his falsetto, but I don't know if I believe that story.
14 Ray Thomas
15. Garth Brooks - kinda reminds me of Justin some times

I'm gonna post before this site does something else weird. It erased some of my posts, called me MusherTom, and who knows what-all. Webmaster?

August 17, 2015
4:32 pm
lunazure
Forum Posts: 3294

So many to choose from. My Ex has a wonderful voice but he never sings. Check out that nice young Peter Mayer I just put in the "listening to now" thread. Thank you for including Jim Morrison. Yes he did have a lovely voice, me Mum even liked him.

I like Garth Brooks for keeping the Bob Wills thing alive, bless him. Some of the Texas Playboys had lovely voices. As my cousin puts it "there's a hillbilly behind every bush with a guitar, a good voice and talent down here" (he lives in Oklahoma)

Yes Dr. Carson has a lovely voice, so does Marco Rubio and for no other reason that that, I would be happy to see either of them as president, because at least they SOUND good. So many presidents we've had over my lifetime have really irritating speaking voices. Or mispronounce "nuclear" ....

August 17, 2015
5:38 pm
leslee

Oui, and Jimmy Cowduh was a nucular physicist.

August 17, 2015
5:39 pm
leslee

Our local leaders like to talk about per-Q-lation, as in, "You need to add pervious pavers to your development to enhance stormwater per-Q-lation."

August 18, 2015
12:38 pm
lunazure

It's "percolate" isn't it? I don't use that word often.... my septic does it I theen Queeeese-draw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLRZWNe_sNw

August 18, 2015
1:00 pm
leslee

Karen Carpenter was one of the few female vocalists I enjoyed. There is a girl who performed around here not too long ago, who sounded just like her to my hearing. But more than Karen, I enjoyed listening to Richard - not the funny voice in "Sleighride," but the smooth voice in other backups, as in "We've Only Just Begun." (Did you notice the AXS interviewer used one of my words to describe Justin's voice? Thass 'cos he's so smooth, just like the ocean under the moon . . .

Deo was great, too, but I would be likewise on chorus.

August 18, 2015
3:00 pm
lunazure

Joni squeaks sometimes, but I still love her voice, style and writing skills. Yes the Carpenters were pretty good too, I agree. Mammas and Pappas... so many super good artists in the 60s I would be at a loss to mention them all.

August 18, 2015
11:46 pm
leslee

I don't particularly share Justin's taste in music, but the Everly Brothers harmonized beautifully - none of that "sit on the piano keys" chording.

September 19, 2015
10:23 am
leslee

I also like the guy who sang lead for Remy Zero. Cinjun was it?

September 20, 2015
6:38 pm
leslee

Oops. I duped.

December 28, 2015
12:46 am
lunazure

I took over *Wizard of Oz* to my son's house for Christmas eve, my grandson has not seen it yet (I'm a huge Oz freak) my grandson was acting like a four year old on Christmas Eve (duh) but he stopped spinning when Judy Garland started singing "Somewhere over the Rainbow" as hackneyed as the song and presentation is, it's still a very very lovely scene (can't believe they considered cutting it for time) As everyone got quiet, I leaned over to my grandson and whispered "she has a pretty voice doesn't she? and he nodded agreement. The little spud has an ear for melody that's for sure. Sorta amazing.

I'll take my guitar over tomorrow, I have a babysitting date, must think of some easy fun songs. I wish I could take him to a Moodies show sometime. Well, there's still hope. He'd enjoy it....

My point being, Judy Garland and her daughter Liza both had really nice voices, versatile too. *Cabaret* is also one of my favorite movies. A shame both of them were/are sorta booze hounds... Cry so often so much vocal talent goes along with inability to handle the stress of stardom. And the inevitable slide back down. Confused

July 6, 2018
8:42 am
maitrishah1
Forum Posts: 253
This topic is locked
Forum Timezone: UTC -4

Most Users Ever Online: 87

Currently Online:
15 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

nancyg: 5192

moodytoni2: 3981

leslee: 3631

lunazure: 3294

moodyballetdancer: 689

forevermoody: 291

maitrishah1: 253

Eastojamson: 245

milkwhitegown: 190

MagicalBlueTail: 166

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 2667

Moderators: 2

Admins: 1

Forum Stats:

Groups: 7

Forums: 20

Topics: 604

Newest Members:

Hurtubise, oilumiun12, monkaw, janelancy, ashbrails, edispirited, cin997, pavloviktorko, larapeter, nasv6262

Moderators: Andy Martel: 0, Michelle: 0

Administrators: admin: 0